Author Topic: Patrick Mahomes signs 10 year extension with Chiefs  (Read 3279 times)

Patrick Mahomes signs 10 year extension with Chiefs
« on: July 06, 2020, 05:34:24 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
It looks like Patrick Mahomes just signed a 10 year, $450 million extension with the Chiefs: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1280245527955812354

I can't believe we're looking at a football contract this long (with the 2 years left before the extension kicks in, the Chiefs have him under contract for the next 12 years), or that someone has beaten Mike Trout's $420 million.

But more importantly, did no one tell the Chiefs that you could sign a former MVP for the league minimum?
I'm bitter.

Re: Patrick Mahomes signs 10 year extension with Chiefs
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would still rather be Trout.  Give me the guaranteed money.

It will be interesting to see how this is structured.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 06:32:24 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
"Guarantee mechanisms" has become the word of the day.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 07:25:15 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
He won't get anywhere close to $450M. One or two significant injuries to a mobile QB, plus the fact that defenses are in the processing of adjusting to guys like Mahomes and Jackson, and Kansas City will be regretting this contract in 6 or 7 seasons. Of course, if they win another title or three, it'll be worth it, but that's far from guaranteed.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 07:46:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Lol.  I saw one of those stupid hot take questions on ESPN:  If you had the #1 pick in an all-time draft, and you got to select one player’s entire career (including the future) who would you take #1, Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 08:41:11 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd love to hear the thought process from both sides to this deal.  This far from your typical NFL contract.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 09:03:38 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I'd love to hear the thought process from both sides to this deal.  This far from your typical NFL contract.

Same.  Most marquee players aren’t trying to negotiate deals like this anymore.  They want smaller deals with more guaranteed money so they can cash in and hit the market again.
Greg

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 10:24:27 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Rapoport saying it's $503M.

The start of a new dynasty in the NFL?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 11:37:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Insane. His best weapons are a 30 year-old TE, and a 26 year-old WR who relies entirely on blistering speed. Can't imagine they last the 12 years too!

Also not sure how long Reid has left in the tank. Hardly a healthy man, and he finally has his ring. I feel like trying to anoint new dynasties in a sport as dynamic as the NFL is always a waste of time. I thought the 2010 Pack was a start of a potential dynasty :P
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 11:42:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

$503 million if he reaches incentives.  He gets $1.25 million for every MVP, and another $1.25 for every trip to the Super Bowl.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 12:31:28 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I don't think there will be another NFL dynasty. Ever. Maybe a "mini dynasty," like where a team wins 2 Super Bowls in 3 or 4 years, but nowhere near a true dynasty, like the Brady-Belichick Patriots.

Lol.  I saw one of those stupid hot take questions on ESPN:  If you had the #1 pick in an all-time draft, and you got to select one player’s entire career (including the future) who would you take #1, Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes?

Perhaps the dumbest hot-take question ever.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 08:31:31 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Insane. His best weapons are a 30 year-old TE, and a 26 year-old WR who relies entirely on blistering speed. Can't imagine they last the 12 years too!

Also not sure how long Reid has left in the tank. Hardly a healthy man, and he finally has his ring. I feel like trying to anoint new dynasties in a sport as dynamic as the NFL is always a waste of time. I thought the 2010 Pack was a start of a potential dynasty :P

I think it depends on how one defines a dynasty.  None will be able to reach the double-dynasty of the Brady-Belichick Patriots, but with Mahomes I think they could get close to being a dynasty of at least being top 5 superbowl favorites going into each season. Apparently the Chiefs gained $200M in value as a franchise after his rookie year, and now their fans will increase even further knowing they'll probably be fun to root for the next decade.  No other team can say that. 

Having said that, I challenge Mahomes to win another championship while not having the insane advantage of having a rookie contract QB salary cap.  It's a heck of a lot harder.

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 01:01:24 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I think it depends on how one defines a dynasty.  None will be able to reach the double-dynasty of the Brady-Belichick Patriots, but with Mahomes I think they could get close to being a dynasty of at least being top 5 superbowl favorites going into each season. Apparently the Chiefs gained $200M in value as a franchise after his rookie year, and now their fans will increase even further knowing they'll probably be fun to root for the next decade.  No other team can say that. 

Having said that, I challenge Mahomes to win another championship while not having the insane advantage of having a rookie contract QB salary cap.  It's a heck of a lot harder.

People started referring to the Pats as a dynasty after 3 SB wins, right? I could see that happening with Mahomes (especially if he can get another one in the 2 years before the extension kicks in), but at this point Bill and Tom have pushed the definition of a dynasty to insane levels
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 01:07:56 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

People started referring to the Pats as a dynasty after 3 SB wins, right? I could see that happening with Mahomes (especially if he can get another one in the 2 years before the extension kicks in), but at this point Bill and Tom have pushed the definition of a dynasty to insane levels

Yeah,  the talk during that playoff run ('04-'05) was that if the Pats repeated, you could put the "dynasty" tag on them because it would be 3 in 4 years. 

We'll see what happens with Mahomes and the Chiefs.  Dynasties are really tough.   People had SEA annointed as the next dynasty in the making after SB48 and they never won another.  There are no sure things.  Injuries, complacency, free agency.  All big factors that come into play. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team