Author Topic: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?  (Read 48342 times)

Re: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2014, 07:46:38 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
If this was already mentioned forgive me for not reading through all the posts (no glasses)
Can this mean Crawford is soon to go , maybe in a package with bass?
Bayless can play pg pressey can back him up and looming on the horizon is rondos return

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2014, 07:47:39 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
espn has an article written up for the trade being accepted but it doesnt look like theyve decided to post it yet, unless ive overlooked it onthe headlines on the main and nba pages.  I googled jerryd bayless and the article popped up.  Heres a link to it....

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10247719/boston-celtics-looking-trade-courtney-lee-memphis-grizzlies-jerryd-bayless
Greg

« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2014, 07:53:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
BTW, howmany of the CB old timers remember the trade Rondo for Bayless threads years ago and how people scoffed at how Portland would never trade a talent like Bayless who could shoot and score for someone like Rondo.

You know how it is. Any young pg that has a decent stretch of play is either better than Rondo or "soon will be".

« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm surprised at this trade, because I hadn't heard any rumors, but I like it.

The trade for Lee was a good one when it was made—Danny got creative to acquire a shooter to help KG and Pierce on one more run. That plan didn't work out and has since been scrapped for a new (rebuilding) plan, and Lee didn't quite fit in with that (at least, not with that contract). Today's trade saves the Cs some money this season, but more importantly opens up cap space over the next couple seasons.

I like Lee and wish him well, but this is a good step for a rebuilding Cs team.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »

Offline ChefEricT

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
If this was already mentioned forgive me for not reading through all the posts (no glasses)
Can this mean Crawford is soon to go , maybe in a package with bass?
Bayless can play pg pressey can back him up and looming on the horizon is rondos return

I was thinking either Crawford or Bradley could be next.  Either way, I think there is more to come.  Even though this was a relatively small trade, it has me quite excited.  Nobody was talking about this before it happened.  I think it's safe to say that we all love to play GM (especially in a time of rebuilding) and many ideas are posted on here (though I haven't contributed much in a while), but nobody was talking about this possibility.  Going back to the assembly of GPA, we were posting all sorts of ideas, but Garnett didn't look like a realistic possibility and nobody was talking about Allen.  Out of left field, Danny trades for Allen and Garnett becomes realistic.  As much as we love to play GM, we can't get in Danny's head.  He's super creative and when everybody is looking left, he pulls off a trick from the right.  It just goes to show, we have no idea what is next, but I sure am excited to see.
Mock Deadline Denver Nuggets
Nurcic/Henson
Patterson/Bennett/Arthur
Ross/Budinger
Miller/Hunter/Foye
Rubio/Ennis/Bayless

« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
BTW, howmany of the CB old timers remember the trade Rondo for Bayless threads years ago and how people scoffed at how Portland would never trade a talent like Bayless who could shoot and score for someone like Rondo.

You know how it is. Any young pg that has a decent stretch of play is either better than Rondo or "soon will be".
That's not how it is.

« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2014, 08:09:50 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
http://instagram.com/p/izq75CqiLr/

Lee thanks Boston
Classy move

« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I knew that there was something behind sending Marshon Brooks to the D-League.

I thought this was happening-

Quote from: chambers on January 02, 2014, 06:11:42 AM
Of course it could be he's just getting some game time because he's got nothing better to do on the bench of the C's.

I should have worded my last post better but its hard to type a lot on the cell phone sometimes.

I agree with shak that something is fishy, we have different thoughts on why something fishy is up.

For a team that's trying to develop young guys, this may be the best way to do just that by giving Brooks some game time in D League.
It's just my personal opinion that he's been put on ice while we showcase the other guards.
Statistically he's a pretty good player on offense and his defense is average.
In Brooklyn in his second year he was shooting 46% from the field in 4 attempts a game as a jumpshooter althought his three point shooting was poor. His form looks good though and it's tough to say how much better he's gotten from behind the arc considering his pathetic playing time.

I'd say there's a big chance that we trade one or two of Lee, Bradley and Crawford and he slides into the regular rotation- that's what I mean by something 'fishy' being up.
Just pure speculation on my behalf but taking him out and giving him serious time with the scrubs is being done for a reason.
They said he wont be there long so maybe something is in the works :)

TP... should free up some minutes for Brooks.
How does trading a very good role playing guard for a very good role playing guard open up time for MarShon Brooks, a guard and the last player on the depth chart, a horrible one at that?

Lee took SG minutes, Bayless more than likely will take PG minutes. That means it's more likely that Bayless would be taking on Pressey's minutes as oppossed to Lee taking on potential Brook minutes. But Bayless can function out there with two PGs on the floor... but it's a different dynamic rotation wise.
Bayless is a combo guard, and a pretty good one at that. He can just take on Lee's role.

Now if Brooks starts getting minutes over Bayless, then I am going to start believing that Ainge is telling Stevens who to play and who not to play in a full out tank job. There's just no way Brooks deserves minutes over Bayless. Bayless is just too good.

Bayless is a good player but he's wild and unpredictable. He'll be reigned in under Steven's system ala Jordan Crawford.

I think there's a very good chance that Brooks is a rotation player now. It depends on where Stevens plays Bayless.
Does he bring Bayless in off the bench or does he start Bayless at PG and Bradley at SG with Craw off the bench?

I can see Pressey and Marshon's minutes being essentially swapped.
SG's: Bradley, Brooks
PG: Crawford, Bayless

Crawford and Bayless interchangeable combo guards.

We'll potentially see another move come shortly that will cement the guard rotation.
I wonder who goes...Bradley or Crawford?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Sad to see Lee go …just now picked his game up a notch …but in the long scheme of things its the right move and puts him on a nice team where he can get time and playoffs

« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

In fairness that was back in 2008-09 but yeah, that happens a lot.

« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 543
so if we can move bass for an expiring could we offer a max contract next year?

Say we move Bass for expiring  , and bottom out with a top 5 pick...

Sign Melo to a max deal

Now have the # 5 or higher pick to draft or trade for another big piece .

Melo is your # 1 scorerer and finisher
Sully is the # 2 option and beast in the low post
Rondo is # 3 option and sets everyone up
Green as 6th man off bench
-Bradley would fit perfectly at 2 guard, but not sure we can resign him , and still sign a max FA ?

We would be a rim protector away from a legit contender IMO
Melo or any other established 'max' caliber player isn't coming here.  Best chance is someone we'd hope will develop into that kind of talent - i.e. Hayward.

« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2014, 08:45:37 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

Sign Melo to a max deal

-Bradley would fit perfectly at 2 guard, but not sure we can resign him , and still sign a max FA ?

Melo or any other established 'max' caliber player isn't coming here.  Best chance is someone we'd hope will develop into that kind of talent - i.e. Hayward.

I strongly disagree with this. If the Celtics keep Rondo and this player wants to play with Rondo then why not? It's not like the weather is any worse in Boston. Plus you add in Sullinger and a top pick and this becomes a very attractive situation.

I remember when it was the said the Boston Red Sox would never attract top free agents either. People need to stop acting like coming to the Celtics is worse than going to the Bucks.

« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2014, 08:50:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Without reading 7 pages to see if this came up, I wonder if Houston would be more interested in Bass/Bayless(expiring) than Bass/Lee to go with the Clips pick. It's, what, $13M less in salary?

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819

Without reading 7 pages to see if this came up, I wonder if Houston would be more interested in Bass/Bayless(expiring) than Bass/Lee to go with the Clips pick. It's, what, $13M less in salary?

Bayless probably can't be traded on the trade deadline... that's why Houston wanted to trade Asik in mid December.

« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 543

Sign Melo to a max deal

I strongly disagree with this. If the Celtics keep Rondo and this player wants to play with Rondo then why not? It's not like the weather is any worse in Boston. Plus you add in Sullinger and a top pick and this becomes a very attractive situation.

I remember when it was the said the Boston Red Sox would never attract top free agents either. People need to stop acting like coming to the Celtics is worse than going to the Bucks.
Weather's too cold and team is too far from contending.  It's very, very difficult to attract a legitimate max player to a cold weather city that isn't NY.  BTW I'm not sold on Sully.  He's had serious problems when you defend him with size.  I'm not so sure his ceiling isn't slightly above a Big Baby Davis or Bass.  I think he needs a shot blocker at the 5 to not be anything more than an average defender.  Hope Im wrong.