Poll

Who do you have as MVP so far? (3 votes possible)

Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks)
25 (33.8%)
Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
5 (6.8%)
Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans)
4 (5.4%)
Kevin Durant (Golden State Warriors)
3 (4.1%)
Joël Embiid (Philadelphia 76ers)
2 (2.7%)
Paul George (Oklahoma City Thunder)
1 (1.4%)
Tobias Harris (Los Angeles Clippers)
0 (0%)
Kyrie Irving (Boston Celtics)
4 (5.4%)
LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers)
15 (20.3%)
Nikola Jokic (Denver Nuggets)
0 (0%)
Kawhi Leonard (Toronto Raptors)
14 (18.9%)
Damian Lillard (Portland Trailblazers)
0 (0%)
Nikola Vucevic (Orlando Magic)
0 (0%)
Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)
1 (1.4%)
James Harden (Houston Rockets)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: March 19, 2019, 05:11:21 PM

Author Topic: MVP race 2018/2019  (Read 3358 times)

Re: MVP race 2018/2019
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 02:02:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yall have gotten too used to Westbrook averaging triple doubles cuz.... WESTBROOK IS AVERAGING A TRIPLE DOUBLE.  Yet not a single vote for even a top 3 until mine.

If you particularly don't want to include him, that's fine.  I'm sure you could come up with pretty good reasons.  But to think that almost nobody included him shocks me.  Did I mention that he's averaging a triple double?  And his team has the best win percentage in the West?  (12-5 when he plays, 5-3 when he's missed)

Westbrook is the most overrated player in the league.  I’d rather have someone like Damian Lillard on my team and I’d certainly take kyrie over him.   I’m still waitin I see if Westbrook will finally lead a team to 50 wins with his selfish stat padding.

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 03:47:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Without LeBron, that is a sad Lakers team. He has completely transformed them and made them a playoff team. Gotta be LeBron.
Lebron's on/off differential is only 4.  Giannis is 14.  Immense difference is value there.
One stat means nothing without context. And if I had an MVP vote I certainly would not make it based on one stat. How's this for one stat? At the end of the year whichever team increased their wins the most from last year, LA or Milwaukee, their player will get my vote. Seems as pertinent a stat as your's.
Come on now, you don't honestly believe that those are equivalent do you?  And sure context matters, but here's the thing Giannis has better counting stats and his team is much better when he is on the floor then when he is off the floor (more than Lebron's team).  No one stat is going to give the whole picture, but when looking at value, the one I've always put the most stock in is how much better is the team with that player in the game then when that player is on the bench.  That is basically the definition of value.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Without LeBron, that is a sad Lakers team. He has completely transformed them and made them a playoff team. Gotta be LeBron.
Lebron's on/off differential is only 4.  Giannis is 14.  Immense difference is value there.
One stat means nothing without context. And if I had an MVP vote I certainly would not make it based on one stat. How's this for one stat? At the end of the year whichever team increased their wins the most from last year, LA or Milwaukee, their player will get my vote. Seems as pertinent a stat as your's.
Come on now, you don't honestly believe that those are equivalent do you?  And sure context matters, but here's the thing Giannis has better counting stats and his team is much better when he is on the floor then when he is off the floor (more than Lebron's team).  No one stat is going to give the whole picture, but when looking at value, the one I've always put the most stock in is how much better is the team with that player in the game then when that player is on the bench.  That is basically the definition of value.
Why are they not equivalent? Your stat, which you find important is value on the court. Mine is value in the win column. Example of why your stat isn't always reliable, DeMarcus Cousins had great on/off court stats as well as great counting stats. It never translated to wins.

As far as I am concerned, in basketball, the most important stat is wins. You feel differently. Cool.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 06:01:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Curious if when people talk about how terrible Cleveland is this year they gloss over the fact that they haven’t had their first or second best player from last year (Lebron and love). Hill, Korver and jr Smith are all off the team and they are giving major minutes to a raw rookie point guard? It’s not the same team at all

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Was Lebron off on number better last year? (I don’t know where you are getting these numbers so can’t look them up)

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 06:18:31 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Why are they not equivalent? Your stat, which you find important is value on the court. Mine is value in the win column. Example of why your stat isn't always reliable, DeMarcus Cousins had great on/off court stats as well as great counting stats. It never translated to wins.

As far as I am concerned, in basketball, the most important stat is wins. You feel differently. Cool.

To estimate a championship caliber team, net point differential is a solid predictive metric. And right now at least, the Bucks are #1 in the NBA at +9.8 and the Lakers are top 12-15 at +2.2.

Analytically, the Bucks are significantly better than the Lakers. One team looks like a contender, and one team is in the mix to make the playoffs. And Giannis drives the Bucks as much as Lebron drives the Lakers, though he does have better teammates.

I don’t argue with your opinion that winning matters most. I just don’t think the improvement in wins is the end all be all way to measure that. It’s important though.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 07:02:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

To estimate a championship caliber team, net point differential is a solid predictive metric. And right now at least, the Bucks are #1 in the NBA at +9.8 and the Lakers are top 12-15 at +2.2.

Analytically, the Bucks are significantly better than the Lakers. One team looks like a contender, and one team is in the mix to make the playoffs. And Giannis drives the Bucks as much as Lebron drives the Lakers, though he does have better teammates.

I don’t argue with your opinion that winning matters most. I just don’t think the improvement in wins is the end all be all way to measure that. It’s important though.
I agree 100% that in determining an MVP, that there are a lot of factors and you should pick just one. I was just showing Moranis that one stat, on/off court differential isn't the end all be all. I think wins created is a great stat. Take that with Lebron's counting stats, his surrounding talent, and overall effect on the franchise and I think Lebron is the choice.

But I fully expect Giannis to get it. The voters love voting for different stars. MJ and Lebron should both been MVP just about every year they were in the league. But the voters gave them to Malone, Barkley, Rose, Westbrook, Nash, Magic his last MVP.

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 07:24:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Was Lebron off on number better last year? (I don’t know where you are getting these numbers so can’t look them up)
2.5 which isn't all that surprising as the Cavs were a mess with all sorts of roster upheaval

EDIT: That is per 100 possessions.  Just wanted to clear that up in case there was confusion.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:17:40 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 07:31:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

it isn't the same comparison though as Lebron switched teams and joined as a free agent (so the Lakers didn't have to give up anyone of any real value).  On/off absolutely shows affect on the win column as it shows how much better or worse your team is when you are in the game or on the bench. 

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 07:36:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Giannis, AD & Kawhi for me. Giannis and Kawhi are pretty obvious. Awesome levels of play on two contending teams.

AD isn’t on a contender really, but he’s roughly averaging 27/12/5/3/2. Just crazy numbers.

Can’t see how people put LeBron there when he is perhaps the single laziest defender in the whole Association. Worse than Harden at this stage
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 07:48:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
MJ and Lebron should both been MVP just about every year they were in the league. But the voters gave them to Malone, Barkley, Rose, Westbrook, Nash, Magic his last MVP.

The thing is, there is no "should have been" with the MVP award because there is no set criteria for the award. 

That's why we're able to debate it every year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

it isn't the same comparison though as Lebron switched teams and joined as a free agent (so the Lakers didn't have to give up anyone of any real value).  On/off absolutely shows affect on the win column as it shows how much better or worse your team is when you are in the game or on the bench.
Not sure how Lebron getting to the Lakers matters.

So on off shows effect on win column. Tell that to Anthony Davis in 2016-17 in New Orleans. Demarcus Cousins in multiple years in Sacramento. Kevin Love in multiple years in Minnesota. Joel Embiid in 2016-17 in Philadelphia. Carmelo Anthony in 2013-14 in New York. I could go on forever.

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 08:35:59 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Giannis, AD & Kawhi for me. Giannis and Kawhi are pretty obvious. Awesome levels of play on two contending teams.

AD isn’t on a contender really, but he’s roughly averaging 27/12/5/3/2. Just crazy numbers.

Can’t see how people put LeBron there when he is perhaps the single laziest defender in the whole Association. Worse than Harden at this stage.

You make a very good point here. LeBron is still putting up great numbers as he's always done, but his defense is atrocious. I think he's seriously declining and needs to take breaks on defense to have enough energy to carry the offense.

That's why I believe that the rumours that LA might make a trade for John Wall are correct. If they do that then LeBron can also sitback a bit on offense and just choose his moments to take over, while Wall is the primary playmaker. It's also one of his last seasons where he could have a (slight) chance at a title, so he's probably really pushing management to make moves for short term success.

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 09:08:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
If Lebron keeps up what he's doing and the Lakers win more than, like, 54 games. I think he might have to be my MVP. Which feels like a crazy thing for me to write because Giannis is averaging peak Kevin Garnett numbers right now for the team with the best point differential in the league.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:27:28 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Not sure how Lebron getting to the Lakers matters.

So on off shows effect on win column. Tell that to Anthony Davis in 2016-17 in New Orleans. Demarcus Cousins in multiple years in Sacramento. Kevin Love in multiple years in Minnesota. Joel Embiid in 2016-17 in Philadelphia. Carmelo Anthony in 2013-14 in New York. I could go on forever.
Lebron to the Lakers matters because you want to show the win improvement in the Lakers, but then want to use the Bucks win comparison when Giannis didn't join them last offseason (and thus he is already factored into the prior year).  The baselines aren't the same.  that is why you can't do it that way.

As for the rest, that just shows how bad the rest of those teams were, but all of those teams were significantly better when there star was in the game.  That is value.  The 17 Pelicans were 9.4 points better when Davis on the floor (per 100 possessions).  In actual numbers Davis was a +1.1 when in the game while the team overall ended up -2.1 on the season.  So because the team was so bad, was Davis not valuable.  I mean that is what you seem to be arguing, which just seems strange to me.  Just because a team is bad, doesn't mean a player isn't valuable or doesn't contribute to wins.