Author Topic: Playoff Dates 1st round for Celtics home games  (Read 34550 times)

Re: Playoff Dates 1st round for Celtics home games
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
The first Celtics play-off game will be next Sunday night on ESPN.

AWESOME!!  (if it's true)  I have tickets to the Sox on Saturday and tickets for game 1....was very worried I was going to have to give up the Sox tickets!
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would actually be surprised if the C's get a prime-time spot opening weekend, simply because every series out West could be considered a marquee matchup.  While the Celtics would bring in the ratings, a matchup with the Hawks (who have a losing record) isn't exactly must-see TV for the national audience.

Factor in the time zone issues and I would expect the Western games to get the prime time (and late-night spots) and see the weaker Eastern games get the afternoon TV spots.

Just my opinion, but you would think the networks would want to air the better games.  I don't want to jinx anything, but I really don't expect much drama in the first round in Boston.

We should get the prime-time spot - they'll probably do 1 West and 1 East series, because I'm sure the league dictates they balance coverage between conferences as much as possible.  Our series and CLE-WAS are probably seen as the "sexiest" matchups in the East.  TOR-ORL could be a good series but both teams are seen as "regional" teams without a lot of national interest.  DET-PHI will probably be the NBATV series for most of their games.  I think they'll alternate us and CLE-WAS, with each of us getting a prime spot on alternating nights.  After the first 2 games when we're up 2-0 (knock on wood) they might switch us with a better series.

The Celtics series is the worst series nationally.  It is just to one sided.

Not when there is Lebron vs. Arenas for the third straight year in the East. 

And for get the West.  Possible Spurs/Suns rematch.  Hornets/Mavs.  Jazz/Rockets.

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 02:46:51 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
This seems particularly odd to me as I believe that the Sunday night time slots for opening weekend belong to TNT.
-sw

ESPN is scheduled to broadcast games on Saturday at 5:30, 8:00, and 10:30 ET.
TNT is scheduled to broadcast games on Sunday at 5:30, 8:00, and 10:30 ET.

So, a Sunday night game on ESPN would seem unlikely.

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 03:01:03 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
This seems particularly odd to me as I believe that the Sunday night time slots for opening weekend belong to TNT.
-sw

I don't know why anyone is even bothering to listen to CT. That guy has never been right about anything ever. How are those "Alex Rodriguez Will Be a Red Sox" headline, or "Kevin Garnett Will Be A Warrior" guarantees looking now?

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 03:46:48 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
-sw

Based on this schedule, 2 games (4 teams) will have to wait until Monday to get things going. I hope the C's aren't one of those teams!!!  :o

My guess is that those 2 games will be something like: ORL v TOR & NO v DAL

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is ABC carrying anything on Sunday day?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 04:03:59 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
good point. Hopefully all the teams will get some run on Sat or Sun.

side note: I really hate the first round format, where it takes 2 weeks to get through the scheduling of these 7 game series (2 days off between each game).  >:(

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 04:06:07 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
All eight games will be played on Saturday and Sunday. ABC has a 3pm game on both Saturday and Sunday

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 04:10:22 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Let's take a look at the home teams for the upcoming weekend.

East

Boston, Detroit, Orlando, Cleveland

West

Los Angeles, New Orleans, San Antonio, Utah (Guessing on these)

Now with the potential for a home Bruins game on Saturday and the whole east coast time thing.  I'm thinking that the Celtics might end up with that Sunday 3pm slot on ABC.

Just trying to use some thought process here. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
We also know that ABC is not so inventive when choosing their broadcasts. In the West it'll be Lakers every weekend. No doubt.

In the East it would normally be the Cavs every weekend. But the Celtics rise in ratings might tip the scales. I think ABC will open with the Cavs-Wiz, but then ride the Celtics the rest of the way.

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2008, 10:53:03 AM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
New Orleans, Detroit, and Orlando all have rock concerts scheduled for Saturday night, so no day or night game on Saturday in those arenas. Los Angeles has an arena football game on Saturday evening, and Boston has a possible day or night hockey game, so there is a possibility of a basketball game in the afternoon at the Staples Center, or a day or night game at the Garden. It's possible to have two sports events on the same day, but a rock concert needs the arena for the whole day and evening.

Utah, Cleveland, and San Antonio do not have events scheduled for Saturday, and none of the eight arenas has anything booked for Sunday.

More information, but it still doesn't tell us for sure when the Celtics will play! We'll know by tomorrow morning.

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2008, 11:08:11 AM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
the wait for this is killing me!!

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
New Orleans, Detroit, and Orlando all have rock concerts scheduled for Saturday night, so no day or night game on Saturday in those arenas. Los Angeles has an arena football game on Saturday evening, and Boston has a possible day or night hockey game, so there is a possibility of a basketball game in the afternoon at the Staples Center, or a day or night game at the Garden. It's possible to have two sports events on the same day, but a rock concert needs the arena for the whole day and evening.

Utah, Cleveland, and San Antonio do not have events scheduled for Saturday, and none of the eight arenas has anything booked for Sunday.

More information, but it still doesn't tell us for sure when the Celtics will play! We'll know by tomorrow morning.

If you researched this - I am totally impressed.

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2008, 11:33:45 AM »

Offline maxw318

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7

If you researched this - I am totally impressed.

nice work, the whole time i was always thinking the the garden was booked for saturday so the first game would be sunday, but i never put into account if other arenas were already booked too

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2008, 12:07:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Join me in doing a double-dog wish for the C's game being on Sunday, not Saturday.  I have tix for Game 1, but can't go if it's on Saturday.
Yup