Author Topic: Mook's full comments ripping the Celtics attitude  (Read 10607 times)

Re: Mook's full comments ripping the Celtics attitude
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
None of these men lead their teams to NBA championships with their mouth....not one.

Wrong, Larry Bird calling his team mates sissies turned a series around.....

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Last night Gallinari was a plus 25.

Who was covering Gallinari?

Morris.

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2019, 01:00:25 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
brad is part of the problem because  he continues to let guys "play through it" and doesn't cut their minutes or bench them after poor play/habits. This just reinforces their bad habits.

put tatum on the bench after he takes a few contested long 2 pointers, tell rozier we are pulling you for wannamaker if you refuse to move the ball. That will get their attention alot more than just letting guys "play through their mistakes"

that has been brads biggest downfall this season. his refusal to stray from his rigid rotation has reinforced bad habits and not only that has allowed guys who are having a "hot" shooting night to cool down.

I'm so curious,  if everyone stays healthy; what will Brad's playoff rotations look like?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2019, 01:04:52 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
CBS doesnt like change.  They had 3 plays and played pick and roll basketball.  Just play a [dang] zone, for awhile, and disrupt it.

Also, can we try to go big? Maybe that would solve some of those defensive problems in the 2nd half.

I've been noticing Tatum doesn't like to pass the ball...especially to Hayward.  Hayward has his man sealed and Tatum is out there doing his 1 on 1 clear out move. That crap has to stop! Get your shots in the flow of the offense and quit being selfish. And that goes for Morris too. He just puts his head down and goes 1 on 1 like he's playing Markieff in the back yard.

There enters his training moves and mentality from Kobe Bryant!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2019, 01:07:55 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
I think this discussion is warranted.  The Celtics should be playing better.  They are under achieving.  Under achieving teams (players and coaches) should feel some pressure.

In terms of the cheering and having fun, I buy that only up to a point.  Hayward for example is a veteran who is trying to come back from a career threatening injury.  He is not having fun and it has nothing to do with him being a bad teammate or anything like that.  Even before the injury, he is a mellow guy.  He is not going to be waving towels around.  Supporting your teammates in whatever roll you are asked to fill is a fair expectation but that can manifest itself in many more ways than waving towels on the bench.  Morris expressed in in a very simplistic way but what he is saying is very likely true, just more nuanced than he articulated.

As far as the young guys (Tatum, Brown, Rozier) none of them seem to be playing as well as last year and it is impacting the team.  I don't know to what extent they are sulking about not being as highly featured or if they are just young players that the NBA is figuring out.  They do all seem to be less scrappy this season.  They are certainly less productive.  I don't think any of them are bad teammates though.  I think they are all good character players.

So maybe the starters should be Irving-Smart-Hayward-Morris-Horford, Bring Tatum, Brown, and Rozier off the bench.  Tell them they can start again when they figure out how to be effective in the NBA on a consistent basis.

They're just gonna be like "well we're getting traded in the summer for AD anyways, what's the point of fighting for starting spots?"

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2019, 01:09:13 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
this is danny's mess.  ive said from last summer they had to many players,   everyone in the media said they had too many players and yet danny decided to horde his assets and put that above winning this year.   

i know brad can coach.  why would danny make it such a hard job i'll never understand.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:24:25 PM by Chief Macho »

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Sadly, because Stevens is such a nice guy and refuses to say the things that need to be said, we get guys like Morris saying them.

Problem is, when a teammate says this it just creates more division. That's why the coach needs to be the one saying this stuff.

Really wish we had Doc back right now, I have full confidence he'd be getting through to these guys. Stevens looks like he's in over his head, unfortunately.

How do you know CBS is not saying it? Are you in the lockerroom? There are plenty of reports of cbs holding players accountable and even yelling at them. Saying things to the media may feel good but they rarely help the issue. Just because cbs doesn’t say that stuff to the media doesn’t mean it’s not being said.

Stevens has never struck me as the type to bow before anyone. He’s the same guy all the time. He is straight forward, confident, and working the problem. He is not b—————ing to the media, even if that may feel good to do.

The fact multiple players have come out and said similar things in the media is what shows me Brad isn't saying the right things to the players.

And for what it's worth, Popovich has never had a problem calling out the team publicly when they're playing selfish, uninspired, lazy basketball. So, yeah, you're probably wrong here.

I've never said Brad is a terrible coach.   But right now we're seeing his flaws get exposed. My hope is he can overcome these flaws. The bottom line is the team isn't responding to whatever he's doing currently. It's his job to find a way.

Wasn't it two weeks ago Pop called out his team after their WIN against the Suns? At home by a Rudy Gay buzzer beater? We need that kind of in-stilled attitude from Stevens. We need coaches that scream directly at their players during timeouts like Stan Van Gundy, make your vocalization known!

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2019, 01:15:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Sadly, because Stevens is such a nice guy and refuses to say the things that need to be said, we get guys like Morris saying them.

Problem is, when a teammate says this it just creates more division. That's why the coach needs to be the one saying this stuff.

Really wish we had Doc back right now, I have full confidence he'd be getting through to these guys. Stevens looks like he's in over his head, unfortunately.

really? the same guy who admitted he cannot coach a rebuild? Yeah why dont you bring him back and gift him another championship.

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2019, 01:22:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I'm not convinced that Doc would manage their personalities as well as you think.  His Clippers locker room was completely fractured when he was coaching Blake, CP3, and Jordan in their prime years.

He did an excellent job of managing ego's in Boston, but let's not ignore that Pierce, Ray, and KG were at the back end of their prime.  Individual accomplishments weren't a priority at that point.  Rondo was the biggest pain in the *** but Doc had KG to help keep him in line. 

People are underselling how unique the current roster mix is in modern NBA history.  Let's have Brad yell at Tatum, Brown, Rozier etc.  You know what their reaction will be?  Danny is going to ship me out for AD anyways......

This......the big three did not need that much coaching...that was their last chance to win.

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2019, 01:31:19 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I think this discussion is warranted.  The Celtics should be playing better.  They are under achieving.  Under achieving teams (players and coaches) should feel some pressure.

In terms of the cheering and having fun, I buy that only up to a point.  Hayward for example is a veteran who is trying to come back from a career threatening injury.  He is not having fun and it has nothing to do with him being a bad teammate or anything like that.  Even before the injury, he is a mellow guy.  He is not going to be waving towels around.  Supporting your teammates in whatever roll you are asked to fill is a fair expectation but that can manifest itself in many more ways than waving towels on the bench.  Morris expressed in in a very simplistic way but what he is saying is very likely true, just more nuanced than he articulated.

As far as the young guys (Tatum, Brown, Rozier) none of them seem to be playing as well as last year and it is impacting the team.  I don't know to what extent they are sulking about not being as highly featured or if they are just young players that the NBA is figuring out.  They do all seem to be less scrappy this season.  They are certainly less productive.  I don't think any of them are bad teammates though.  I think they are all good character players.

So maybe the starters should be Irving-Smart-Hayward-Morris-Horford, Bring Tatum, Brown, and Rozier off the bench.  Tell them they can start again when they figure out how to be effective in the NBA on a consistent basis.

I think this could be a good Idea. Have a veteran starting lineup and Young second Unit. Tell them to pretend it's last years playoff

lol .... I said this before the season. Basketball is such a different game with in and out substitutions that the idea of a starting five is stooooooooopid.  Celtics have been poorly coached and managed this season. With the amount of talent on this team it should have been coached like the 1985/86 team with Walton. There should be two teams with equal respect. If this had been done there would be better identity and even healthy competition among both teams.

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

really? the same guy who admitted he cannot coach a rebuild? Yeah why dont you bring him back and gift him another championship.

Doc never admitted he couldn't coach a rebuilding team. He simply didn't want to. He also wanted the promotion to GM that came with the Clippers job.

Doc has proven he can get a lesser talented team to over-achieve in both Orlando and LA. He's proven he can manage a team of big egos and big talent. He has won a NBA title and COY award, he's bonafide.

Stevens has proven he can get a lesser talented team to over-achieve, but has yet to prove he can manage big egos and big talent. Preliminary evidence suggests he might not be able to. At the very least it's something he is currently struggling with.

So, yes, it's quite fair to say Doc would most likely be a better coach for this current roster. It's very unlikely to happen, though, so I just hope Stevens can grow in the areas he needs to in order to meet the demands of the job.

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2019, 04:22:20 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
this is danny's mess.  ive said from last summer they had to many players,   everyone in the media said they had too many players and yet danny decided to horde his assets and put that above winning this year.   

i know brad can coach.  why would danny make it such a hard job i'll never understand.

From that first preseason game it was very apparent this wasn’t going to be easy. Once the offense bogs down they all start taking hero shots which just compounds the problem.

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2019, 04:27:47 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

From that first preseason game it was very apparent this wasn’t going to be easy. Once the offense bogs down they all start taking hero shots which just compounds the problem.

Should have swapped rozier and morris for a vet backup point.  Beverely?   This would have let Brown/Tatum/Hayward battle it out and keep progressing.    Still would have had Semi for injury problems. 

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2019, 04:28:19 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Morris amd rozier should have been traded.

Back earlier in season for morris when value was high, rozier at deadline.

They have been issues since day 1 and I do not see why they werent moved. Unless danny is planning on overpaying for them, their expiring serviceable contract should have been moved for salary balast amd picks to add to a davis trade.

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2019, 04:31:31 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Morris amd rozier should have been traded.

Back earlier in season for morris when value was high, rozier at deadline.

They have been issues since day 1 and I do not see why they werent moved. Unless danny is planning on overpaying for them, their expiring serviceable contract should have been moved for salary balast amd picks to add to a davis trade.

We’re trying to win a title this year. Mook is in our starting lineup and Rozier is a key rotational player. Trading them for draft picks is really “counter intuitive.”