Author Topic: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall  (Read 19424 times)

Re: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2023, 11:02:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is a good quote.

Gordon Edes
@GordonEdes
·
32s
From Kareem, on LeBron breaking his record: “It’s as if I won a billion dollars in a lottery and 39 years later someone won two billion dollars. How would I feel? Grateful that I won and happy that the next person also won. His winning in no way affects my winning.”

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2023, 11:20:19 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
This is a good quote.

Gordon Edes
@GordonEdes
·
32s
From Kareem, on LeBron breaking his record: “It’s as if I won a billion dollars in a lottery and 39 years later someone won two billion dollars. How would I feel? Grateful that I won and happy that the next person also won. His winning in no way affects my winning.”
Kareem really has become a great ambassador for the sport and life in general.  Not sure you could have predicted that with his playing days, especially early on, but he really has become what we hope all players become when they retire.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2023, 11:24:59 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
This is a good quote.

Gordon Edes
@GordonEdes
·
32s
Kareem really has become a great ambassador for the sport and life in general.  Not sure you could have predicted that with his playing days, especially early on, but he really has become what we hope all players become when they retire.

Agreed.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2023, 11:40:39 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
This might be one of those unbreakable records, and he will only be adding to it too. He has played for 20 years, straight out of high school, and started day one. During that time, he averaged over 27 ppg, and stayed relatively healthy that whole time. I'm not sure we'll ever see that combination again, which is what it will take to get close to the scoring record.

I agree.  Kareem's record stood almost 40 years.  I could see this one doing the same if not longer although you never know what advances in medicine, physical therapy, etc..... hold down the road for professional athletes.  Or the NBA does something ridiculous and starts adding a 4 point shot or something insane.

It'll be a very uphill battle, though.

Maybe if there's a shift in scoring, if 40ppg becomes the new 30ppg.  While it seems like scoring is way up this year (114ppg league average), it's still below all time highs from the 60's and 70's, and not that far off from the 110 highs of the 80's.   But at the same time, you do have more older players averaging ~30 than in the past (Durant age 34, Curry age 34, LeBron age 38, Lillard age 32), so continued high scoring in your 30's could be a thing that helps some future great approach the record.

Even another freak of nature, like Giannis, just to catch where LeBron is now, if he plays till he's 40, and averages 70 games a year, would have to put up 25.6 ppg over the next 12 years just to catch LeBron's current total.  Never mind the minimum 2-3 more years LeBron has left to add to his total.  I could see Giannis passing Malone, approaching Kareem, but that's only if his body holds up like LeBron's (a huge assumption).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2023, 11:44:51 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm looking forward to when LeBron retires. He's physically gifted, for sure, but he's also the most coddled player in NBA history, and the biggest whiner in NBA history. He can't be done soon enough for me.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2023, 11:46:57 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2967
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2023, 11:50:02 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Watch out guys, he could be next!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1623186127791304704

If the league created a 100 point shot just for him, he still wouldn't catch LeBron.

« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2023, 11:56:42 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
One other thing that makes this record even more amazing, is the fact that LeBron is worth a billion dollars, and never lost his hunger to compete and still maintains an elite level statistically (30 ppg. 8.5 r, 7 a).

« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2023, 11:57:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25626
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Watch out guys, he could be next!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1623186127791304704

If the league created a 100 point shot just for him, he still wouldn't catch LeBron.

If the NBA gave him 35,000 points if he made an open dunk in the 4th quarter of a playoff game, I'd have my doubts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2023, 12:03:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
One other thing that makes this record even more amazing, is the fact that LeBron is worth a billion dollars, and never lost his hunger to compete and still maintains an elite level statistically (30 ppg. 8.5 r, 7 a).

The "staying hungry despite being incredibly rich" thing doesn't necessarily surprise me.  At the top levels of any sport, I think that there is a hyper-competitiveness that surpasses money.  For those players, I think that retirement is usually about their body breaking down.  If they could, most of them would play forever without getting bored. 

What makes Lebron remarkable is that his body hasn't really broken down much at all.  Whether he's been genetically blessed, pharmaceutically engineered, or both, it's still an amazing feat.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2023, 12:27:56 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1445

The "staying hungry despite being incredibly rich" thing doesn't necessarily surprise me.  At the top levels of any sport, I think that there is a hyper-competitiveness that surpasses money.  For those players, I think that retirement is usually about their body breaking down.  If they could, most of them would play forever without getting bored. 

What makes Lebron remarkable is that his body hasn't really broken down much at all.  Whether he's been genetically blessed, pharmaceutically engineered, or both, it's still an amazing feat.

Also sleeps in a hyperbaric chamber. Seems like a lot more athletes are doing this now. Novak Djokovic had been using them for years.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1083870099482832901?s=20&t=XJoBexsKPLNN3p91aTXQ0Q
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2023, 12:39:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
This might be one of those unbreakable records, and he will only be adding to it too. He has played for 20 years, straight out of high school, and started day one. During that time, he averaged over 27 ppg, and stayed relatively healthy that whole time. I'm not sure we'll ever see that combination again, which is what it will take to get close to the scoring record.

I agree.  Kareem's record stood almost 40 years.  I could see this one doing the same if not longer although you never know what advances in medicine, physical therapy, etc..... hold down the road for professional athletes.  Or the NBA does something ridiculous and starts adding a 4 point shot or something insane.

It'll be a very uphill battle, though.

Maybe if there's a shift in scoring, if 40ppg becomes the new 30ppg.  While it seems like scoring is way up this year (114ppg league average), it's still below all time highs from the 60's and 70's, and not that far off from the 110 highs of the 80's.   But at the same time, you do have more older players averaging ~30 than in the past (Durant age 34, Curry age 34, LeBron age 38, Lillard age 32), so continued high scoring in your 30's could be a thing that helps some future great approach the record.

Even another freak of nature, like Giannis, just to catch where LeBron is now, if he plays till he's 40, and averages 70 games a year, would have to put up 25.6 ppg over the next 12 years just to catch LeBron's current total.  Never mind the minimum 2-3 more years LeBron has left to add to his total.  I could see Giannis passing Malone, approaching Kareem, but that's only if his body holds up like LeBron's (a huge assumption).
Even if 40 becomes the new 30, are the guys going to start playing every day again?  I mean Giannis hasn't missed single digit games since the 2017-18 season.  Luka has missed less than 10 games 1 time in his career and he is on pace for more than 10 again this year. 

Lebron didn't play games like Kareem, Malone, Jordan, etc. but it has only been the last 5 years when he really started racking up the DNP's.  Prior to 2019, the only season in his career in which he missed more than 10 games was 2015. 

Lebron has played 1410 games.  Kareem played 1560.  By the end of the year Lebron will likely be around 1440 games, so nearly 2 seasons less games than Kareem. 

As a comparison, Luka has played 311 games of a possible 366 or 84.97%.  Over 82 games that is just shy of 70 games a year and another 23 this year.  So that would put him at 334 at the end of year or 1076 shy of were Lebron currently is.  If he ends up missing the same percentage of games, he won't even hit Lebron's games for another 15.37 years.  That assumes there are no work stoppages and Luka doesn't suffer major injuries.  He would also need to just about maintain his current 27.4 ppg for the entirety of that time.  And that is just to hit where Lebron currently is.  Lebron has at least another full season of time ahead of him, if not 2 or 3 more. 

Even if this scoring uptick continues, I just don't see how anyone is going to get to Lebron in my lifetime.  He is going to have such a massive lead on everyone else, I just don't see it happening.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2023, 01:41:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Also sleeps in a hyperbaric chamber. Seems like a lot more athletes are doing this now. Novak Djokovic had been using them for years.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1083870099482832901?s=20&t=XJoBexsKPLNN3p91aTXQ0Q

Yeah, stuff like this is why I don't want to say the record will never be broken.  Maybe 50 years from now, medicine and technology will have advanced to the point where it's normal for guys to have 25 to 30 year careers.  Father Time is undefeated, but guys like Lebron and Brady have at least showed that it's possible to survive a few extra rounds.

« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2023, 02:53:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Yeah, stuff like this is why I don't want to say the record will never be broken.  Maybe 50 years from now, medicine and technology will have advanced to the point where it's normal for guys to have 25 to 30 year careers.  Father Time is undefeated, but guys like Lebron and Brady have at least showed that it's possible to survive a few extra rounds.
Yep. Guys are playing longer and longer. Just look at Dirk. He's #6 on the all time list right now despite never averaging 27 ppg in a season. He only averaged 26 ppg twice. But he played 21 seasons.

In the history of the NBA only 5 guys have played 1500 games and 2 of them (Dirk and Vince Carter) retired in the last 4 years. Lebron seems likely to enter that club too.

As more careers are able to go longer, we'll see more challengers to this record.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2023, 04:26:42 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2967
  • On To Banner 18!
Surprise Surprise! Lebron out again tonight

He got the scoring record and basically peaced out for this season knowing the Lakers aren’t going anywhere  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller