Author Topic: Hayward good with coming off bench  (Read 2247 times)

Hayward good with coming off bench
« on: November 14, 2018, 01:41:25 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I read that he's ok with coming off bench. There you go...one guy who has bought in. Now it's time for Brown to step up. If he doesn't, he's the next to go to the bench.

Re: Hayward good with coming off bench
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 01:56:59 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I wonder if he said knowing something we don't...

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 02:00:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Was there really any reason to think he wouldn't be good with coming off the bench?  Plenty of posters said oh the Celtics will never pay him $30M to come off the bench but there was never anything from any player or coach to make you think this would be an issue.

But if Hayward becomes the 6th man, why would Brown have to come off the bench too?  I think it is one or the other.  No need for both.  Unless Brown is hurt, I am fine with him starting.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 02:22:39 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I have calling for this for a long time. Hayward is just not very good right now.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 02:38:28 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

That’s what I was thinking, too. It might be that it’s something that has already been decided.

It’s also easier for Hayward knowing that it’s likely a temporary thing.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 02:57:36 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

That’s what I was thinking, too. It might be that it’s something that has already been decided.

It’s also easier for Hayward knowing that it’s likely a temporary thing.
I guess not

@ChrisForsberg_

Brad Stevens said he doesn’t anticipate any starting lineup changes vs. Bulls.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 03:12:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
If Hayward were to come off the bench, does Baynes get the promotion to starting lineup?

Morris is better with the green light off the bench. Maybe starting Rozier at SG would help him be more effective?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 05:38:02 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I read that he's ok with coming off bench. There you go...one guy who has bought in. Now it's time for Brown to step up. If he doesn't, he's the next to go to the bench.

I'm fine with him going to the bench until he shows he's 100%. But in my book Jaylen Brown needs to show more too, it's his 3rd year now, I need to see that he has some sort of a plan on the offensive end to create reliable scoring. 

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Well that's good, because Hayward isn't playing well right now.

I would also have Brown come off the bench until he improves as well.

Right now, I wouldn't mind seeing Brad go with a Kyrie/Rozier/Tatum/Horford/Baynes starting lineup.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 07:26:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't care ,  long as who ever plays can make winning plays and show energy and confidence.

Not too much to ask for guys making millions

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 12:24:49 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
It's never made sense to me that he's been starting at all.  He was obviously not ready to be a starter at the beginning of the season, and his insertion into the lineup has confused players about their roles.  This has always seemed like a classic example of when you'd slowly integrate a player into a lineup, rather than forcing the issue.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 01:09:46 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Hayward's a team player. End of day it's really how many minutes you play and if you're in the game when it's still up for grabs and I'm sure he will be.

Given Hayward's a bit of a nerd, I wouldn't be surprised if he reads this forum and has seen all the calls for him going to the bench.  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 03:04:16 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Still don’t get the notion that he should come off the bench until he plays better.

Never saw a team be so fluid with starters based on performance the first month of the season. If this was game 4 of a playoff series, fine. But less than 15 games into a season?

If you plan to have him start long term, you have to let him get back to where he was with the players he’s going to play with. And some actually think he should come off the bench (crazy, imo). If that’s the case, we need to trade him. Regardless of what type of players we have “ahead” of him, there is no conceivable way to justify paying $30M per for a reserve.

So it really comes down to waiting for him to get back to his level, or trade him.

Putting him on the bench temporarily is pointless, even if he’s ok with it and Brad actually wants to. If we can’t win with him around our other four starters, they probably aren’t very good either.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 03:40:31 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Was there really any reason to think he wouldn't be good with coming off the bench?  Plenty of posters said oh the Celtics will never pay him $30M to come off the bench but there was never anything from any player or coach to make you think this would be an issue.

But if Hayward becomes the 6th man, why would Brown have to come off the bench too?  I think it is one or the other.  No need for both.  Unless Brown is hurt, I am fine with him starting.

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 04:32:37 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
His ball handling and passing has looked pretty good.  I'd like to see him come off the bench with Rozier and run the point in the half court thus allowing Rozier to play more off the ball.