Author Topic: Langford Out for Remainder of Season  (Read 4977 times)

Re: Langford Out for Remainder of Season
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 10:39:12 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think Langford may be a better long term prospect than Herro.  Sure, Herro is a nice offensive player, but being short-armed may limit his ability on defense.  Langford’s defensive potential is promising. If he can get his shooting stroke corrected, then he will be the better player.

Let's hope so because Herro is screaming " solid 10-15 year veteran NBA rotation guy" to me.
He's screaming multi year allstar and eventual 20-25ppg scorer to me.  I think offensively he has the tools to do it all.  His off the dribble game including his passing have come a long way very quickly.  Offensively he looks like he will be able to do everything Hayward can do but in a more cocky and aggressive manner.

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 10:40:17 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Felt Langford was a good insurance policy if we didn't keep Brown. Too bad the guy can't be healthy. I would have still went for Clarke at 14 though. Seeing how GW mostly plays Pf and Small ball 5 we could have used Clarke. At least GW is having an impact, so it's not a complete waste of a draft.

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 11:52:40 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think Langford may be a better long term prospect than Herro.  Sure, Herro is a nice offensive player, but being short-armed may limit his ability on defense.  Langford’s defensive potential is promising. If he can get his shooting stroke corrected, then he will be the better player.
Dude,
You should be banned 🤦🏻‍♂️

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 12:11:05 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
So this means that Langford won't play Friday?

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 12:19:50 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Romeo Langford’s wrist surgery expected to keep him out for start of next season

Celtics rookie Romeo Langford’s wrist surgery on Tuesday will likely keep him out through the start of next season, coach Brad Stevens said.

Langford tore ligaments in the wrist in Boston’s Aug. 15 win over the Wizards. It was determined that he would be able to play through the injury but would eventually need to undergo a procedure when the season ended.

Then Langford suffered an adductor strain during Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Heat last Thursday. Stevens said that injury would have sidelined him for about 4-6 weeks, which would make him unavailable for the rest of this season, so the team decided that he should have the wrist surgery now to accelerate his eventual return.

“It’s going to be a long recovery from the wrist surgery,” Stevens said. “There was quite a bit of talk when it happened, like, do we just do it now? With Gordon [Hayward] out, the doctors felt like he was good to play, couldn’t make it any worse. We also knew if something like the other day happened where he pulled the adductor, he’s out 4-6 weeks anyway, makes no sense to stick around. He needed to get that done ASAP. It will probably bleed into next season, whenever that starts, his availability, just because of the length of time it takes for that particular operation.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/23/sports/romeo-langfords-wrist-surgery-expected-keep-him-out-start-next-season/

Rotten luck for the young dude  :-[
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 08:33:06 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Definitely bad news, and what an awful rookie year in terms of injuries, but I'm glad we aren't closing the book on this kid. Someone mentioned Avery Bradley... had an awful rookie year, looked completely out of place, and could barely hit the backboard shooting. Langford at least proved that he can play NBA-quality defense this year.

The draft is largely about luck, even when it comes to a coin flip to determine the 13th vs the 14th pick. The good thing about the Celtics is that they've got a lot of rolls of the dice, with three more coming up in the first round. But really, you'll need some of these to "hit" in the coming years if you want to keep competing at a championship level, whether it be Grant, Romeo, or someone we're about to pick. What Herro is doing to us in this series is evidence of that.

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 09:11:37 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Definitely bad news, and what an awful rookie year in terms of injuries, but I'm glad we aren't closing the book on this kid. Someone mentioned Avery Bradley... had an awful rookie year, looked completely out of place, and could barely hit the backboard shooting. Langford at least proved that he can play NBA-quality defense this year.

The draft is largely about luck, even when it comes to a coin flip to determine the 13th vs the 14th pick. The good thing about the Celtics is that they've got a lot of rolls of the dice, with three more coming up in the first round. But really, you'll need some of these to "hit" in the coming years if you want to keep competing at a championship level, whether it be Grant, Romeo, or someone we're about to pick. What Herro is doing to us in this series is evidence of that.
Langford has been injured for the most part of the last 30 months.. it’s a bad sign for his durability.
Also I went on Indycornrows.com to see what Indy locals thought of him and no one seemed to be saying he is good.

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2020, 10:21:55 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
This guy is well on his way to bust status and with Herro apparently on his way to becoming a superstar, Langford has the potential to be remembered for a long time by Celtics fans. If he's not feeling any pressure, he should be.

Even if he were healthy, fact is that right now he can't shoot at even an average NBA level from mid range or the 3 pt stripe - not even close. For a guy in his position, he needs to have that skill.

This is not a developmental roster.  They need help in their rotation and while he can defend at an NBA level - you can't play him offensively.  So you can't play him for any meaningful minutes.  Herro meanwhile is playing at an all star level these days....

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2020, 10:30:45 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
This guy is well on his way to bust status and with Herro apparently on his way to becoming a superstar, Langford has the potential to be remembered for a long time by Celtics fans. If he's not feeling any pressure, he should be.

Even if he were healthy, fact is that right now he can't shoot at even an average NBA level from mid range or the 3 pt stripe - not even close. For a guy in his position, he needs to have that skill.

This is not a developmental roster.  They need help in their rotation and while he can defend at an NBA level - you can't play him offensively.  So you can't play him for any meaningful minutes.  Herro meanwhile is playing at an all star level these days....

It's not like Herro was on the board when the Celtics picked.  That would sting much more.

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2020, 10:53:33 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Langford has been injured for the most part of the last 30 months.. it’s a bad sign for his durability.
Also I went on Indycornrows.com to see what Indy locals thought of him and no one seemed to be saying he is good.

Because he isn't. He is going to be a glorified role player at best for the duration of his career IF HE EVER figures it out.
the fact that Herro is already  fast approaching top three of his class in a redraft is just a testament of how bad is our luck of the draft coin toss.  Herro is going to even have a career as good as GH was when he was at Utah. and Langford will be lucky if he even reach Marvin Williams status.

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2020, 10:57:01 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Dude,

HAHAHA.... this made my day.

Langford >Herro is just laughable indeed.

Its like saying Rozier is going to be a better ball player than Dangelo Russell...that didn't age well as well.

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2020, 11:15:25 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Imagine giving up on a player after their rookie season. By this logic the Raptors would have give up on Siakam and the Bulls would have given up on Butler. Patience is a lost virtue in this day and age.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2020, 11:48:29 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Dude,

HAHAHA.... this made my day.

Langford >Herro is just laughable indeed.

Its like saying Rozier is going to be a better ball player than Dangelo Russell...that didn't age well as well.

If somebody said Steve Nash would be better than Stephon Marbury after their rookie years (or even 3-4 years later), they'd probably be laughed out of the building.

And it was probably very clear after their rookie years that Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings were clearly better than James Harden.  And don't even try to be ridiculous and bring somebody like Jrue Holiday into that discussion, every GM would take Evans or Jennings 100 times out of 100, and anyone who wouldn't should immediately be fired.

So yes, it's still way too early to judge,  I still think Kelly Olynk has the potential to turn out to be the better pick than Giannis in the long run. Wait what were we talking about  ;D

Seriously though, too early to judge, but Herro does have a sizeable lead at this point, and Langford has yet to really show me he belongs on the court.  Early returns do not look good, but I'll continue to drink this green kool-aid for at least another year or so.  Romeo (like Yabu, Young, Banks, Gerald Green, Kedrick Brown, Forte, Moiso, Earl, etc.) just needs some time to develop.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2020, 07:52:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Let's hope so because Herro is screaming " solid 10-15 year veteran NBA rotation guy" to me.
He's screaming multi year allstar and eventual 20-25ppg scorer to me.  I think offensively he has the tools to do it all.  His off the dribble game including his passing have come a long way very quickly.  Offensively he looks like he will be able to do everything Hayward can do but in a more cocky and aggressive manner.

Herro looks a lot like Buddy Hield to me -- with a bit more passing ability. Exciting player. I'm a big fan of Buddy (borderline top 5 shooting guard in the league today). I hope he escapes Luke Walton's dungeon someday soon. Hield would be fantastic here in Boston if there was a way to get him. A shooter of his ability would do wonders for this offense.

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2020, 08:46:30 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
What a terrible pick in hindsight.  We missed out on Tyler Herro by 1 spot and he absolutely killed us last night.  Instead we drafted the dud.