Author Topic: Shams: Smart & Celtics will not agree to deal by deadline tonight (luxury tax)  (Read 9878 times)

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I feel like it is simple - Danny did not want to go into the luxury a year early to avoid repeater tax for as long as he can.
Signing Smart to an extension wouldn't affect Smart's salary this season.  The extension starts next season just like re-signing him during next offseason would. 

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Mark Murphy tweet:

Agent Happy Walters confirms that Smart fails to reach deal on extension with Celtics. "It will cost them a lot more next year."

:(
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Since danny didn't want to go into luxury tax, I'm assuming smart asked for something more than $18 mill And Celtics wanted something below $18 mill.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Mark Murphy tweet:

Agent Happy Walters confirms that Smart fails to reach deal on extension with Celtics. "It will cost them a lot more next year."

smarts going to be gone at the trade deadline. I have a feeling that Danny wants to sign rosier  to a long term budget deal and bet on him rather than overpay for smart.. Who could we possibly get for an expiring Marcus smart? I wonder

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:27:07 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Mark Murphy tweet:

Happy Walters was Noel's agent when he reportedly turned down a 4 year 70M contract.  Now Noel is playing for his 4.1M qualifying offer.  Smart is likely to be disappointed in his offers next offseason. 

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the deadline comes around and Smart is still a woeful sub 40% from the field and sub 30% from 3, maybe Smart should be moved. Smart's gonna want Harris money no matter what he does this year and Danny is only going to offer him Roberson money if he can't shoot.

Wonder what Danny could get for Smart and a first rounder?

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Mark Murphy tweet:

TP for the tweet.

That sounds like a very bitter statement from Smart's camp. I agree with others that I would love to keep Smart around for many years on a team friendly deal, but that doesn't appear to be the goal for all parties.

I also agree with others that the trade deadline could mean the end to Smart's Celtics' career. I am certainly not hoping for this, but AB and IT were moved because they were going to cost too much next year...and they were starters.

If we do hold on to him, (likely if you look at our last couple of 1st round picks coming off of their rookie deals), it really is going to come down to the market for Smart and if he would rather play for a winning organization or a perennial loser. For his sake, I hope he doesn't go on his agent's advice and go the Noel route.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
im of course a huge smart fan,   but that aside ,  FO most likey made a huge mistake ,  in that im thinking it will cost way more to keep him latter than now.

Wye might as well get use to the tax gig.....i d don't see how you compete with teams who ar in the luxury tax already to compete.   If you don't comitt to resigning players , then ypu just as well might hang it up against the teams that will.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm starting to think Terry Rozier (the "filler" in ALL our trade ideas) is TRULY THE UNTOUCHABLE HERE ON THIS TEAM  :laugh:

You get the feeling Ainge will let Smart walk now while he gets overpaid elsewhere (4/80+M), and then Ainge extends Rozier long term  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
In today's game the guys who command big bucks are the ones who can put the ball in the basket consistently.  Smart's a terrific guy to have, but he's not going to move the needle any for a crappy team. Which means he doesn't deserve to be paid like a star.

I do however agree that Dallas is a likely destination and personally I think there's a pretty good chance that the Celtics will lose him.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Math problem.

Right now, assuming the Celtics opt-in on both Terry & Jaylen next year, they have 107M committed to 11 players for 2018-19.

If the luxury tax threshold is roughly ~125M, then that leaves just around 18M of room to play before going over.

In addition to Marcus, Aron Baynes and Shane Larkin will be Unrestricted Free Agents and we will also have to potentially sign both our own pick (which won't cost too much) and possibly the LAL18 pick (which could cost between 4.4M and 6M).

When people are talking about numbers as low as 12M and as high as 20M for Marcus Smart (and the Gary Harris comp comes in at 16.5M in the first year of that 84M deal), you can see how suddenly that ~18M of room under the tax can disappear pretty quickly.

I think Danny also has to wait to see whether the Laker's pick will convey or not.  Because it represents a big chunk of salary commitment.

And what do you do about Aron Baynes?  If he plays well, he could cost a lot more than this year's 4M bargain deal.  Even if you let him walk, you have to replace his big body with someone.  And veteran big bodies aren't cheap.

I concur with SaltLover:   I would view Dallas as a serious threat to make an offer sheet for Marcus.   They have very little committed money for 2018-19 and other than Dennis Smith, Jr., I don't see any of their guards as more compelling than Smart.
Why would Dallas prioritize Smart over unrestricted free agents like Bradley and KCP or re-signing Curry?  Restricted free agents are attracting even less interest than usual.  Defensive oriented role players (non-bigs) don't attract big offers.

Because of what I outlined about Boston's salary & tax situation.   This puts Marcus in the situation where his 'market value' contract is dangerously close to the 'out of price range' for Boston.   I.E., he becomes the rare restricted free agent situation where an offer sheet only has to be a little bit over market value in order to steal him from his original team.     Worse case for Dallas would be tying up cap space for the offer sheet period and forcing Boston to have to match for more than they probably want to do.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
If the deadline comes around and Smart is still a woeful sub 40% from the field and sub 30% from 3, maybe Smart should be moved. Smart's gonna want Harris money no matter what he does this year and Danny is only going to offer him Roberson money if he can't shoot.

I don't understand how anyone can point to the Gary Harris contract as a comp here. It's delusional. Harris is a quality defender who scored 14.9 points a game, shot 50% from the field and was a 42% 3pt shooter.

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
If he shoots well this year, a 45/35/80 split, and provides DPOY-like defense, and actually earns the kind of offer Dallas would give him...we're just going to let that go, for nothing?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Smart has a decent season, there will be at least one team out there (BKLN, Mavs, PHIL?) that will pay him more than we will be willing to match. We have to pay Kyrie max deal a year later, so there just won't be enough bread to pay Smart what at least one team will offer him. Too bad.

Brooklyn will definitely not have cap space for like the next 3 years. If anything, look for them to take another big contract for a young player/draft asset like they did with DeAngelo Russell.
Dallas would probably not want to pursue Marcus, considering their bargain guards (curry and dennis smith). Likely to pursue a wing or big (nerlens noel).
Philly would rather save their money for Robert Covington.
Brooklyn has like 20 million in cap room if they waive their cap holds (no super valuable players there) and Carroll picks up his player option.  If Carroll opts out that gives them over 32 million. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't understand how anyone can point to the Gary Harris contract as a comp here. It's delusional. Harris is a quality defender who scored 14.9 points a game, shot 50% from the field and was a 42% 3pt shooter.

Been over this before, but Harris is not a quality defender.  He’s at best average, and more than likely is below average to bad.