Author Topic: And this is why junk food is bad...  (Read 7202 times)

And this is why junk food is bad...
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:04:58 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

Re: And this is why junk food is bad...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:54:56 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Have you seen the one about how Chicken Nuggets are concocted AKA 'pink goop'. Stuff like this makes me wonder if the FDA are bought and sold like every government agency. I bet majority of the population have no idea where their food come from or how its made.  A great beginners documentary about the food we eat is "Food, Inc" It should be mandatory watch for every American.

which is mechanically separated chicken, though you couldn't have proved it to us. It looks more like Floam or some other trendy kid's toy. Nope, that there is prime chicken nugget material.

So how does that disgusting pink thing turn into the tasty dinner your kids crave? If seeing that pink thing wasn't bad enough, the pink goop is crawling with bacteria. Yes, bacteria, so it'll need to be soaked in ammonia to take care of that little problem. However, the ammonia bath creates another problem - a nasty taste. No worries, they just flavor it with artificial chicken flavor. The chicken nugget isn't done yet, folks, there's just one more tasty touch to be added! The chicken is dyed white so that once again it resembles chicken. Yummy.

http://gizmodo.com/5659271/behind-the-chicken-goop-the-truth-and-science-of-chicken-nuggets

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978574778

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:11:43 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Stuff like this makes me wonder if the FDA are bought and sold like every government agency.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

A great beginners documentary about the food we eat is "Food, Inc" It should be mandatory watch for every American.

TP. "Food Inc." is a good documentary....at times it makes you go..."Gross...does that really happen"

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:16:06 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

That looks like a snake that has been skinned...or a snake after a chemical peel...lol....gross.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 08:12:40 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
yeah, food inc is pretty eye opening stuff....makes you really hate monsanto as well.

michael pollan also writes some good books as well, such as The Omnivore's Dilemma.

thanks for the thread and the icky chicken paste pix. yuck.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 09:18:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25617
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Have you seen the one about how Chicken Nuggets are concocted AKA 'pink goop'. Stuff like this makes me wonder if the FDA are bought and sold like every government agency. I bet majority of the population have no idea where their food come from or how its made.  A great beginners documentary about the food we eat is "Food, Inc" It should be mandatory watch for every American.

which is mechanically separated chicken, though you couldn't have proved it to us. It looks more like Floam or some other trendy kid's toy. Nope, that there is prime chicken nugget material.

So how does that disgusting pink thing turn into the tasty dinner your kids crave? If seeing that pink thing wasn't bad enough, the pink goop is crawling with bacteria. Yes, bacteria, so it'll need to be soaked in ammonia to take care of that little problem. However, the ammonia bath creates another problem - a nasty taste. No worries, they just flavor it with artificial chicken flavor. The chicken nugget isn't done yet, folks, there's just one more tasty touch to be added! The chicken is dyed white so that once again it resembles chicken. Yummy.

http://gizmodo.com/5659271/behind-the-chicken-goop-the-truth-and-science-of-chicken-nuggets

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978574778

Wow.  I don't usually eat nuggets, anyway, but never again.  That's nasty.

EDIT:  After reading the gizmodo article, it's not *that* bad, but still gross.  I'm skeptical of the ammonia thing, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Frankly, I prefer not to know this stuff.  I think its well publicized that fast food is bad for you, and will probably shorten your lifespan if you eat it too often.  That is really all I need to know.  As long as its not going to make me sick (other than clogging my arteries), I am fine with not knowing the details about it, since I avoid eating it whenever possible anyways. 

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 09:29:38 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
On a side note, the new xxl Chalupa is excellent!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 09:31:05 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
This nuggets thing is gross... I still can't understand how they are able to turn it into good looking food when you see the original pink "thing".

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 10:33:50 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
There shouldn't be a reason for anyone to eat processed food at all. There are plenty of healthy options out there, where you can actually see what the ingredients looked like.

And there is no need to watch film or read books for this.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 10:35:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
There shouldn't be a reason for anyone to eat processed food at all. There are plenty of healthy options out there, where you can actually see what the ingredients looked like.

Well, the problem is of course that generally healthier options are more expensive, or less convenient.  Until there are drive thru's that have healthy food on a 99 cent menu, these places are going to continue to thrive in todays culture.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:42:28 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Not that that looks appealing to me, but sausage has been around for probably close to 1000 years and it's at least as disgusting as that when it's being made.  I don't think the FDA regulates foods based on whether they look gross during production.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 10:42:56 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Well, the problem is of course that generally healthier options are more expensive, or less convenient.  Until there are drive thru's that have healthy food on a 99 cent menu, these places are going to continue to thrive in todays culture.
Or until people realize that if you can buy it for $.99, it's probably not really food.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 11:15:47 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Strange, Chicken Nuggets still taste good to me.

I also feel you guys are being somewhat picky and choosy, here. You telling me your hamburgers and porkchops look that much better in production?

I can think of several reasons not to eat McDonald's (at least on a consistent basis) other than what their food looks like at production.

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
and what about all the pesticides on fruits and veggies, and the genetically grown veggies.  Unless you are eating 100% natural farm fresh veggies and farm slaughtered animals, your prob getting some bad stuff
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16