Poll

What type of player should we be looking for at 30?

Long athletic 3
3 (11.1%)
Long athletic 4
0 (0%)
Center
7 (25.9%)
Best player Available
17 (63%)
Back up Point
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: June 25, 2008, 08:40:16 AM

Author Topic: What type of player should we be looking for at 30?  (Read 9517 times)

Re: What type of player should we be looking for at 30?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The celtics need a backup for Perk.  Assuming PJ does not return, or SP for that matter, we need some length in the middle. Of course KG can play there but what happens if Perk hurts that shoulder again.  Leon and Baby are too short for extended minutes in that spot.  How about the kid who played with Leon at Cal at 30?

This got me thinking, with KG listed at 6'11",(not sure i believe that) when was the last time a world champ had no seven footer on the roster.  Maybe more often than I realize.

I don't think there will be anyone available who will be able to step right into the rotation as a center next year.  All of the centers available that late are at least a year or two away.

Not saying we shouldn't take one, just saying we can't count on any of them playing a role on this years team.

On the other hand, there may be some wings that could slide to us who could step right in (CDR, Walker, Lee...maybe Jordan)

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 11:52:09 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I trust Danny. He seems to be able to find solid role players and people late in the draft.

I'd like to see a Perk-sized and type project.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 11:52:54 AM »

Offline 12417

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Interesting point on the wing player needed. TA is potentially that player and it usually takes a full year to 18mos to recover from his injury. In year two of recovery most athletes are back to where they were prior to injury. If the C's draft a wingman then they probably are letting TA go. They seem to have been pretty high on him though standing by him through his legal problems and his injury/attitude problems I think it would take someone special for them to abandon him at this point.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Bill Walker or Kyle Weaver

Walker is very athletic and he has a VERY bright future if he can stay healthy..

Weaver is 6'6" and can play the point. He was the quarterback of a 3 guard offense in college. He can drive the lane and make things happen. He has a nice mid range game as well. His shooting needs work but his 3pt% went us A LOT from his junior to senior year so he has shown hes putting work into it. Weaver was one of the best defenders in college basketball this year. He was matched up with the opposing teams best wing player every night. He can guard the 1, 2, and 3. He'll need to get a little stronger and improve his shooting but I think he'll be a good NBA player with the right team.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Interesting point on the wing player needed. TA is potentially that player and it usually takes a full year to 18mos to recover from his injury. In year two of recovery most athletes are back to where they were prior to injury. If the C's draft a wingman then they probably are letting TA go. They seem to have been pretty high on him though standing by him through his legal problems and his injury/attitude problems I think it would take someone special for them to abandon him at this point.

I don't know if they are as high on him with the team they have now.  He was a better fit on the younger team, where he was able to be more of a focal point of the offense.  This year I think he showed a lack on concentration (which he has shown in the past as well), which does not bode well for his long term role as a roleplayer on this team.

I wouldn't be surprised if they draft a wing this year as his eventual replacement, and then if Allen has a decent year, they use him as a sign and trade in the offseason to bring in someone who fits in better.

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 01:03:09 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Presuming Walker's ACL is fine, he'd be a great pick.

Bill Walker or Kyle Weaver

Walker is very athletic and he has a VERY bright future if he can stay healthy..

Weaver is 6'6" and can play the point. He was the quarterback of a 3 guard offense in college. He can drive the lane and make things happen. He has a nice mid range game as well. His shooting needs work but his 3pt% went us A LOT from his junior to senior year so he has shown hes putting work into it. Weaver was one of the best defenders in college basketball this year. He was matched up with the opposing teams best wing player every night. He can guard the 1, 2, and 3. He'll need to get a little stronger and improve his shooting but I think he'll be a good NBA player with the right team.

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
If the Celtics are resigning Posey, House and TA, then the wing is very low on the list.

Celtics need to replace Cassell, PJ and Pollard. 

I think a C is number 1 on the list followed by PG and guy to stash overseas.
i agree here...is Nathan Tawaii(sp),the guy who looks like D.Dawkins(Chaocolat Thunder)?If so i saw him playing on TV a bit,looks ok.

If the Cs draft Jawai to pair with BBD, they better restock the team buffet.  Jawai is this year's "Baby Shaq" like the Greek kid the Clipprs  selected in the second round a few years ago.  So far, there's only one Shaq that I know of.   

ive heard a certain kid in orlando get called baby shaq, and i think he's pretty darn good.  ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 01:12:18 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Whoever scores highest on Ainge's brain test thingie...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 01:36:45 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Long atheletic center who's NBA ready with a decent amount of upside.

Devon Hardin

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 01:45:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Long atheletic center who's NBA ready with a decent amount of upside.

Devon Hardin

NBA ready based on what?  All he has shown in college is that he is NOT NBA ready.  He looks like Patrick O'Bryant version 2.0.  Great potential on paper, but for some reason, just isn't a good basketball player.

The only way I would take him is if the C's were able to determine that he just had absolutely no coaching in college, and that is why he was never able to make good on his potential.

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'm fine with any of the following three options:

1) Defensive minded big man with length.  If P.J. retires, we're left with very little down low.  I like Powe and Baby, but both are probably closer to 6-6 than 6-8. 

2) Best available player.  This really couldn't hurt, especially with things so up in the air in terms of free agency.

3) A project with big upside.  This might not be terrible either, especially when you consider how desirable of a place Boston probably is for free agents.  Sure we have holes, but most of them could be filled in the short term with free agent signings.  What we can't fill via free agency is a young stud to begin to step in as the Big Three fade.  Rolling the dice on a raw project with big upside could help bridge the gap from the Big Three era to the Rondo/blank/blank era. 

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 03:37:05 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
The way I see it, are two best options are:

1) Center (not an undersized PF), a back up for Perk
2) SG/SF to groom to take over for Ray or Pierce

The number 1 priority should be a SF/SG because we can find a back up C more easily than a starter to groom. With that said if there is no prospect (Walker would be my choice) worth it at 30, a center like Hardin would be the logical choice.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 03:57:52 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
You draft for talent first.

Best player available at your pick.

We're a Championship team....we don't have any dire "needs".

Just get someone who has talent, upside, potential, good moral character....if he doesn't work out here he can still have quality trade value.

Various rumors/reports have the C's possibly taking Hibbert.....the dude can play and he would be an absolute steal at #30.

I have no problem with that pick at all.