Poll

Brown for Bamba straight up. Who says no?

Boston
34 (60.7%)
Orlando
4 (7.1%)
both teams say no
11 (19.6%)
seems like a fair trade
7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Trade idea: Brown for Bamba  (Read 11100 times)

Re: Bamba?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2019, 11:00:54 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=98558.0

(it's exactly the same idea)

Sorry, I was trying to look for similar threads but there is no search function anymore, right? (Or am I to blind to find it?)
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2019, 11:03:29 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
2 years ago the Magic were trying to trade Vucevic at the trade deadline because they thought Bamba was their Center of the future.

The Magic then realized that in today's NBA, a big man who can shoot outside is way better than a traditional big man like Bamba.

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
2 years ago the Magic were trying to trade Vucevic at the trade deadline because they thought Bamba was their Center of the future.

The Magic then realized that in today's NBA, a big man who can shoot outside is way better than a traditional big man like Bamba.

This is objectively false, as Bamba was a rookie last year.  No way were they trading Vucevic two years ago because of Bamba.

Also, as a rookie last year, Bamba shot 30% from 3.  That’s not great, but as he was a rookie big it’s highly plausible he could improve on that as he continues to gain experience.

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2019, 11:07:37 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Trade a future star in brown for An actual bust of bamba lol

Re: Trade idea: Brown for Bamba
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2019, 11:24:41 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Why are people high on Mo Bamba? Honest question
- LilRip

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2019, 11:28:43 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I'm all for trade ideas just for discussion sake.

But when trading for a center it would be nice if people would compose a trade that relieves us of one of our current centers, so we don't have like 12 centers on the roster.

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2019, 11:44:06 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

He has Gobert's frame, is a bit quicker, and has flashed a jumper.

In short, he is potential personified. He hasn't shown anything yet, but will cost Brown to get him apparently. Also he already has a song about him. That counts for something.
#JKJB

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2019, 11:45:35 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71

I can only speak for myself but I think he is an intelligent, hard working physical specimen with skills that are made for the modern nba (shooting, defense and being a lob threat).

Edit: But I know he's far from reaching that potential.
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2019, 11:55:02 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I can only speak for myself but I think he is an intelligent, hard working physical specimen with skills that are made for the modern nba (shooting, defense and being a lob threat).

Edit: But I know he's far from reaching that potential.

Not commenting on the validity of those attributes towards Bamba, but those are the exact strengths I would use to describe Brown (although he is the wing version of a lob threat.)
#JKJB

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2019, 12:01:40 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Closer comparison would be time lord, not brown.  Brown should bring you a starting PF, not a developmental big.  KP or sabonis for brown straight up...now lets talk.  Siakam...and a few others would be in the discussion.  Brown's ceiling is butler or leonard.  His floor is a 15 ppg 2/3 with elite D.  Not many of those.

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2019, 12:05:06 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

This is objectively false, as Bamba was a rookie last year.  No way were they trading Vucevic two years ago because of Bamba.

Also, as a rookie last year, Bamba shot 30% from 3.  That’s not great, but as he was a rookie big it’s highly plausible he could improve on that as he continues to gain experience.

Here's the article.

https://fadeawayworld.net/2018/12/11/nba-trade-rumors-celtics-could-be-after-nikola-vucevic/

Zach Buckley of Bleacher Report recently suggested that the Celtics could target Nikola Vucevic of the Orlando Magic.

So, why would Orlando let him go? Because he’s headed for unrestricted free agency next summer and isn’t a likely keeper given the frontcourt minutes needed to develop recent top-10 selections Mohamed Bamba and Jonathan Isaac. Not to mention, if Vucevic could fetch fellow free-agent-to-be Terry Rozier, the Magic might finally have their floor general of the future.

Vooch has been a Boston target before. Back in January 2017, NBC Sports Boston‘s A. Sherrod Blakely reported the Celtics had discussed the 7-footer with the Magic in hopes of strengthening their scoring and rebounding.

Fast-forward nearly two years, and Boston still needs help on offense (18th in efficiency) and the glass (17th in rebounding percentage). Vucevic has never been better equipped to provide it.

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Closer comparison would be time lord, not brown.  Brown should bring you a starting PF, not a developmental big.  KP or sabonis for brown straight up...now lets talk.  Siakam...and a few others would be in the discussion.  Brown's ceiling is butler or leonard.  His floor is a 15 ppg 2/3 with elite D.  Not many of those.

The free throw shooting alone will tell you Brown is not similar to Kawhi or Jimmy Butler.

Both Kawhi and Butler shoot FTs at more than 80% for their careers.

Jaylen is only a career 65.8% FT shooter.

Both Kawhi and Butler go to the FT line on a regular basis.

Jaylen Brown has yet to prove that he can draw fouls on a regular basis and make FTs on a regular basis.

Buddy Hield was behind Jaylen Brown in terms of development during their sophomore year, but right now Hield is now way better than Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=98558.0

(it's exactly the same idea)

Sorry, I was trying to look for similar threads but there is no search function anymore, right? (Or am I to blind to find it?)
No worries. Yeah, I don't think there is a way to search for old threads.

Back in January, I was a proponent of the idea. Don't think I'd do it today though.

- Bamba hasn't lived up to the hype during his rookie season.
- We would be left with an unbalanced roster.

Assuming we trade Brown, we 'd have 2 players at the SG position: Smart (not a SG, needs the ball in his hands in order to maximize his effectiveness on offense) and Langford (a rookie). At the same time, we already have Kanter, Poirier, R. Williams and Theis who can all provide cover at the 5.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:27:47 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2019, 12:19:04 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
IMHO, Boston says, "No", because Brown is a much more valuable player right now and arguably still has just as much if not more "potential".   Boston wants to make the playoffs this year and they are going to get much more towards that out of Brown than they are likely to get out of a guy who, while he has upside, is in many ways more raw than The TimeLord.

And, imho, Orlando says, "No", because from what I can tell even though they have bought-in on Vucevic, they still think very highly of Bamba's potential and the fact is he still has three years on his rookie deal left (as opposed to Jaylen, who will need to get paid next year).    Also don't overlook the fact that the Magic have paid the max on one of their players before only to end up trading him later that same year (Harris) so they may or may not be going long on Vucevic.

A more logical trade might actually be Langford for Bamba, as that exchanges two more similar contract horizons while still addressing the positional wants of each roster, albeit pretty much entirely via "potential".   Both are early in their deals.  Both were drafted well below where originally thought to be.  Both have minor injury questions and high potential.  Neither is likely to be a significant contributor to a contending rotation for at least a year or two.

Any trade for a 5 has to also probably send out one of our current 5s, though.   
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2019, 12:22:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The free throw shooting alone will tell you Brown is not similar to Kawhi or Jimmy Butler.

Both Kawhi and Butler shoot FTs at more than 80% for their careers.

Jaylen is only a career 65.8% FT shooter.

Both Kawhi and Butler go to the FT line on a regular basis.

Jaylen Brown has yet to prove that he can draw fouls on a regular basis and make FTs on a regular basis.

Buddy Hield was behind Jaylen Brown in terms of development during their sophomore year, but right now Hield is now way better than Jaylen Brown.

We can reassess in 4 years when Jaylen will be the same age Buddy is now. It doesn't make much sense to compare a 22 y/o and a 26 y/o - especially with the Cs being such a mess last year. Even with that, Brown put up a stellar 2019; it's just that his start totally dragged him down. And there's also this thing called defense.