Author Topic: 2 week prep for a 5k  (Read 5633 times)

2 week prep for a 5k
« on: September 20, 2009, 01:47:22 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
ok all,

I signed up for a 5k in two weeks.  I can walk it if needed, but I'd prefer to run.  I play basketball about an hour twice a week, and occasionally kick around the soccer ball with my team.  Any advice on how to get ready (I did used to distance run in hs, but its been a long time) - I can easily go 30 minutes, but not at a good pace, if that helps
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: 2 week prep for a 5k
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Very important in distance running is cardio, (especially if you haven't done it for a while), and that can be done in many ways, including stationary bike and jump rope. But I've found the most effective way to prep for a sport or event, is DOING that sport ... if you're planning to run a 5K, then prep for it with a 5K, (or work up to it over a few days with shorter distances) ... that way, your system is not shocked or unprepared in any way, and it's just "another day at the office". Prepping with other activities will work well for the cardio, but the only way to REALLY prepare yourself for something specific, is DOING it.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 03:26:18 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
you can't do much in 2 weeks unless you are already in somewhat of a shape.
I'd go with everyday 1 and a half hour traning:
10 min warm up
5 min stretching
10-2-10-2-10 (10 minutes running a high pace about 160-170 heart beats in a minute, 2 min walk)
5 min rest
10 min running ( about 130 heart beats per minute)
good luck anyway  ;)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
10 min warm up
5 min stretching
10-2-10-2-10 (10 minutes running a high pace about 160-170 heart beats in a minute, 2 min walk)
5 min rest
good luck anyway  ;)

is it ok to change paces like that? I'd be worried about shin splints...

but I'm in ok shape, I play about an hour of bball at a time twice a week, but its more sprints than sustained running...tomorrow I'm going to attempt 20-25 minutes, sort of like Bahku put out there - my goal is 5k in 25 minutes, I think it's realistic

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:22:33 AM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
10 min warm up
5 min stretching
5 min rest
good luck anyway  ;)

is it ok to change paces like that? I'd be worried about shin splints...

but I'm in ok shape, I play about an hour of bball at a time twice a week, but its more sprints than sustained running...tomorrow I'm going to attempt 20-25 minutes, sort of like Bahku put out there - my goal is 5k in 25 minutes, I think it's realistic

I get the impression you are somewhat physically fit, so that is a good start. It is important not to throw your body into it full force. You should ease into it. You say your goal is 25 minutes, which is about 8:30 mile. Definitely attainable but work your way there. Dont try for a 9 minute mile tomorrow... youll just tire your body out and cramp up right away.

Streth a bunch, especially because your body isnt used to long distance running. Stretch before and after you run. Also, make sure your sneakers are right for you. I got some bad shin splints because I didnt stretch enough and my sneakers were to worn out. Lastly, be familiar with route the 5k is on. Maybe drive a car around the route. You dont want to end up running 3 miles uphill or downhill if you havent trained that way.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:13:45 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Cardio is a good idea, especially since you're already in shape and you don't truly have enough time to build muscle.  Somewhere around 2 hours a day if you have the time, but it should be at least be 1 hour.  Keep a relatively high heart beat for your size/age.  You don't actually need to record it, but you should be able to tell if you're going too easy on yourself.  Remember, no pain no gain.

As Bahku said, actually running is a good idea, but you can mix it in with other workouts.  My advice would be, instead of sticking to a walk/run routine, just run until you can't run any more.  Then walk for as short as possible.

Probably the best way to do it is to build up gradually the first couple days.  Then practice running 7-10k at a time (depending on how dedicated you are).  Try to pace yourself so that you don't have to actually slow down to a walk.  I don't mean jog it, but don't sprint from the beginning and then die out.  Also make sure right before your 2 weeks are up, you actually run a couple 5ks so you know how to pace yourself correctly (it should seem like a breeze compared to a 10k).  And don't forget to take it a little easy the day before.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:18:41 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Last summer I decided to start running to get myself back in shape.  I was 24, used to box (at 155), and played basketball often.  But I dated a girl and had a stretch of weddings and drinking and such over the summer that got me up to 183, the heaviest of my life.  So I thought I'd start running.  I had never done long distance running before.  I was a little surprised to see that I only made 1.6 miles my first run.  I set a goal of being able to get up to 5K and having that be my normal run.  So I ran about 3 times a week and would add a block or 2 onto every run.  I made myself 2 promises:  I would improve every single run by either adding distance to my run or shaving off time and that I would NEVER quit in the middle of a run.  It took me about 3-4 weeks to get up to 5K.  So if you try doing what I did, but run say 5 times per week, you might get up there.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 04:13:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Since you have about a week left you should go light today, hard tomorrow, light wednesday, hard thursday, and light friday.

The light runs should be around 30 minutes at a slow pace (if you want to run an 8 minute mile pace for the race a 9-10 minute mile would work well here).

The Tuesday hard run should be about 45 minutes of running at a respectable pace (again if you are at 8 for race day, I'd suggest the first 15 minutes at 10, the next 20 minutes at 9, and the last 10 minutes at 10).  The Thursday hard run should be more sprinting and jogging.  Warmup 15 minutes with a 10 minute cool down (10 minute mile pace).  In between run hard 2 minutes and then jog 2 minutes about 5 times.  On race day you should stretch and do a very light warmup of 10-15 minutes and at the end you should cool down at least 10 minutes.  If you are too tired to do a light jog at least walk and stretching should help.

You can adjust all the speeds if you are going to run faster or slower doing the 5k.  If you play basketball this week, I'd shoot for Tuesday and Thursday and you may need to supplement the workout depending on your level of intensity playing ball.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 05:38:45 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
well my goal changed to 30 minutes after training and realizing sustaining an 8 minute pace is really hard.  The first week of training was a wash b/c of getting sick and figuring running while sick will just push me back further - I started training last Friday with a 10 minute run.  Saturday saw 20 minutes, Sunday 25, Monday Basketball.  Then Tuesday I tried to run 2.5 miles straight (I'd been doing 10 on 5 off, etc.) - and my body couldn't do it - I started pushing the panic button - but then I figured having so much time on in a row could be the problem.  So Friday I did 30 minutes at a decent pace with no stopping (about 11 minute miles) and today I was able to finish with under 10 min miles at 29 minutes or so.  I think I may try to keep up the distance running and do another one soon.  Thanks and TPS to all who helped!

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 05:45:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
For anyone interested in preparing for a road race, I have found the schedules/calendars at cool running to be helpful: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/index.shtml

CDIF, these won't help you much since your race is one week away, but I can offer you the following tip on avoiding shin splints: before and after each run, tap each foot about 30 times.  Sound silly, but I used to have terrible shin splint problems until someone told me this trick.  Never had them since...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 09:47:07 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
did the race happen.....if so, how did u do cdif?