Author Topic: Anonymous NBA coach jealous of the way the media treats Brad  (Read 6198 times)

Anonymous NBA coach jealous of the way the media treats Brad
« on: April 18, 2018, 12:45:14 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Here’s some of what the anonymous coach said, via Arnovitz’s paraphrasing: “There are a lot of guys in our league doing a lot with limitations. How did Brad end up on the Mt. Rushmore of NBA coaches?” the coach asked. “I mean look, he’s done nicely, but last year you could argue he got outcoached by (Chicago Bulls head coach) Fred Hoiberg, coached by (Washington Wizards head coach) Scott Brooks to a draw, and then the (LeBron James) freight train or whatever. Yes, he started, they had to rebuild that process and he built a culture, and yes, it’s been nice. “But OK, each year they add — Oh, hey, here’s the best playmaking two-way big man in the league in Al Horford. Oh, here’s a steady stream of top-three picks. Guess what we have for you this year? (Gordon Hayward) went down? It’s OK, because you have the best shot-making point guard in the league (Kyrie Irving).”

But wait, there’s more. “The hagiography, deification of the holy Brad Stevens, can we just wait for a second?” Arnovitz said, paraphrasing the anonymous coach. “‘Can he just win more than one conference finals game? He’s got a lot of talent. He’s done well. We all respect him. We all steal from him, and everybody steals from everybody. Can you guys (the media) just cool it?”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/04/anonymous-nba-is-coach-sick-of-all-the-hype-for-celtics-brad-stevens/

Thoughts? I think I'm calling BS as I can't see another NBA coach doing this they seem like a brotherhood. However if this is a true conversation he has with an NBA coach who's your guess?

Sounds like a Doc thing to say to me. He loves throwing people under the bus  ;D
ok fine

Re: Anonymous NBA coach jealous of the way the media treats Brad
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:48:17 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Talk about whiny & petty.  This "anonymous" coach sounds like a real dud.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 12:50:46 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
This is unreal if true.  Sounds petty and jealous. 

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Talk about whiny & petty.  This "anonymous" coach sounds like a real dud.
Whole lot of ego and pride in the NBA. No surprise their is push back to St. Brad  8)

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I am sure it happened, and I'm sure it's not just this guy (the anon) feeling this way, and it is petty and whiny.

The Whiny Coach kind of has his cake and eats it too. The Celtics Org does provide Brad Stevens with some good top tier talent by way of top 5 picks, trades, and free agents.

But Brad Stevens because of injuries etc is also forced to start Rozier, to give Ojeleye serious minutes, to play Shane Larkin, Nader, Kadeem Allen. None of those guys were supposed to be above replacement level players. Jaylen Brown was supposed to be a year or two away. Jayson Tatum is a rookie, has no business playing like he is.

Now I'm sure some of that is due to Danny finding the right guys. But a large part of it is Brad Stevens getting his guys to give more than anyone expected them to.

Also, I bet the whiny coach was Jason Kidd. Arnovitz did say that this was said to him before Irving went down. Jason Kidd seems like a whiny little man child.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Obviously whiny and petty, but I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of coaches actually felt that way.  Brad definitely has risen the respect ranks very quickly and without much real playoff success (even with the 2 wins this year, he is just 13-17 in the playoffs and has never finished a playoff run above .500). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 12:58:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah Kidd/Rivers were the first names that jumped to my mind.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 01:00:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Doc for sure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Y'all are forgetting how Brad has coached some journeymen to huge deals...

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 01:04:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mean, show me the coach on "Mt. Rushmore" who got there without good players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 01:10:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I mean, show me the coach on "Mt. Rushmore" who got there without good players.
Lenny Wilkens?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I will kind of agree with the idea that the media heaps a little too much love on Stevens.

I think Stevens has been a miracle. The team has overachieved every season he's been here. He's my coach of the year. I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the league right now. I hope he's here for a long time and I feel really good about him winning multiple championships in the NBA.

But the media does not typically heap the kind of praise on a coach (or anyone) that Stevens has enjoyed unless they've won multiple rings. It's at a point where I wonder when are the players going to start getting their due?

I'm splitting hair here because I do think Stevens deserves the praise but I think it's also true that there are coaches like Spoelstra or Carlisle who have won rings and still don't get the kind of credit Brad is given. So I get where this guy is coming from, even if it is pretty.

Also, this is almost definitely an assistant coach, right?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 01:11:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Obviously whiny and petty, but I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of coaches actually felt that way.  Brad definitely has risen the respect ranks very quickly and without much real playoff success (even with the 2 wins this year, he is just 13-17 in the playoffs and has never finished a playoff run above .500).
By and large, this take is not as hot as people may think it is. To me, the "Brad is the second greatest coach in the NBA" is similar to the "Doc is a great coach to play for" sentiment.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Is it a current coach? Because it sounds like Mark Jackson.

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 01:33:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Brad would be the first person to admit that he gets too much praise.