Author Topic: 2020 Mock Off-season Rules, Teams, and Discussion Thread  (Read 41871 times)

Re: 2020 Mock Off-season Rules, Teams, and Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2020, 09:20:53 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The Cavs are reportedly listening to offers for Sexton, Love, and Nance.

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2020, 09:23:17 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Dwight Howard will return to the Lakers. Details of the contract are still unclear, but with the addition of Thompson, its unlikely to be more much more than the minimum.

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2020, 06:14:20 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Sacramento Kings are still interested in picks for a salary dump.

Experienced and cheap role players available are:

Cory Joseph, Quinn Cook, Kyle Kuzma, DJ Wilson, Ersan Ilyasova, Richaun Holmes and Javale McGee

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Woj:
Rudy Gobert is readily available for trade offers, with the Jazz reportedly wanting borderline All-Star level young talent in return for the best defensive player in the league.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2020, 07:48:18 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
The Cavs have made Kevin Love available in trade talks

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2020, 08:41:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Alright, I think I'm finally all done with my roster moves for now. I'd appreciate any and all feedback on what I've done. My goal in this game was basically to try and make at least one major move for all my teams. I think I definitely ticked that box.

Portland:
PG: Damian Lillard / Gary Trent Jr. / DeAndre' Bembry
SG: Buddy Hield / Rodney Hood / Mario Hezonja
SF: Trevor Ariza / Carmelo Anthony / Deni Avdija
PF: Nassir Little / Zach Collins / Isaiah Stewart
C: Nikola Vucevic / Enes Kanter / Tyson Chandler

Major moves: Traded CJ McCollum and Jusuf Nurkic, ended up with Buddy Hield, Nikola Vucevic and an additional first round pick (Isaiah Stewart). We also picked Deni Avdija in the lottery, and resigned Carmelo Anthony + signed DeAndre' Bembry.

We think the big three of Lillard-Hield-Vucevic is one of the best offensive trios in the league. 3 point shooting, passing and efficiency. One legit 30PPG threat, and two 20PPG threats. We will likely start Little and Ariza for defensive prowess, with Melo, Kanter and Hood providing important offence off the bench. We'll bring Avdija and Stewart along slowly, but in the long-term we see Batum and Favors like peaks in their future.

Utah:
PG: Chris Paul / Caris LeVert / Emmanuel Mudiay
SG: Donovan Mitchell / Furkan Korkmaz / E'Twaun Moore
SF: Joe Ingles / E'Twaun Moore / Georges Niang
PF: Bojan Bogdanovic / Nicolas Claxton / Jalen Smith
C: Jarrett Allen / DeAndre Jordan / Tony Bradley

Major moves: Traded Rudy Gobert, Mike Conley, Royce O'Neale and a future first for Jarrett Allen, DeAndre Jordan, Caris LeVert, Nicolas Claxton and Chris Paul, signed Furkan Korkmaz & E'Twaun Moore.

Everyone could kinda see a Gobert move coming. There was no way we would pay him his super-max, and we all know Rudy isn't short on confidence. I couldn't see him sticking around. So we gave Coach Snyder a 22 year-old with a very similar game to Gobert, a back-up who is still a near walking double-double in barely over 20MPG, one of the most damaging bench scorers in the league (who can grow into a starting wing-guard eventually), and arguably the best floor-general in the NBA. We're restarting Lob City, but with a little more salt ;) We think we have a chance at a championship in 2021.

Denver:
PG: Zach Lavine / Monte Morris / Evan Turner
SG: Gary Harris / Will Barton
SF: Jae Crowder / Torrey Craig / Vlatko Cancar
PF: Jerami Grant / Michael Porter Jr / Aleksej Pokusevski
C: Nikola Jokic / Jusuf Nurkic / Willy Hernangomez

Major moves: Traded Jamal Murray, received Zach Lavine and Jusuf Nurkic. Drafted Aleksej Pokusevski, signed Jae Crowder, Willy Hernangomez and Evan Turner.

Got the least done with Denver, but I'm still happy with how they look. I think Lavine is straight up a better player than Murray, especially when you consider how much they both earn. Lavine is an efficient 25PPG threat with freakish athleticism. I'm really excited about his pairing with Jokic on offence. Then we added a good defensive 3&D wing in Crowder, retained our 3&D power wing in Grant, and we predict we'll see a return of pre-Jamal Murray Gary Harris. MPJ will continue to break out, and Barton+Morris will be a great back-up back-court.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2020, 09:06:45 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
@gouki88: I like the moves for Utah best, even though on paper they gave up the best player in Rudy Gobert (DPOY). Mitchell as a playmaker is not cutting it, so with Paul you get a guy who can really get the best out of an excellent supporting cast. At least on offense (lots of good shooters), seems like Utah is going away from their defensive identity.

I definitely agree that LaVine is a better player than Murray, but it feels like Denver is still one move away for real contention.
Also pretty wild to pair Nurkic again in Denver with Jokic. Not sure that would work in the locker room.

Portland is a bit of a weird mix with players that are at their peaks and a bunch of guys that need a lot more experience. Not your fault though. They are a tough team to manage.

« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2020, 09:14:46 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Yeah, as the Orlando Magic, we took a long look at Zach Lavine. We were the one setting up that massive trade, and we thought about getting Lavine instead of including the Nuggets and getting Murray back. I went back and forth on it.

I definitely thinkLavine will be an all-star next to Joker. He may even become one of the elite scorers in the NBA. I'm a huge believer in his talent.

But the Magic were getting Bradley Beal, and we felt that Lavine and Beal were too similar to have as our backcourt. We think Murray has a lot of untapped potential as a scorer and distributor that will be unlocked as we put the ball in his hands. Denver was always going to run their offense through the brilliance of Jokic, but the Magic's offense will run through Beal and Murray in the high-pick-and-roll. With more usage in that position, we think Murray can take a leap.

It was really a win-win in my opinion. The Nuggets got better and got a better contract. The Magic got a better fit on their team and they were willing to take Murray's contract because they have important players on great contracts (Turner, Gordon).

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2020, 11:46:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My teams were pretty quiet, but pleased with their moves.

The Pacers were my original team.  I am not a fan of the draft this year, so we stayed put and only used our second-round pick (our first is with Milwaukee via Malcolm Brogdon).  We had two primary goals:

1) Split up Sabonis and Turner.  It was quite clear from all the lineup and on/off data that Sabonis and Turner do not pair well with each other on the court.  Our preference was to move Turner, as lineups with Sabonis and without Turner tended to perform better than the other way around. Additionally, Sabonis has an additional year on his deal, and has taken a bigger step forward in the last two seasons than has Turner, who seems to have stagnated a bit.

2) Make sure we have the tax room to resign Oladipo to a max next summer.

We feel we accomplished both of those goals very successfully.

The major move we made was trading Myles Turner for Jonathan Isaac and Evan Fournier.  We are ecstatic to have Isaac, who will be a much better fit next to Sabonis.  Isaac is a future All-NBA defender, potentially a DPOY candidate.  He averaged 4 blocks + steals this season, leading the entire NBA.  The advance metrics are also a fan of his defense.   Nate Silver's RAPTOR metric rates him as the 3rd best defender in the NBA.  He will start at the 4, and take the opposing teams best small forward/power forward, while Sabonis shifts to being a full-time center, which is where he's played  when both he and the Pacers have been at their best.

Isaac's offense is still a work in progress, but to be frank, so was Turner's, who had a tendency to disappear on offense.  We hope that giving Isaac less responsibility on offense (with a starting lineup that has Oladipo, Sabonis, and Brogdon, touches will be rare) will enable him to take the shots that are best for him.

We also expect that we will be able to extend Isaac for an amount that is consistent with our budget.

In addition to the aforementioned trade, we were able to resign Justin Holiday to a one-year deal with a team option for a second year at very reasonable money (Year one is $5.7 million), and take a bit of a gamble on Harry Giles (3 years, $16.67 million guaranteed, year 4 non-guaranteed at $6 million).  While Holiday has been a bit of a journeyman, he was arguably the Pacers most valuable player this year.  He was second in WAR to Sabonis, and lined up at four different positions while shooting a career 42% from 3 and rating as the Pacers best or second-best defender depending on the metric.  We recognize this season could have been Holiday having a career year at age 30, but the short-term nature of the deal plus the team option makes this deal practically risk-free.  We think there is a lot of untapped growth in Harry Giles' game, and if that growth is tapped, we think it will pair better with Sabonis than did Giles.

Our projected starting lineup is:

PG: Malcolm Brogdon
SG: Victor Oladipo
SF: TJ Warren
PF: Jonathan Isaac
C: Domantas Sabonis

Our primary reserves are:
PGs: Aaron Holiday, TJ McConnell
Wings: Justin Holiday, Evan Fournier, Doug McDermott
Bigs: Harry Giles

We think this team really meshes together well, with a good mixture of ball-handling and passing in the starting lineups, as well as players who can be 4th and 5th options on offense while being versatile on defense.  We think all of Brogdon, Oladipo, and Isaac will get All-NBA defense consideration this year.  Off the bench, we have three players who are coming off seasons shooting over 40% from three in Holiday, Fournier, and McDermott, who offer positional flexibility to sub in with different lineup combinations.  Aaron Holiday made some big steps forward in his second season, and shot 39% from 3 himself while playing defense that would not embarrass his brothers Jrue and Justin.  We think he'll be a starter in Indiana at some point, while McConnell is a fine 3rd PG.

We're a little shallow on big man depth, but it's sort of by design. We do think we can turn Giles into a useful reserve -- the talent and size are both there, and getting out of Sacramento can't be bad, and we wanted to make sure there were minutes available.  Goga Bitazde is another project -- essentially we view he and Giles as two chances to turn into one rotation player.  TJ Leaf has been a disappointment.  But he's an expiring deal.  If neither Giles nor Bitazde develop as we hope this season, we will look to use Leaf's $4.3 million expiring salary to help bring in a reserve big at the deadline.  Additionally, with some of the positional versatility we have at the wings, we will be able to play lineups without a traditional big when needed.  It's not our first choice, but we think we can match up very well when opponents try to go small to force Sabonis off the court.  A lineup of Brogdon, Oladipo, Justin Holiday, Warren, and Isaac should deter attempts at small ball.

The final two spots on our roster are taken up by Jeremy Lamb, who unfortunately tore his ACL at the end of February, and our 2nd-round pick Isaiah Livers.  Lamb can be another shooter off the bench when he recovers -- his mid-season return will be kind of like acquiring a player at the deadline. He has two years and $21 million left on his deal, so he wasn't really tradeable this offseason.  Livers is a kid we took a flyer on, but we think he can become a 3&D reserve after a year in the G-League.  We promised him guaranteed money this season to keep his name in the draft -- we think if he went back to school and stayed healthy that he would have been picked in the 20-40 range next year.

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2020, 12:06:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I took over my other team, the Raptors, after the draft.  The Raptors have a title-contending team this year, so their primary goal was to bring back their free agents and stay under the tax.  They were able to sign Fred Van Jordan to a long-term deal, as well as breakout big man Chris Boucher.  They also brought back Gasol on a 1-year deal, RHJ on a bargain 2-year deal, and swapped out Serge Ibaka for Paul Millsap.  With a final year left on Kyle Lowry's contract, it seemed the best thing to do was bring back this contender while keeping flexibility beyond this season -- we should have room for a max player the following summer to add to a core of Siakam, VanVleet, Anunoby, and Boucher.

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2020, 07:12:45 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
The new Miami Heat roster:

PG: Kemba Walker, Kendrick Nunn, Goran Dragic
SG: Duncan Robinson, Tyler Herro
SF: Jimmy Butler, Derrick Jones Jr., Tyler Bey (#23), KZ Okpala
PF: Serge Ibaka, Moritz Wagner, Chris Silva
C: Daniel Theis, Robert Williams, Meyers Leonard

Reasoning is that the Heat want to compete and while we already had a well-balanced roster, we lacked a go-to-scorer to take away some pressure on Jimmy Butler. While Butler is one of the most well-rounded players in the league we don't want to push him to be a 25+ scorer. Now with the addition of Kemba Walker the Heat have that guy.

While it hurts to give up Bam Adebayo, we have made a big step forward to give the Bucks and other teams a run for their money. In Daniel Theis we get a starting big back who can comfortably handle the defensive responsibilities. While with the signing of Ibaka we gain experience and add one of the more underrated players the league to our roster (fun fact: per 36, >1000 minutes, only 13 players average 20+/10+ and one of them is Ibaka). So we don't need to worry about our big men rotation.

Getting a multiple All Star in Walker is just a huge boost. Giving up the contracts of Andre Iguodala and Kelly Olynyk in exchange doesn't hurt at all, since Iguodala is washed and we believe that as a back-up PF Moritz Wagner can do a credible job as he as done in Washington.

With Robert Williams the Heat get one of the most talented centers in the league and we'll be patiently developing him, while Theis will have the starting job for now. In case of injuries we resigned Leonard on a team-friendly multi-year deal. The Heat didn't lose any other valuable players in free agency as we also resigned Dragic and Jones Jr.

Expected playoff rotation:

Kemba Walker 36 / Kendrick Nunn 16

Duncan Robinson 28 / Tyler Herro 20

Jimmy Butler 36 / Derrick Jones Jr. 16

Serge Ibaka 32 / Moritz Wagner 12

Daniel Theis 28 / Robert Williams 16

Reserves: Goran Dragic, Meyers Leonard