Author Topic: draft day trade possibilities  (Read 5963 times)

draft day trade possibilities
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
- Rose a certain lock right now to be drafted #1. With that hinrich is definitely gone for picks or others

- Miami from what i read doesn't like beasly but mayo.Plus beasly duplicates shawn marions position at sf. This is a chance for miami to get a pg and a nice pf/center for beasly

- Lakers want to draft but have no picks. maybe could get one of minnys second round picks or portlands

- I can totally picture danny without much cap space trying to get rid of his first round pick and instead trade it up for two second round picks from someone like portland. I think danny will pick a guy like devond hardin and george hill(i'am not too sure about pruitt as a pg nor if he ever gain more muscles. Even a skinny rondo is a alot stronger than pruitt)

Re: draft day trade possibilities
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:43:54 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
- Rose a certain lock right now to be drafted #1. With that hinrich is definitely gone for picks or others

- Miami from what i read doesn't like beasly but mayo.Plus beasly duplicates shawn marions position at sf. This is a chance for miami to get a pg and a nice pf/center for beasly

- Lakers want to draft but have no picks. maybe could get one of minnys second round picks or portlands

- I can totally picture danny without much cap space trying to get rid of his first round pick and instead trade it up for two second round picks from someone like portland. I think danny will pick a guy like devond hardin and george hill(i'am not too sure about pruitt as a pg nor if he ever gain more muscles. Even a skinny rondo is a alot stronger than pruitt)

- Paxson will probably pick Rose but that doesn't necessarily means that Hinrich has to leave. He can play SG. They can try to S&T Gordon or just let him leave.

- I don't believe Miami doesn't pick Beasley because they prefer Mayo. If they really don't like him, they'll trade down. And since when is Beasley a SF? Because of the size? He's big enough to play PF. Noah and Horford can play center and Beasley, with the same standing reach, is not big enough to play PF?

- Portland (or Minny or whoever else) won't do that trade. In abstract, early 2nd round picks are more valuable than late 1st round ones - no guaranteed money and the talent is only slightly worse. And it doesn't make sense to the Celtics, unless Ainge is looking for guys to draft&stash: we're already over the cap, so any second round pick would have to be signed with MLE money that will probably be needed to resign Posey, House or some other FA. And George Hill is not a pg.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
i'm sorry but your off base

1. If the bulls don't get beasly which is actually a better fit in terms of dire in of inside presence then it is not smart to keep hinrich with rose coming in to play majority of pg minutes. If they are going to pass up on a guy like beasly they should trade hinrich for some help up front. And hinrich is not a sg, he just doesn't have the overall scoring profile to be one

2. I don't disagree about your assesment that an early second round pick is more advantageous than the last 1st round pick. however you are not considering the fact teams like minny and portland just have way too many young players and need to not get any younger by making more picks. Plus if portland got the 30th pick that looks alot more attractive to package it with a player then 2 second round picks and packing a player

3. George hill is 6'2 , regardless if he is not truly a pg he will have to play it in the nba. He has decent passing skills from what i read, but who knows. So regardless if he is or truly not , at 6'2 it is higly unlikely he will be anything but a pg

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:28:26 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
1. I agree they should trade Hinrich if they're drafting Rose (and that they should draft Beasley). All I'm saying is that's not a sure thing. It's not like everybody is crazy for him and his expensive contract.

2. Even if Portland and Minny want to trade their 2nd round picks for a 1st (and I'm pretty sure they could find a way better deal than the 30th), why would we want to? The only reason I can see is to draft an international player and then bring him back without having to be limited by the rookie scale. But that's probably what they've in mind for one of their picks... For trade purposes, the 31th or the 33th are more attractive to package with a player than the 30th.

3. Hill is a 6'2.5'', so he'll be listed as a 6'3''. An undersized SG, but taller than guys like Gordon, House, etc.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 04:41:05 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Something that has to be taken into account is the fact that second round picks require dipping into the MLE to sign. This takes away from the amount that we can use for free agents. Also, if keeping Posey is a priority, It is probably going to take the entire MLE to do so.

Just some food for thought
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 05:22:39 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Something that has to be taken into account is the fact that second round picks require dipping into the MLE to sign. This takes away from the amount that we can use for free agents. Also, if keeping Posey is a priority, It is probably going to take the entire MLE to do so.

So Danny could very well trade this pick or sell it but by selling it does this mean we can use that money to help resign Posey? 

Posey has become what Mike Lowell was last year.  Older guy, great intangibles, played awesome in the playoffs. 

I say we do what the red sox did and sign this guy no matter if it takes away our draft pick and the MLE. 

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

You have to dip into the MLE to sign second rounders to three year contracts.  Any player, including second rounders, can be signed to a minimum salary deal for up to two years.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 05:41:27 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14

You have to dip into the MLE to sign second rounders to three year contracts.  Any player, including second rounders, can be signed to a minimum salary deal for up to two years.

Thanks for the clarification Roy
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 11:50:40 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
second rounders however have no guarantees. u can pay them a low rate of 400 k which will save us alot of cash.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:56:39 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I wish we had bought back that pick from Phoenix last year. Rudy Fernandez sure would be a sweet addition.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 01:20:25 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
i'd like to give brandon wallace another look

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 01:22:19 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

Not a bad idea at all. TP.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 01:25:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I would too.  This is why I am disapointed about them not having a summer league. 

As for trades, I expect Portland to be a big player on draft day.  They have been for the last few years, and they hold some great assets (Raef's contract, late lottery pick, lots of decent young guys that they don't need, but who have some value like Jack, Outlaw, Sergio).  I think they will make a trade for a PG on draft day.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 06:30:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I would too.  This is why I am disapointed about them not having a summer league. 
Don't worry about it. Toronto didn't have a summer league team last season and they came away with Jamario Moon.

Where do you learn more about a player? Summer League or Training Camp? Playing against kids or NBA vets? Answer is clearly training camp. You learn far more about the player's capabilities when he's with and playing against top players.

Danny can just invite the player he's interested in to camp and go from there. He did that last season with Manuel and Batista. See if anyone is good enough to hold on to a roster spot.