Author Topic: Official 2015-16 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (21-59, 3rd slot as of 4/12)  (Read 572805 times)

Re: The official 2015-2016 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #900 on: November 22, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Nets are truly a very, very bad basketball team.  Was at the game last night and, while they did miss some bunnies, there was no way that team could compete with the Celtics. 

what a difference two days make.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #901 on: November 22, 2015, 08:38:07 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
The Nets are truly a very, very bad basketball team.  Was at the game last night and, while they did miss some bunnies, there was no way that team could compete with the Celtics. 

what a difference two days make.

Still are terrible but Jae was a no show, there's the game.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #902 on: November 22, 2015, 09:10:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Well, it looks pretty clear that Brooklyn will not challenge Philly for worst team. However, I think Brooklyn and LAL are neck and neck for the second worst team. The other teams that are around them record-wise, i.e. Sacramento, New Orleans, Portland, all figure to stay ahead of them or play better once healthy.

« Reply #903 on: November 22, 2015, 09:41:41 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
They had a very hot shooting night.

We shot well against them in the first of these two games but the key difference is that our high FG% in game one resulted from easy transition bucks off turnovers (layups and open threes).
Tonight they just hit a lot of 10-20 feet jumpshots.
Lopez was Lopez and keeping him to 23 points 10 rebounds and 50% shooting is the gameplan vs  Nets- make their role players beat you, which they did.

Jarret Jack 67% FG
Bargani 67% FG
Hollis Jefferson 67% FG

combining for 43 points.

Pair that on top of Lopez and Johnson's 50% FG nights with combined 40 points at home and the Nets will have a shot to win.
We had plenty of opportunities to take the lead but couldn't convert and they kept hitting tough jumpshots.

They still suck, but this one hurts considering how far they were in the hole.
Working that hard to get it back to 4 points and then not capitalizing is disappointing.

I dunno what Stevens was doing leaving Amir and Crowder out that long but I guess he thought their heads weren't in the game.
He had to choose between Crowder's defense and more transition baskets vs Evan Turner's ability to get his own shot at the rim and drive/kick.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #904 on: November 22, 2015, 09:46:17 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Joe Johnson's plus/minus of plus-22 was twice as high as the nearest player in that category.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #905 on: November 22, 2015, 10:51:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Well, it looks pretty clear that Brooklyn will not challenge Philly for worst team. However, I think Brooklyn and LAL are neck and neck for the second worst team. The other teams that are around them record-wise, i.e. Sacramento, New Orleans, Portland, all figure to stay ahead of them or play better once healthy.

I don't think the Lakers can put a single lineup on the floor that doesn't stink.  I think the Nets and Pelicans are more similar -- if their starting lineup, healthy, is what decides games for them, they'll win a good number of games.  If they deal with injuries and other teams expose their putrid benches, they'll lose a lot of games.

Right now I'd predict both of those teams to finish with 25-30 wins.  If Davis or Lopez get injured and miss a bunch of games, that's who you could see those teams challenge for a bottom 5 record.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #906 on: November 22, 2015, 11:00:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

I don't think the Lakers can put a single lineup on the floor that doesn't stink.  I think the Nets and Pelicans are more similar -- if their starting lineup, healthy, is what decides games for them, they'll win a good number of games.  If they deal with injuries and other teams expose their putrid benches, they'll lose a lot of games.

Right now I'd predict both of those teams to finish with 25-30 wins.  If Davis or Lopez get injured and miss a bunch of games, that's who you could see those teams challenge for a bottom 5 record.

I think the only advantage that Brooklyn might have on New Orleans is playing in the East, though that looks like much less of an advantage this year. New Orleans' supporting cast is MUCH better than Brooklyn's cast, and AD is MVP-caliber type talent. I think that alone puts them in another category than Brooklyn. New Orleabs has just been plagued with so many injuries so far that they're underperforming. I think it ends up Philly, LA, Brooklyn, Portland/Minnesota/Sacramento with New Orleans being a mid to late lottery team.

« Reply #907 on: November 22, 2015, 11:21:01 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

I think the only advantage that Brooklyn might have on New Orleans is playing in the East, though that looks like much less of an advantage this year. New Orleans' supporting cast is MUCH better than Brooklyn's cast, and AD is MVP-caliber type talent. I think that alone puts them in another category than Brooklyn. New Orleabs has just been plagued with so many injuries so far that they're underperforming. I think it ends up Philly, LA, Brooklyn, Portland/Minnesota/Sacramento with New Orleans being a mid to late lottery team.

The Pelicans have finally gotten most of their starting 5 back this week.
Vs the Suns tonight they started Holiday, Gordon,Gee, Davis, Asik and won a close one at home.
Davis helped with 30 points and 19 rebounds but the supporting cast was finally there- particularly Asik in the paint on D.

Anyway my point is that they're going to finish with at least 10 more wins than Brooklyn IMO.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #908 on: November 22, 2015, 11:36:02 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Do the Nets even have a Anthony Davis on their team?

« Reply #909 on: November 22, 2015, 11:42:26 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
BKN's next 12 games:

@ OKC
@ Cavs
Pistons
Suns
@ NYK
Warriors
Rockets
76ers
Clippers
Magic
Heat
@ Pacers

They ought to lose 9 of those games, putting them at 6-20. That's on pace for ~18 wins one-third of the way through the season; I'm fine with 20, or even low 20s, given early strength of schedule. A 30 win projection is very aggressive. Convenient to fit a narrative sold all preseason ... that's about it.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #910 on: November 23, 2015, 01:38:40 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's early in the season.  I don't know what's going to happen.  Hopefully Brooklyn stays down in the dumps ...  They lost a couple tight ones recently.  They haven't looked as bad as their record implies.  There's like 70 games left in the season and they only have 4 less wins than the team that would be picking 18th right now.   I'm hoping for the best, but not counting chickens.  Boston was 15 games under .500 last year and managed to make the playoffs.  As much as people pump up their chests and declare otherwise, we don't know whether or not Brooklyn will land us a top 5 pick this year.

I thought both New york teams would be way better than people expected.  Knicks have a better record than the Celtics right now.  Brooklyn has looked bad.  It's early.  We'll have to wait and see on both.

« Reply #911 on: November 23, 2015, 03:42:10 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Yeah well the Knicks have hope. The Nets not so much, it will start to wear on the Nets that they don't have a future until 2020.

Especially if they struggle for the next 4 weeks it will get harder and harder to compete every night.

« Reply #912 on: November 23, 2015, 04:22:13 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah well the Knicks have hope. The Nets not so much, it will start to wear on the Nets that they don't have a future until 2020.
Regardless of how you feel about this season, it's not actually true that they have no future.  Cap skyrockets to 100 mil over the next couple years and Johnson falls off the books... They can sign some capable players to put around Lopez.

They might suck.  They might not suck.  There's no incentive for them to be bad so I figure they will not hesitate to pay for rotation players.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:29:42 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #913 on: November 23, 2015, 04:47:40 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

If someone can name 5 teams that are worse than the Nets then you're a liar.
It's simple as that. They are going to catch fire occasionally. They might beat some good teams when the teams are on the 2nd leg of a back to back.
Their records reflects EXACTLY how bad they are.
Jarrett Jack sucks- he had a good game against us with 67% shooting.
Barngani sucks- he shot 67%
Rondae HJ is a nice prospect, but he shot 67% from the field and hit 5 of 6 free throws as a 47A% free throw shooter.

Their record says they should win 21% of their games. They look like a team that should win roughly 1 in every 4 or 5 games.
Their advanced stats say they are a bottom 3 defensive team and bottom 8 offensive team.
They have literally the thinnest bench in the NBA, quite possibly the worst starting point guard in the NBA and the worst first big off the bench in Barngani.

Again, name 5 teams, or even 4 teams, that when fully healthy, are worse than the Nets this year. You can't.

« Reply #914 on: November 25, 2015, 09:59:40 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I'll just say thank goodness Durant is playing tonight and leave at that. Brooklyn were doing that garbage were they just hang around and the other team can't pull away by more than 5.