Author Topic: Team without an identity?  (Read 4733 times)

Re: Team without an identity?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2021, 09:36:58 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
Of course it is made up. Chef is being facetious.

This is one of those "what he really meant to say" comments.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2021, 10:11:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Of course it is made up. Chef is being facetious.

This is one of those "what he really meant to say" comments.
I actually mean that Tatum could be thinking that before the game vs self reflection. If was thinking that going into the game that a team would just want to lose its terrible. If he self reflects trying to put meaning into why his energy might not have been there for himself it's different. I'm hoping Tatum's problems with attitude to start games and during games improves.

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 10:19:28 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Two games in and a few preseason games, I'm not surprised they don't have an identity yet. But it does start to form in these opening ten or fifteen games. And you're right, the team tends to take on the characteristics of its best player. We really need Tatum (and Brown) to set the tone for what they expect from their teammates. After that effort they should be the first ones hitting practice tomorrow and should be letting their teammates know that the collective effort wasn't acceptable.

I'm not surprised that they are stumbling through things. New team, new coach, they're not going to be that polished yet. I am surprised that the intensity wasn't there in the 2nd half given they should all be trying to impress their new coach. This flaw they have in their heads, where they lose heart when they start missing shots and when ref calls don't go their way, which they affects their defense and their demeanor on the court, that's something Ime has to excise out of them right away. The on court fluency and chemistry should come, but they have to fix the attitude issue right away.

all very fair points. what concerns me is what’s found in the following quote: “ the team tends to take on the characteristics of its best player. We really need Tatum (and Brown) to set the tone for what they expect from their teammates.”

i believe the team HAS taken on the character of its best player; the problem is JT doesn’t seem to possess the indomitable will to win. he seems content to be spoken of in circles he hasn’t actually attained, and he’s believing the hype that’s surrounded him since he entered the league. his hero kobe just wanted to win and could be an Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. when the team needed to be pushed. JT just doesn’t have that “mamba mentality”. i hate the lakers but respect the hell out of kobe, his leadership, and his will to win. JT? meh.

i also don’t think JT and JB know how to set the tone for what they expect from their teammates. in their four-plus years together, we haven’t witnessed much real leadership from them. embarrassing losses punctuated by remorseless poor effort, followed by all the right words from JT and JB, but nothing ever really changed.

this team needs a major shakeup, not a few tweaks or one final puzzle piece, if the C’s want to contend.

Good take. 

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 05:05:27 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Two games in and a few preseason games, I'm not surprised they don't have an identity yet. But it does start to form in these opening ten or fifteen games. And you're right, the team tends to take on the characteristics of its best player. We really need Tatum (and Brown) to set the tone for what they expect from their teammates. After that effort they should be the first ones hitting practice tomorrow and should be letting their teammates know that the collective effort wasn't acceptable.

New team, new coach, they're not going to be that polished yet. I am surprised that the intensity wasn't there in the 2nd half given they should all be trying to impress their new coach. This flaw they have in their heads, where they lose heart when they start missing shots and when ref calls don't go their way, which they affects their defense and their demeanor on the court, that's something Ime has to excise out of them right away. The on court fluency and chemistry should come, but they have to fix the attitude issue right away.

New pieces, but the core of Smart, Brown, and Tatum is the same. Al has played with those guys in the past too. This is Timelord and Grants 3rd season, both Schroder and Richardson have been in the league for a while now. They just seem like they have no idea how to play with each other and the lineups that Ime puts out there don’t make sense a lot of the time. I think the team would perform so much better if the coach would let Schroder and Horford start together. They have good chemistry with each other, Al is a good enough 3rd option and he spreads the floor. The passing is so much better too.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2021, 05:12:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

New team, new coach, they're not going to be that polished yet. I am surprised that the intensity wasn't there in the 2nd half given they should all be trying to impress their new coach. This flaw they have in their heads, where they lose heart when they start missing shots and when ref calls don't go their way, which they affects their defense and their demeanor on the court, that's something Ime has to excise out of them right away. The on court fluency and chemistry should come, but they have to fix the attitude issue right away.

New pieces, but the core of Smart, Brown, and Tatum is the same. Al has played with those guys in the past too. This is Timelord and Grants 3rd season, both Schroder and Richardson have been in the league for a while now. They just seem like they have no idea how to play with each other and the lineups that Ime puts out there don’t make sense a lot of the time. I think the team would perform so much better if the coach would let Schroder and Horford start together. They have good chemistry with each other, Al is a good enough 3rd option and he spreads the floor. The passing is so much better too.

Sounds like you are saying there is a coaching problem.

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2021, 06:06:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It’s really a team without an engine.  Smart not good enough to create offense and those that said he only needed to be a bus driver  could have been more wrong.  This team needs playmaking and someone that can set the offense at the point more than anything.

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »

Offline JBJT619

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
Lol a team without a head coach. I'm really going to enjoy watching all of you have the moment were the light goes on and it dawns on you that Brad is leagues better than this guy. It honestly looked like Ime was running a simplified version of Brad's offense lol. Everybody complained about Brad's rotations and it was disgusting watching Grant get wrecked because he sounds good and plays hard in practice lol.

This is honestly great haha. I give Ime, what 2 years?

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2021, 09:21:57 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
It’s really a team without an engine.  Smart not good enough to create offense and those that said he only needed to be a bus driver  could have been more wrong.  This team needs playmaking and someone that can set the offense at the point more than anything.

Dennis Schroder could be that engine, but Udoka prefers to start 2 SG, 1SF, and 2C, which is just not working.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 10:14:03 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2021, 11:36:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Lol a team without a head coach. I'm really going to enjoy watching all of you have the moment were the light goes on and it dawns on you that Brad is leagues better than this guy. It honestly looked like Ime was running a simplified version of Brad's offense lol. Everybody complained about Brad's rotations and it was disgusting watching Grant get wrecked because he sounds good and plays hard in practice lol.

At most .  I think Brad s own leash is only 4 years max ….Brad can’t afford to tread water with him more than two years. 

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2021, 11:43:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I was with you until you said Schroder should start.

Schroder has looked to me like a guy who should be scoring 30 ppg ... in the Chinese league.  Not a guy who ought to be in an NBA rotation.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2021, 11:55:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Schroder has looked to me like a guy who should be scoring 30 ppg ... in the Chinese league.  Not a guy who ought to be in an NBA rotation.

I’m predicting his stay will be short and not very sweet.  oh….he ll have a few games where he ll do more right than wrong .  But in the end , the result is he won’t be here.

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2021, 11:58:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

At most .  I think Brad s own leash is only 4 years max ….Brad can’t afford to tread water with him more than two years.

for a guy on a short leash he sure went out on a limb with his coaching hire.

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2021, 12:04:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He is by far our best penetrator off the dribble and is our most aggressive passer. He should 100% start
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2021, 12:17:30 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Well, the C’s have to start someone at point guard. Smart doesn’t have the passing instincts and I don’t trust his decision making. I expect Schroder to play better with time, I don’t expect that from Smart anymore.

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2021, 12:39:33 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Last Year’s Celtics:
- iso-heavy, stagnant offense
- dependent on the three
- lackadaisical defensive effort

This is exactly what I’ve seen this year only with more turnovers and less rebounds. They haven’t been fun to watch in two games (other than Brown in game 1).

I don’t think we’ve been iso-heavy at all. Just a lot of bad decision making but with a willingness to move the ball. Just bad decision-making.

We’ve also been taking it inside more, but just can’t finish. Fouls are being called differently this year and this team can’t/isn’t adapting. Just even more whining than ever.

And the defense? Well, everything but the rebound. But guys are fighting a lot harder than last year. The reason we can’t secure a rebound is because we have lineups where all our guys are below 6’7”. The Raptors showed us the value of length

I’ll agree with you that the team hasn’t been fun to watch
- LilRip