Author Topic: PFs at #30  (Read 6499 times)

PFs at #30
« on: June 20, 2008, 09:27:23 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
it's weird how the one position that we don't have a need at is the position with the most depth available where we are picking:

DJ White
JJ Hickson
Ryan Anderson
Nathan Jawai
Sege Ibaka
Richard Hendrix

I usually am in favor of taking the BPA, but i don't know this year....of the list, JJ Hickson is the most intriguing to me because it appears that he has a very high ceiling

Re: PFs at #30
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 09:54:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
DJ White is the player out of that group that interests me the most. He's going to be a very solid pro player.

Ibaka is the the one with the most upside but he has a lot of work to do.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:04:34 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
DJ White is the player out of that group that interests me the most. He's going to be a very solid pro player.

yeah, i think any other year and i could have gotten really excited about landing a guy like White....great college career and i've seen him play a lot and agree that he is going to be a solid pro, but with needs at C and SF and an overload at PF, it's hard to get too excited about a guy like him.

plus, if we are going to get a big, i would much rather get a scrapper like Kaun in the second round.

i really don't know what Danny is going to do.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Jason Thompson I think could be a major steal at 30.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Jason Thompson I think could be a major steal at 30.

i' don't think any of the Cs are going to make it down to us, but that definitely is another deep position, just not quite down to us...

Thompson
Koufos
Hibbert
Ajinca
McGee
Jordan
Speights
R. Lopez

i think i was listening to the Ford-Thorpe Podcast or Andy Katz and one of them has a report of Thompson going pretty high....like in the teens...

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:15:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Most pronosticators have size going up and down this draft with SGs and SFs falling. If there is a run on centers and PFs the end of the draft might see some very interesting wings dropping into the Celtics lap. Brandon Rush, Nicolas Batum, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Bill Walker, or Courtney Lee could all fall if the bigs go where they aren't projected to go. it is amazing how many GMs still draft size over skill in the middle and late part of the first round.

The other thing that might occur is that someone may fall out of favor and land in their laps. One of Hibbert, Robin Lopez, DeAndre Jordan, or Joe Alexander could fall much further than expected and be there for the taking.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:18:25 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Most pronosticators have size going up and down this draft with SGs and SFs falling. If there is a run on centers and PFs the end of the draft might see some very interesting wings dropping into the Celtics lap. Brandon Rush, Nicolas Batum, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Bill Walker, or Courtney Lee could all fall if the bigs go where they aren't projected to go. it is amazing how many GMs still draft size over skill in the middle and late part of the first round.

The other thing that might occur is that someone may fall out of favor and land in their laps. One of Hibbert, Robin Lopez, DeAndre Jordan, or Joe Alexander could fall much further than expected and be there for the taking.

nick, did you see that report about Batum maybe having a heart condition and his father actually dropping dead playing basketball when Batum was a child.

i have liked him a lot too, and thought the recent hits on his game were excessive. i would love to see a talent like him available at #30.

but this recent report is scary. ill post it in another thread.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:24:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

nick, did you see that report about Batum maybe having a heart condition and his father actually dropping dead playing basketball when Batum was a child.

i have liked him a lot too, and thought the recent hits on his game were excessive. i would love to see a talent like him available at #30.

No, winsomme, I missed it. Would love to read it. The thing is though that if a team's doctors give him the okay and his condition isn't the same thing as what his dad died of, he might be worth it and it might be a reason he's still there.

Don't forget, Turiaf had open heart surgery and now he's LA's 7th man.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

yeah, i think any other year and i could have gotten really excited about landing a guy like White....great college career and i've seen him play a lot and agree that he is going to be a solid pro, but with needs at C and SF and an overload at PF, it's hard to get too excited about a guy like him.

plus, if we are going to get a big, i would much rather get a scrapper like Kaun in the second round.

i really don't know what Danny is going to do.
Dependant on what wings/centers are available I'd be happy to draft DJ White regardless of BBD/Powe. Neither guy really cemented their place in the playoffs and I'm pretty high on White. It's not an ideal situation.

I think Kaun will be there mid-to-late in the second round. Danny should be able to get him if he wants him.

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 10:31:54 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

No, winsomme, I missed it. Would love to read it. The thing is though that if a team's doctors give him the okay and his condition isn't the same thing as what his dad died of, he might be worth it and it might be a reason he's still there.

Don't forget, Turiaf had open heart surgery and now he's LA's 7th man.

i would definitely take him if he is there. i remember last year Mike Gorman was really high on him and thought if he was in the draft and we kept our pick that he would be a tremendous player.

sounds like scouts have been trying to tear apart his game over the past year, but i don't buy it. i think whoever gets him is getting a real player.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 10:52:37 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Chris Douglas Roberts is falling....

if he falls in the c's lap, that would be the cherry on top of this season....

I really am worried about Jawaii, I think he may be the product of a hype machine...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 11:00:43 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Main question is not PF but Center and SF. I say that because we may not be able to sign Posey and even if we do sign Posey, Scal is the only other backup at that position. This is why the C's were so enamored with Brandon Wallace.

Of the big men, I polled 4 mock drafts and came up with the following avg. projections from the 20th pick on:

Ajinca   23.5
Hibbert  24.5
Hickson  27.5
Jawali   28
Ibaka    29
Harding  30
Thompson 33 (he is said to be climbing fast)
Asik     33
Tomic    34
Kaun     35+

I say draft the best big man available at 30 and try to move up to get a SF in the middle of the second round.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
A PF 6'10 or bigger is fine.  He can play C.

But when I see some mocks having the Celtics pick another small PF, I just shake my head.  No way the Celtics add another unless one is moved. 

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 03:24:02 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
We will definitely not draft a PF, at least not an undersized one. We got a longjam at PF with Powe, Baby & Scal, and unless we move one of those three, we will not draft a PF, but a C-F. I think we can swing Powe and our #30 pick for a pick in the 10-15 range, which should get us some serious talent.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 03:29:46 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Yeah, I'm not a fan of drafting a 4, or a point guard for that matter. I say take the best available wing or center. If we go big, I don't want another Leon Powe or Glen Davis. I want some size, some length.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/