Author Topic: Moving to Boston..  (Read 2003 times)

Moving to Boston..
« on: May 08, 2009, 04:24:39 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
hello, all... I would just like to announce that in a couple months I shall be moving to Boston. I spent the first 13 years of my life in a city (Portland, ME) before moving to a tiny rinky dink town with nothing to offer. I've always considered myself more of a city slicker, and I've been to Boston multiple times, loved it and always sort of felt at home here (Seems kind of odd to say about a city, I guess) Anyway, I'm really excited about it, as Massachusetts as a whole appeals more to my interests than Maine does. Maine, at least to my knowledge doesn't offer much in terms of places to skateboard, whether it be a skatepark or the streets and Sugarloaf and Sunday River mountains for snowboarding are actually closer to Boston than where I am now, so that works out for the best, as well.

So yea, with some money I have saved up from various adventures, when I turn 18 in a couple months I will be looking for an apartment with my friend somewhere in Boston. Looking for the breath of fresh air. Oh and almost forgot the best part of all... Celtics games whenever possible  ;D

Anything I should know about the city that I might not know already?

Re: Moving to Boston..
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 05:53:35 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Hi toaster,

Good luck- I lived for the first 50+ years of my life in Boston and suburbs. Finally got the hell out and moved to Maine ;D  - not too far though, only to Buxton.
But I can understand a young person wanting to be in the city. Lots of good things about Boston, and some not so good.
Lots to do, more opportunities and options, plenty of young people(colleges), and your accent won't even sound strange to the natives!
The worst IMO is the traffic- constant traffic jams, usually with no real cause. And the unbelievable corruption of the politicians, but that's not really specific to Boston. Also ridiculously expensive housing costs.

But go for it, and enjoy yourself city slicker!!

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 07:42:37 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Yea, I was *aheh* attempting to drive to drive in Boston not too long ago. I just got so frustrated and whatever I just pulled over at the nearest place I could, hopped out, got in the back told my friend to drive then fell asleep lol. But yea, traffic is always to be expected in a major city, and it's something I don't deal with in Maine a lot. I'm in Bangor daily and never have a traffic jam, so it's something I will have to get used to it. But then again, while I've been to Boston around 10-15 times I still haven't seen the whole city, but I've heard the city is actually pretty small and it's fairly easy to walk wherever. That'd be fine for me, I skateboard everywhere now, anyway. Hell, I even snowboarded in to town once because my town (Bucksport) is basically just one big hill. Fun times haha

Anyway, I think my biggest concern is not knowing anyone (Big reason why I convinced a friend to come, too) because despite the user name, I'm not really a lonely toaster lol but, I guess it's just another chance to meet brand new people.

Also, it's funny you meantion the accent bit, Ken cause I actually have a pretty weird one. My mom is from the Dirty Jers and I picked up a lot from that, I mean I pronounce water werter for some reason lol and then there's hints of Boston and Northern Maine, I guess it'd be called. Ah, I don't know it's weird lol

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 08:39:19 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
What do you plan to do in Boston?  Do you plan on getting a job or going to school?  Depending on what type of cushion you have financially it might be tough affording a 2br apartment right in Boston just moving in at 18.  But I know you'll have a blast once you're here.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:42:25 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Yea, I was *aheh* attempting to drive to drive in Boston not too long ago. I just got so frustrated and whatever I just pulled over at the nearest place I could, hopped out, got in the back told my friend to drive then fell asleep lol. But yea, traffic is always to be expected in a major city, and it's something I don't deal with in Maine a lot. I'm in Bangor daily and never have a traffic jam, so it's something I will have to get used to it. But then again, while I've been to Boston around 10-15 times I still haven't seen the whole city, but I've heard the city is actually pretty small and it's fairly easy to walk wherever. That'd be fine for me, I skateboard everywhere now, anyway. Hell, I even snowboarded in to town once because my town (Bucksport) is basically just one big hill. Fun times haha

Anyway, I think my biggest concern is not knowing anyone (Big reason why I convinced a friend to come, too) because despite the user name, I'm not really a lonely toaster lol but, I guess it's just another chance to meet brand new people.

Also, it's funny you meantion the accent bit, Ken cause I actually have a pretty weird one. My mom is from the Dirty Jers and I picked up a lot from that, I mean I pronounce water werter for some reason lol and then there's hints of Boston and Northern Maine, I guess it'd be called. Ah, I don't know it's weird lol

Get to know the T. Like really well. You'll find that the Green line is awful. You could live in Boston and still take an hour plus to get into Park Street/Downtown. Red and Orange are typically better, as is the Blue's brand new coaches. Know what neighborhoods it reaches and those that don't.

You are correct when you say Boston proper is small. Boston is a very walkable, sometimes even bikable city, if you've got the cajones.) Add in the neighborhoods (Roslindale, West Roxbury, Hyde Park etc.) and it's not so small and walkable. If I were just moving into the city, I'd look at suburbs around the city for housing.

Living in Boston and the neighborhoods is stupidly expensive, especially for an 18 year old. (Trust me on this, I worked 2-3 jobs in college to make rent.) Somerville (outside of Davis) Malden and Medford typically have lower rents than Brookline and Cambridge as far as the suburbs go. Allston and Brighton is awesome if you're into bars and meeting other people, but they aren't as affordable as the suburbs, and housing is really hit or miss.