Poll

Would you  trade Jaylen Brown with a first for jimmy Butler if it keeps Kyrie with the Celtics?

Yes
3 (4.5%)
No
57 (85.1%)
Only if Jimmy  and Kyrie  signed long term with thr Celtics
7 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: If it meant keeping Kyrie, would you trade Jaylen Brown for Jimmy Butler?  (Read 18460 times)

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Jaylen is already a more valuable player than Kyrie.

Having a point guard like Kyrie (or IT) is great to run an offense, but any player on the floor can be that guy. When we had Evan Turner on the floor, we ran the offense through him. A number of wings run their teams offense. Horford, as a PF or Center, does a significant amount of this for us already.

Other than Turner, we haven't had wings to run our offense since Pierce. Crowder wasn't that guy. Brown and Tatum were too inexperienced for much of last year.

That appears to be over for the foreseeable future. Tatum and Brown showed in the playoffs that they are now ready to carry the offense for long stretches. Hayward is a proven ball handler and facilitator.

Don't we want Tatum scoring 25 ppg in 2 years? Shouldn't Jaylen be scoring 20 ppg? Shouldn't Hayward be scoring 20 ppg? Don't we want to give Horford touches too? We don't need a classic, ball dominant point guard any more. A big athletic guard that can knock down 3's and closes all holes on defense is better long term.

For the past several years, all the things that Kyrie is so good at have been desperately needed by this team. By the end of next year, those same traits will just be in the way. We now have 4 other starters who are huge, athletic, can create offense for themselves and others, and can play lockdown defense. Those 4 guys need touches and need shots.

Last year's playoffs were a sneak preview of what can happen. I expect Ainge would move Kyrie before considering moving Jaylen.

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
No way. If he wants to play with Butler so badly, let him go the garbage Knicks..

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Jaylen is already a more valuable player than Kyrie.

Having a point guard like Kyrie (or IT) is great to run an offense, but any player on the floor can be that guy. When we had Evan Turner on the floor, we ran the offense through him. A number of wings run their teams offense. Horford, as a PF or Center, does a significant amount of this for us already.

Other than Turner, we haven't had wings to run our offense since Pierce. Crowder wasn't that guy. Brown and Tatum were too inexperienced for much of last year.

That appears to be over for the foreseeable future. Tatum and Brown showed in the playoffs that they are now ready to carry the offense for long stretches. Hayward is a proven ball handler and facilitator.

Don't we want Tatum scoring 25 ppg in 2 years? Shouldn't Jaylen be scoring 20 ppg? Shouldn't Hayward be scoring 20 ppg? Don't we want to give Horford touches too? We don't need a classic, ball dominant point guard any more. A big athletic guard that can knock down 3's and closes all holes on defense is better long term.

For the past several years, all the things that Kyrie is so good at have been desperately needed by this team. By the end of next year, those same traits will just be in the way. We now have 4 other starters who are huge, athletic, can create offense for themselves and others, and can play lockdown defense. Those 4 guys need touches and need shots.

Last year's playoffs were a sneak preview of what can happen. I expect Ainge will move Kyrie.

Wow this post sums up my thinking quite well. Rozier can easily fill the PG role in the future.

Jimmy Butler
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2018, 01:05:07 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Maybe this is the way to insure Kyrie  stays in green. Is it worth it?

Jaylen would have to be resigned and maybe we include Morris and Yausele to shed salary.

Just might work.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Re: Jimmy Butler
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'm, no.

Not only because I'm as high on Brown as I could ever be on Butler, but because I wouldn't put up with trying to build an championship roster while satisfying the whims of a player. Yes he's a star, but I don't want to deal with a player that won't let the GM bE the best GM they can.

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2018, 01:30:48 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
No. Right now Jaylen is cheap and honestly not too far behind Butler in terms of talent. Also, Jimmy Butler has a bad reputation when it comes to getting along with younger players. Jaylen, on the other hand, is beloved by his team mates and coaching staff.

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If Kyrie is healthy and dumb enough to leave the Celtics at this point...let him go.

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2018, 02:22:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Must've missed the memo where the only Kyrie agrees to re-sign is if the Celts acquire Butler.

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2018, 02:22:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Must've missed the memo where the only way Kyrie agrees to re-sign is if the Celts acquire Butler.

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I love Kyrie.  I think he’s the difference between coming close and winning a title.  But he’s also the easiest one on the team to replace with a competent player.  I think no matter what happens, I play the season out and let the chips fall where they may.

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2018, 02:50:29 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
If the Cs are trading Brown, WE should be the team getting a first in return. And I think Brown will soon be better than Butler anyway.

But yeah, if Kyrie will stay ONLY if the Cs get Butler, I'd probably say goodbye to Kyrie.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wasn't this a poll like a month ago? It's not going to happen

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2018, 03:01:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think people are reading way, way, way, way too much into Kyrie's not going public with his desire to resign next year and putting way, way, way, way too much emphasis into a quick article or two about Butler and Kyrie being friends.

If the front office wasn't confident of Kyrie's return after next season, my guess is he would already be gone.

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Trading Jaylen to appease KyKnee would be utterly insane. Remember Butler is a FA next summer as well.

As far as I'm concerned KyKnee has just as much to prove to us as we do to him. Play at least 60 games this year and all the playoff games and help us come close to or beating GSW then we talk..

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2018, 06:37:56 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm, no.

Not only because I'm as high on Brown as I could ever be on Butler, but because I wouldn't put up with trying to build an championship roster while satisfying the whims of a player. Yes he's a star, but I don't want to deal with a player that won't let the GM bE the best GM they can.

This. Brown is probably a better fit for this roster right now than Butler and he's I expect he'll be almost as good this season anyway.

But your other point is the big one. There is a long history of teams making moves just to appease their star players and it usually doesn't work out. An organization needs a stronger team building philosophy than "whatever our all star wants" to win.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008