Author Topic: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall  (Read 19423 times)

Re: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2023, 02:02:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
I certainly didn't check the math, article said official games, so perhaps there are some international games leading into a tournament that counts
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2023, 02:16:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Saw a stat that Lebron is 2004 points away from Oscar Schmidt's all time international record of 49,737 points, Lebron apparently has 47,734 points.

Honestly, that one seems meaningless to me.  Different levels of competition, different number of games, etc.  It would sort of be like somebody adding up Kareem's college and high school numbers and saying that he's still ahead of Lebron somehow.

Lebron:  38,652 NBA points + 0 college points = 38,652 points

Kareem: 38,387 NBA points + 2,325 college points = 40,712 points!  And that doesn't include his stats on UCLA's freshman team, on which he averaged 33 ppg!

* Not a serious argument

Agreed. Once we start including play in games and all star games and fiba it gets pretty preposterous. Lebron got the all time scoring record and should be applauded for the incredible accomplishment. This thread can also be retired at least for 20 years.

« Reply #182 on: November 28, 2023, 09:43:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Rather than start a new thread, I saw Lebron after last night has now played more combined (reg and post) minutes than Kareem and is the all time leader.  It was also the worst loss of his career and the first time in 13 years he hasn't had a rebound in a game.  Interesting night for Lebron.

« Reply #183 on: November 28, 2023, 03:30:10 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2534
Rather than start a new thread, I saw Lebron after last night has now played more combined (reg and post) minutes than Kareem and is the all time leader.  It was also the worst loss of his career and the first time in 13 years he hasn't had a rebound in a game.  Interesting night for Lebron.

Has the player who will break Lebron's records started his career yet? Born yet?   Silly questions I know - but if you had to put money on a young player who seems to have what it takes, who would that be?  Wemby probably comes to mind - so talented and so young - but that height has not been a harbinger of good things to come when it comes to lengthy NBA careers.  I think it would take 15 more 25+ for JT to be looking at approaching the all-time mark for JT (though I didn't actually do the math).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

« Reply #184 on: November 28, 2023, 03:58:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Has the player who will break Lebron's records started his career yet? Born yet?   Silly questions I know - but if you had to put money on a young player who seems to have what it takes, who would that be?  Wemby probably comes to mind - so talented and so young - but that height has not been a harbinger of good things to come when it comes to lengthy NBA careers.  I think it would take 15 more 25+ for JT to be looking at approaching the all-time mark for JT (though I didn't actually do the math).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
I honestly don't think anyone is going to catch any of the leaders in the top 5 categories (and that is Hakeem's blocks, not the true leader of Wilt with Bill not far behind, but both way ahead of Hakeem).  They just don't play enough games and they make so much money it just isn't worth playing long enough except for the special few (like Lebron, Vince, Paul).  It would take someone like Booker or Doncic, but a Booker or Doncic that can stay on the floor 75+ games.  Enter the league early, score a ton of points, but actually stay healthy.  I just don't see it happening.  the big 5 recods are basically untouchable at this point. 

« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2023, 04:48:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

This is really a question of health and longevity which is impossible to predict. Durant put up big scoring numbers his whole career and is averaging almost 31 this year at age 35 but he missed too much time throughout his career.

Tatum has the size and skill for his game to age well but will he be able to stay healthy enough to get into Lebron's range?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008