Author Topic: Andy Katz draft blog  (Read 7677 times)

Andy Katz draft blog
« on: June 24, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3458513&name=katz_andy

A potential deal with Memphis and New York apparently has some legs. The Knicks, who have the No. 6 pick, would get the Grizzlies' No. 5 pick and give David Lee and other considerations to Memphis. New York would then select UCLA's Russell Westbrook and Italy's Danilo Gallinari with its No. 5 and No. 6 picks. If Memphis selects UCLA's Kevin Love, that is a strong indicator that the Grizzlies are keeping the pick.

If it was any other team beside Memphis, I wouldn't believe it. 

Detroit and Boston are sitting with "catcher's mitts" at Nos. 29 and 30, respectively, to see who falls to them. But the Celtics are willing to move No. 30 since they're not desperate to add another roster body, especially with 2007 second-round pick Gabe Pruitt on the books for next season.

I hope a big name drops that another team really wants and offers the Celtics a future 1st.  I just don't see the player drafted there helping the team that much this season.

Re: Andy Katz draft blog
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:49:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yes, only Chris Wallace would give up the #5 pick in a fairly solid draft to get David Lee.  I've got to assume that if this happens, it's another financially motivated deal, with the Knicks taking back salary.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Chris Wallace & The Knicks in the same sentence.

A real meeting of the minds there. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:53:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 02:05:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Yes, only Chris Wallace would give up the #5 pick in a fairly solid draft to get David Lee.  I've got to assume that if this happens, it's another financially motivated deal, with the Knicks taking back salary.
I mentioned the rumoured deal in the other Wallace thread .... I think it was Chad Ford that broke it .... Lee+Malik Rose (expiring) for #5 plus Brian Cardinal. Save a years salary.

It would be a bad decision for Memphis. Great trade for the Knicks.

In fairness David Lee is freakishly overvalued, it's easy to see how a deal like this could be sought after.

If I'm the Knicks I'm looking for Conley to be included and for the Knicks to include #6 in return. Ideally to draft Kevin Love. Conley is a better point guard than everyone in the draft outside of Derrick Rose. Fits that D'Antoni offense beautifully.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 02:06:10 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
With the new 2 year rule coming into affect next season I think the Celtics should make there selection this year. I think trading away our pick this season when the draft is deep would be against our best interest for the future.

Next season we'll have a smaller talent pool to select from. We'll be stuck with the sophmores, and juniors who weren't confident, talented, or ready enough to come out this year. I'm sure we can find someone who can contribute in some way this upcoming season.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
With the new 2 year rule coming into affect next season I think the Celtics should make there selection this year. I think trading away our pick this season when the draft is deep would be against our best interest for the future.

Next season we'll have a smaller talent pool to select from. We'll be stuck with the sophmores, and juniors who weren't confident, talented, or ready enough to come out this year. I'm sure we can find someone who can contribute in some way this upcoming season.

They will make a pick no matter what.  They might just be picking for another team.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 02:16:11 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
yeah, thats a nice little loophole - make the pick and trade it on draft night for a future first - I'd be all over that if it happened, but I don't know why someone else would do it
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 02:17:32 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
yeah, thats a nice little loophole - make the pick and trade it on draft night for a future first - I'd be all over that if it happened, but I don't know why someone else would do it

Teams fall in love with a guy.  Guy drops to a spot where the Celtics are ready trade pick.  Team think falling guy better then what they will get in the future. 

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 02:17:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

The two-year rule won't be implemented next season.  From what David Stern said, he has no current plans to reopen the Collective Bargaining Agreement early, which is what would be required to implement a new rule change about draft eligibility.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 02:30:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Teams fall in love with a guy.  Guy drops to a spot where the Celtics are ready trade pick.  Team think falling guy better then what they will get in the future. 

Exactly.  This is why the C's gave up a first rounder to get Rondo, when they could have bought another first rounder a couple picks later.  They loved Rondo and saw a chance to get him.

If someone like Hibbert falls to 30, I could definitely see a team offering a future first for him.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 02:44:14 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
If Hibbert falls to 30 then we take him and keep him because he fills a need AND is the BPA.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 03:00:59 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

The two-year rule won't be implemented next season.  From what David Stern said, he has no current plans to reopen the Collective Bargaining Agreement early, which is what would be required to implement a new rule change about draft eligibility.

Thanks for letting me know Roy. I guess that's what happens when you watch sportcenter with the sound off at the gym. I could've sworn they had a huge meeting mid-season about it.

If that's the case i'm all for trading the pick if the C's don't see anyone they would like.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If Hibbert falls to 30 then we take him and keep him because he fills a need AND is the BPA.

Regardless of whether he will be a bust or not, I don't think he fits into the C's defensive system at all.  He just lacks the lateral quickness and athleticism to excell in the C's defense.  So if a team offers them a first rounder next year for him, my guess is they would jump at the opportunity (remember, they don't have a first rounder next year).

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 04:00:14 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

Exactly.  This is why the C's gave up a first rounder to get Rondo, when they could have bought another first rounder a couple picks later.  They loved Rondo and saw a chance to get him.

If someone like Hibbert falls to 30, I could definitely see a team offering a future first for him.

by the same token though, if someone loves a guy who falls to 30, they must not love him that much as they would have drafted him with their pick or bought a pick in the mid 20s...
When you love life, life loves you right back