Author Topic: Lavar Ball guarantees Lebron will join the Lakers  (Read 4063 times)

Lavar Ball guarantees Lebron will join the Lakers
« on: June 13, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
But his son won't get traded  ;D . And that Lonzo will make Lebron better

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/06/lebron-james-lavar-lonzo-ball-lakers-free-agency-comments-nba-cavs

What is this guy seriously smokin??  For entertainment sake, would love to see Lebron join the Lakers..... but then Lonzo shipped out  (Lebron pulls another "trade Wiggins" request)

Re: Lavar Ball guarantees Lebron will join the Lakers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:02:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The funniest bit was when he was talking to Cowherd about it, and said something along the lines of "the only guy I know of who will be joining LeBron in LA is LiAngelo."

Man, the guy is hilarious. Absolutely out of touch with reality, but hilarious.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:04:24 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
It would be pure comedy if we heard a report that Lebron gave Magic Johnson an ultimatum: Ship Lonzo out of town and trade him for value (or another piece) OR I'm not coming, period

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(Cowherd actually alluded to this scenario yesterday)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
It would be pure comedy if we heard a report that Lebron gave Magic Johnson an ultimatum: Ship Lonzo out of town and trade him for value (or another piece) OR I'm not coming, period

Lebron will absolutely do this.  He does like Lonzo it looks (after games, long talks)....but I can't imagine he can stand the sight of his father.  His father already spoke badly about his kids, so his wife wouldn't be happy to be close to Lavar

I wonder how the BBB brand would do in Cleveland lol

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Can a cap expert chime in

could this trade work?

To Cavs: Lonzo, Ingram, Randle, cash consideration
To Lakers: Lebron and other minor pieces

* up to how much cash can the Lakers include?

OR it would have to be something more like

To Cavs:  Lonzo, Ingram,  Deng,  2018 25th pick

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 11:19:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The funniest bit was when he was talking to Cowherd about it, and said something along the lines of "the only guy I know of who will be joining LeBron in LA is LiAngelo."

Man, the guy is hilarious. Absolutely out of touch with reality, but hilarious.

;D

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 11:32:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

could this trade work?

Why?  The Lakers can sign LeBron and Paul George without making a trade.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 11:34:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

could this trade work?

That's not the question....could it work?

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

could this trade work?

Since you haven’t said how much Julius Randle is making, there’s no answer.  Accordingly, I’ll just not waste my time on a completely unnecessary trade.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Actually, I think it would be "Ship LaVar out of town or I'm not coming."

Mike

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 12:05:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

could this trade work?

Since you haven’t said how much Julius Randle is making, there’s no answer.  Accordingly, I’ll just not waste my time on a completely unnecessary trade.

then don't waste your time.  it doesn't matter

Lebron has a better chance to make max extension quicker via trade. As well he may not want Lonzo on the team as explained by some of the posts above

Will the Lakers also go above and beyond the cap to keep Randle?

Cavs can sign him for whatever or match

Could all this complication not happen with Lebron just signing as a FA?

sure but if he wants max quickly and does not want to be around Lavar, this trade scenerio is a possibility imo 

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 12:07:37 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I think he's trying to see if they can sign 2 FA and trade for LeBron, but that also doesn't make sense because other than LeBron and George, the FA class is pretty weak. Either way, Randle can't make enough money to accomplish this trade:

Base year compensation
Certain players in the first few months of a new contract are subject to base year compensation (BYC). The intent of BYC is to prevent teams from re-signing players to salaries specifically targeted to match other salaries in a trade (in other words, salary should be based on basketball value, not trade value). A BYC player's trade value as outgoing salary is 50% of his new salary, or his previous salary, whichever is greater. BYC applies only to players who re-sign with their previous team and receive a raise greater than 20%. It also applies only when (and as long as) the team is over the salary cap. Under the 2011 CBA, players subject to BYC cannot be traded before January 15 except in a sign-and-trade, and BYC is only applied to outgoing salary in sign-and-trade deals.[6]

So they'd either have to include Deng or sign Randle for $34 million, which is not possible given his years in the league (his max is $25,250,000).

To answer your general question, though, I think if the Lakers offered Deng, Ball, and Ingram for LeBron (he's already leaving), I think the Cavs for sure take that deal. So you don't even need to deal with Randle. The Cavs can flip Ball and Ingram for future picks if necessary while having a 5 year rebuild horizon.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 12:20:49 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I think he's trying to see if they can sign 2 FA and trade for LeBron, but that also doesn't make sense because other than LeBron and George, the FA class is pretty weak. Either way, Randle can't make enough money to accomplish this trade:

Base year compensation
Certain players in the first few months of a new contract are subject to base year compensation (BYC). The intent of BYC is to prevent teams from re-signing players to salaries specifically targeted to match other salaries in a trade (in other words, salary should be based on basketball value, not trade value). A BYC player's trade value as outgoing salary is 50% of his new salary, or his previous salary, whichever is greater. BYC applies only to players who re-sign with their previous team and receive a raise greater than 20%. It also applies only when (and as long as) the team is over the salary cap. Under the 2011 CBA, players subject to BYC cannot be traded before January 15 except in a sign-and-trade, and BYC is only applied to outgoing salary in sign-and-trade deals.[6]

So they'd either have to include Deng or sign Randle for $34 million, which is not possible given his years in the league (his max is $25,250,000).

To answer your general question, though, I think if the Lakers offered Deng, Ball, and Ingram for LeBron (he's already leaving), I think the Cavs for sure take that deal. So you don't even need to deal with Randle. The Cavs can flip Ball and Ingram for future picks if necessary while having a 5 year rebuild horizon.

Beyond not exactly seeing why the Lakers make this trade, I’m not sure why they’d be throwing in Ingram other than as a necessity for unloading Deng.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 12:22:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Base year compensation

Thanks. Good points

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Base year compensation

Beyond not exactly seeing why the Lakers make this trade, I’m not sure why they’d be throwing in Ingram other than as a necessity for unloading Deng.

Lakers would want to give up minimal but also need enough to give to the Cavs in wanting to participate and help out Lebron

End of the day Lebron could just sign as a FA. We will see what happens. What he wants and how much Lakers are willing to bend. Better Lebron and Lakers to not skeleton the team but if Lebron will take nothing less than max(quicker the better due to age) and his dislike for Lavar could be key obstacles to overcome in order to bring him in