Author Topic: Movies that looked good... but were awful  (Read 17532 times)

Movies that looked good... but were awful
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:38:15 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
All this movie talk got me thinking so here another one.

I'm going with Righteous Kill. I mean I'm think Pacino, De Niro, must be pretty good. Boy, I was wrong. Bad story, acting and predicable ending.

Re: Movies that looked good... but were awful
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 02:41:55 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
Alien vs. Predator, not that the trailer looked good. It sounded good on paper, then failed miserably. Way to kill two great series of movies with one awful remake.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I've definitely found myself in a theater laughing out loud at stuff that wasn't supposed to be funny just because it was so bad.  Always good for a few stares from the people seated near you.

Can we start a new thread for movies that looked mediocre, but ended up being just slightly above (or below) average?
Yup

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 02:47:04 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
The Happening.  The trailer really pulled me in and made me curious.  The movie itself was just lame but then again I haven't been a big fan of M. Night Shyamalan's movies aside from Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

Spider Man 3 was another one.  They really botched that one up.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 02:53:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 02:57:57 PM »

Online Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
All this movie talk got me thinking so here another one.

I'm going with Righteous Kill. I mean I'm think Pacino, De Niro, must be pretty good. Boy, I was wrong. Bad story, acting and predicable ending.

Man I had a feeling that movie was going to be bad, on of their commercials said, "Deniro, Pacino, what more do we need to say?" How about anything, saying that is like saying "We made such a bad movie, but since it has two great actors in it, you're gonna see it anyways!!!"

I'd have to say the Transporter, I wanted to like it, but it was just bad.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »

Online Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8SyqH3fjfA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szh5ZsAcgJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4IOoyrfi0s

Also, Cloverfield

Definitely agree with the Hulk, which should have been called the Bruce Banner since there was about 10 minutes of actual Hulk screen time, and Spiderman 3 was an absolute abomination. It is hard to believe the same director even made that one, one of the worst movies of last year. This scene alone made me want to vomit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVb2k-4LLrg

Superman I thought was ok, but I really liked Cloverfield.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 03:16:06 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Alien vs. Predator, not that the trailer looked good. It sounded good on paper, then failed miserably. Way to kill two great series of movies with one awful remake.

I just want to say one thing: How in the blue heck does 1 alien kill 2 predators? That's where that movie lost me, also when the Predator pantamimed "bomb". Thats when I started to sing the Odd Couple theme song.

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 03:22:23 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I gotta go with American Gangster.   It was good but it definitely did not meet my expectations. 
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 03:25:14 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I've definitely found myself in a theater laughing out loud at stuff that wasn't supposed to be funny just because it was so bad.  Always good for a few stares from the people seated near you.

Can we start a new thread for movies that looked mediocre, but ended up being just slightly above (or below) average?

Sure. Charlie Wilson's War was slightly better than I thought it would be, but that was just because of Philip Seymore Hoffman. I hope that helped.

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
did anyone see that movie "the happening" with mark wahlburg this past summer? TERRIBLE...i don't even know how to really describe just how bad it was. the acting was autrocious, and the way the movie played out was just plain stupid. the plot could have been good, but they just ruined it with everything else.

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 08:20:51 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Sure. Charlie Wilson's War was slightly better than I thought it would be, but that was just because of Philip Seymore Hoffman. I hope that helped.

Funny, for me that movie was slightly worse than I thought it would be, but I'd agree with the P.S.H. part (and unlike Before the Devil...I didn't have the opening scene image of his fat hairy butt emblazoned in my conscience for the entire movie....brrrr...still a tough image one shake)
Yup

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 08:39:31 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Out of the ones mentioned, I loved Cloverfield. Also, liked Hulk (the Eric Bana version) and Spider-Man 3 (loyalty?).

As for movies that looked good but were awful, I'll have to submit a few:

This is England, Hancock, Eastern Promises, The Devil's Rejects, Ghost Rider, Captivity, Matrix Revolutions, Doom, 88 Minutes all spring to mind. There's more too.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 08:54:54 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I have to go with Open Water.  It was like a ****o with much less nudity and sex.

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 10:10:03 AM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
Out of the ones mentioned, I loved Cloverfield. Also, liked Hulk (the Eric Bana version) and Spider-Man 3 (loyalty?).

As for movies that looked good but were awful, I'll have to submit a few:

This is England, Hancock, Eastern Promises, The Devil's Rejects, Ghost Rider, Captivity, Matrix Revolutions, Doom, 88 Minutes all spring to mind. There's more too.

Man, we really have different tastes in movies. Eastern Promises and Devil's Rejects were both phenomenal. Spider-Man 3 was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.