Author Topic: Celtics 2020 Draft picks  (Read 56349 times)

Re: Celtics 2020 Draft picks
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2020, 03:19:31 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
There’s a weird situation in this draft... Ainge can get multiple kids from same college  (For chemistry reasons etc). (These players are in position to be drafted around these slots, so they’re not reaches):

he can get 3 players from Kentucky: SG Maxey at 17 , PG Quikley  at 30, C Nick Richards or PG Ashton Hagans at 46 Ainge was seen at the Kentucky vs. michigan state champions classic game. Kentucky was ranked 8th and was 25-6

Ainge could also get 3 players from Arizona: SG josh green at 17 and PF/C Nnaji at 30. Nnaji is compared to pj brown. If Arizona PG Mannion slides to 26, that’s 3 potential players from Arizona. Mannion is a redhead Like Scalabrine and compared to Derrick White.  Danny Ainge was seen at the Arizona game in the pac-12 tourney. 

He can get 2-3 players from Duke but 2 require luck: Duke center Vernon Carey (if he slides to 26 from 20), SG Cassius Stanley (if he either slides to 46 from 40, or Ainge trades down from 30), and PG Tre Jones (If he slides to 46 from 42). A trade down from 30 to 40ish is possible because Stanley is One of a couple SG prospect in that range. Ainge was seen at the Duke vs. Kansas champions classic game. Duke was ranked 11 (8th in coaches poll) and was 25-6

Ainge can get 2 players from Washington: Jaden McDaniels at 26 and Isaiah Stewart at 30 (Washington SF/PF and PF/C)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:33:32 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2020, 05:14:48 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
#14, #26, #30, #47!

« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2020, 05:19:10 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
#14, #26, #30, #47!
The draft lotto is this upcoming Thursday. We’ll see if we keep 14 or it rolls to next year.

« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2020, 05:26:35 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
#14, #26, #30, #47!
The draft lotto is this upcoming Thursday. We’ll see if we keep 14 or it rolls to next year.

Yes, 2.4% chance

« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2020, 06:08:45 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
There’s a weird situation in this draft... Ainge can get multiple kids from same college  (For chemistry reasons etc). (These players are in position to be drafted around these slots, so they’re not reaches):

he can get 3 players from Kentucky: SG Maxey at 17 , PG Quikley  at 30, C Nick Richards or PG Ashton Hagans at 46 Ainge was seen at the Kentucky vs. michigan state champions classic game. Kentucky was ranked 8th and was 25-6

Ainge could also get 3 players from Arizona: SG josh green at 17 and PF/C Nnaji at 30. Nnaji is compared to pj brown. If Arizona PG Mannion slides to 26, that’s 3 potential players from Arizona. Mannion is a redhead Like Scalabrine and compared to Derrick White.  Danny Ainge was seen at the Arizona game in the pac-12 tourney. 

He can get 2-3 players from Duke but 2 require luck: Duke center Vernon Carey (if he slides to 26 from 20), SG Cassius Stanley (if he either slides to 46 from 40, or Ainge trades down from 30), and PG Tre Jones (If he slides to 46 from 42). A trade down from 30 to 40ish is possible because Stanley is One of a couple SG prospect in that range. Ainge was seen at the Duke vs. Kansas champions classic game. Duke was ranked 11 (8th in coaches poll) and was 25-6

Ainge can get 2 players from Washington: Jaden McDaniels at 26 and Isaiah Stewart at 30 (Washington SF/PF and PF/C)

2 bad not two from Florida, P. Williams and Devin Vassell hehehe.  Vassell would knock Romeo off the depth chart though...possibly.  Probably have to trade one of them.

« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2020, 11:09:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I could see us offering Romeo or Grant to move up in draft.

« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2020, 11:14:54 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Or Timelord, especially if our target is Wiseman.

« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2020, 06:03:06 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Would make a lot of sense.

We have picks 14*, 26, 30 and Langford, Grant, Edwards from last year's draft.
That's just too many roster spots.
Trading up is a logical plan.

Maybe 14 + 26 + Grant + Edwards = pick 8-10 range

« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2020, 10:10:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Or Timelord, especially if our target is Wiseman.

Timelord won't be traded based on current performance.  Too valuable. Probably better fit for this team than Wiseman too.

« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I'm starting to look more closely at Saddiq Bey, who should be available at 14.  Think Brad and Danny would love him.

6'8" , 7' wingspan, defends well, can guard multiple positions (1-4), very unselfish, very efficient scorer, really good 3 point shooter. 

He could come right in next year off the bench at either forward spot and give us really good minutes.

Good analysis here from Forbes re Bey fit with Celtics:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/04/17/why-the-celtics-need-to-target-saddiq-bey-in-2020-nba-draft/#4e318b1f3d81

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 12:18:25 PM by footey »

« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2020, 11:07:52 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
We have too many players if we keep all 3 picks so I’m thinking Danny will draft at least 2 stash players from overseas
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2020, 04:20:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
We have too many players if we keep all 3 picks so I’m thinking Danny will draft at least 2 stash players from overseas

Agreed.  I think Danny will at least try to either trade a couple of these picks or do a draft-and-stash.  The problem with stashing is that the player has to be willing to be stashed.  And with a pick as high as the 14th, most talent worthy of that high of a pick is likely going to want to start his NBA deal right away.  So to get someone agreeable to stash you might have to reach.

In an ideal world, the MEM pick ends up protected (only a 2.4% chance, but we can hope!) and won't convey until next year.  Then Danny would only need to trade or stash one or both the later picks.  The second round pick isn't guaranteed a contract so has little leverage and will generally agree to a stash.  So in an ideal world, we would only be using the #30 pick this year.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2020, 08:46:03 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm starting to look more closely at Saddiq Bey, who should be available at 14.  Think Brad and Danny would love him.

6'8" , 7' wingspan, defends well, can guard multiple positions (1-4), very unselfish, very efficient scorer, really good 3 point shooter. 

He could come right in next year off the bench at either forward spot and give us really good minutes.

Good analysis here from Forbes re Bey fit with Celtics:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/04/17/why-the-celtics-need-to-target-saddiq-bey-in-2020-nba-draft/#4e318b1f3d81

I agree with this. You can never have enough versatile 3-D wings in the modern NBA.

I think Bey will be one of the guys taken in the second half of the first round and people say about him in 5 years, "Why wasn't he taken top 10?"

« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2020, 08:49:38 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I agree that its logical. But it depends on if teams are playing hardball with Ainge to try to extort more value because they think he feels like he needs to consolidate. It's pretty clear that he has a specific value in mind for each pick/player. He doesn't give up more value than its worth just to clean up their roster or consolidate picks. If a team is willing to pay a fair price for those picks/players, Ainge might play ball.

I could see him drafting every pick if teams are being difficult, just like he did in the Yabu and Zizic draft a few years ago.

« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2020, 10:58:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I agree that its logical. But it depends on if teams are playing hardball with Ainge to try to extort more value because they think he feels like he needs to consolidate. It's pretty clear that he has a specific value in mind for each pick/player. He doesn't give up more value than its worth just to clean up their roster or consolidate picks. If a team is willing to pay a fair price for those picks/players, Ainge might play ball.

I could see him drafting every pick if teams are being difficult, just like he did in the Yabu and Zizic draft a few years ago.

Agree, Its also hard to see to many teams wanting to take on 4 young players in a trade down.

I suspect the Cs end up staying at #14 and as it was pointing out by @dangercart on twitter they should/could look to use #26 or #30 in a trade to move Poriers contract and pick up an additional 2nd round pick. The Cs are going to have to play cap and roster space gymnastics.

my prediction

#14 Maxey (effectively takes Wannamakers roster spot)

trade #26 and Porier to Grizz for #40

#30 draft Tillman or Nnaji (takes Poriers roster spot)

#40 Bane, Stanley, Mayes, Azubuike (takes Greens roster spot)

#47 draft and stash or a player willing to take a 2-way (other wise needs to take Semi spot, still may have to for cap purposes)

A few other players I really like who fit

Achiuwa at #14 high bust risk but could also thrive in Theis's role. If Cs go Precious at 14 then I suspect the later first is a guard rather then a big. Terry, Bolmaro, and Maledon could all be really nice fits. If that is the route they take then I would also look at Quickley in the 2nd round with time to develop he could be a steal as a shooting PG.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet