Author Topic: 14 for 40  (Read 3214 times)

Re: 14 for 40
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 09:23:43 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Eh I think our shot selection was fine, for the most part. The only person who was taking putrid 3 pointers was Smart, but that's nothing new. I'm more concerned with Tatum, Brown, and Smart combining for a whopping 14 turnovers. Completely unacceptable, and it was the difference.

Add Gordon's 4 and that's 18 turnovers from 4 players.
I'm looking at the box score, and it says Gordon only has 1. Tbf that one turnover was really bad, but I'll be slightly more lenient with Gordo after missing so many games.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 09:37:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Eh I think our shot selection was fine, for the most part. The only person who was taking putrid 3 pointers was Smart, but that's nothing new. I'm more concerned with Tatum, Brown, and Smart combining for a whopping 14 turnovers. Completely unacceptable, and it was the difference.

I'm looking at the box score, and it says Gordon only has 1. Tbf that one turnover was really bad, but I'll be slightly more lenient with Gordo after missing so many games.

Oh I was looking at his fouls...my bad. I do remember that turnover and yes it was pretty bad  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 09:47:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Hayward only had 1 turnover not 4.

Edit: sorry I see this was already pointed out.

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 11:03:49 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
14 for 40 isn't that bad.  35%, which is the same as shooting 52.5% from 2PT.

I can live with the shots.  It's just the way the NBA has gone.  The Celts aren't great at it, but they're also not shooting 3PTAs at the rate of some teams.  We ranked 12th in makes, 13th in attempts, and 13th in 3PT%.  So, slightly above average.

The much larger issue in the series has been turnovers.  It was a strength of ours in the regular season -- 8th fewest in the NBA -- but we've struggled against the Heat.

Not only is it not bad, but it's also not much different from an average game for us.  We averaged 12.6 makes for 34.5 attempts during the regular season.  12.3 makes for 35.7 attempts during playoffs.  14 for 40 isn't that much different.  This was more or less a fairly typical 3 point shooting game for us in terms of volume and makes. 

I agree with Roy, turnovers definitely the key last night.  Not 3 point attempts.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 07:40:45 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Yeah drive it right at bam....works so well

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 12:05:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The problem isn't the three pointers, it's who is taking them and when.

Smart is taking 7.3 3PTA per game in this series and hitting them at a miserable 31%.

He, Brown and Walker are all guilty of taking three pointers very early in the clock, though Smart's seem more egregious as he seems okay with taking them from 27-30 feet out.

In no world should Smart be taking as many threes as Walker, Tatum and Brown. And the team needs to explore their offense better than just jacking up threes in the first 8 seconds of the shot clock.

Heck, I would be okay with Wanamaker taking more threes, so long as Smart is taking 3-4 less a game.

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 06:31:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The problem isn't the three pointers, it's who is taking them and when.

Smart is taking 7.3 3PTA per game in this series and hitting them at a miserable 31%.

He, Brown and Walker are all guilty of taking three pointers very early in the clock, though Smart's seem more egregious as he seems okay with taking them from 27-30 feet out.

In no world should Smart be taking as many threes as Walker, Tatum and Brown. And the team needs to explore their offense better than just jacking up threes in the first 8 seconds of the shot clock.

Heck, I would be okay with Wanamaker taking more threes, so long as Smart is taking 3-4 less a game.
Nailed it. He's completely lost the plot this series with his shooting. Throughout the year I was uncomfortable with his 6.6 3PA per game, but at least he was hitting 35% of them. Nobody will ever reign him in though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)