Poll

Is the NBA Lottery Rigged?

No. Stop worrying about this.
30 (85.7%)
Yes. And Silver won't let the Celtics get another top selection.
2 (5.7%)
Yes. And Silver hates the 76'ers so we don't have to worry.
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: October 24, 2018, 04:18:43 PM

Author Topic: A horrible thought about our SAC pick.  (Read 10655 times)

Re: A horrible thought about our SAC pick.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 02:34:55 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good thing the lottery isn't rigged, then.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
You know how I know that the NBA lottery isn't rigged?

The last time that the Knicks won it was in 1985. The NBA would love nothing more than the Knicks to be a winner, financially speaking. It's the largest NBA market and one of the worst teams -- the most potential swing. Imagine how much extra revenue they'd get if their largest market had a good team?

Maybe I should start worrying that all the top players are wings instead of worrying that we wont get the pick.

Our wing spot is loaded. Not sure where we'd find the minutes for another natural 3.

There's a good chance if the pick is high that we're either trading the pick or trading one of our wings. Agree that we're not adding a 4th top wing to the mix, as much as that'd be a good problem to have.
agreed.  it'd more than likely be offered as a significant trade chip for Davis next offseason. 

not sure of the timing between that and when Kyrie can sign his next contract for the max but I wouldn't be surprised to see Danny coordinate with NO to pick who they want so that they can be shipped out with Brown and possibly Smart/Rozier for salary purposes (Smart's deal helps cover financial ground) right after Kyrie resigns to get Davis if NO sucks this year and he wants out.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 03:12:28 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I mean 2014 was very questionable. Cavs with the #1 pick lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 03:28:24 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Obviously, there have been some eyebrow raising events over the years but it would be nearly impossible to carry out a rigged lottery conspiracy.  There would be way too many people involved in the parts to make it work.  Plus you have a public accounting firm overseeing the events.   Both the NBA and Ernst & Young have way, way, way too much at stake to undergo a rigging of a lottery.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 03:30:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The lottery is run and certified by the accounting firm of Ernst and Young. It occurs behind closed doors with all teams represented watching the entire process. The draft can't get rigged.

As for the Celtics pick, this draft isn't nearly as strong as the last few drafts have been. I could easily see the C's trading their Sac pick and others plus players for a star. Or maybe they package a bunch of picks to get RJ Barrett, have Smart be the bench PG, let Rozier walk and develop Barrett as the back up SG.

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 04:33:14 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It would be sad to lose the pick but not a killer, Tatum straight up was a huge get, we'd also get a first from Philly, not going to be good but it's an add on. IMO any pick is gravy.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 05:03:18 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel

The last time that the Knicks won it was in 1985. The NBA would love nothing more than the Knicks to be a winner, financially speaking. It's the largest NBA market and one of the worst teams -- the most potential swing. Imagine how much extra revenue they'd get if their largest market had a good team?

Maybe I should start worrying that all the top players are wings instead of worrying that we wont get the pick.

Our wing spot is loaded. Not sure where we'd find the minutes for another natural 3.

There's a good chance if the pick is high that we're either trading the pick or trading one of our wings. Agree that we're not adding a 4th top wing to the mix, as much as that'd be a good problem to have.

I'm not sure there's a trade I want to make besides for AD (or a S&T with Terry).

Most Trades would require us to send out salary, and we don't have a player + contract we could send out to get value for a top pick. Really, if we do trade our #2 pick and a player, who are we targeting to get back (if not AD)? Would we ever get value for #2 + Hayward or #2 + Smart? I doubt it.

Maybe if there's a good shooter we could try to come away from this draft with our 2-guard of the future.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 05:09:40 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If Silver is smart, he’d set the Celts up as a dominant team. Leagues thrice on villains, and rival fan bases love to hate the Celts.

Agreed, Celtics are easy to hate as they are such a successful franchise. Problem is, this team is very likeable. Smart, Morris, and possibly Kyrie (for how he handled his ending in Cleveland) are the only guys I can see being disliked by other fans.

This team was put together through a series of shrewd trades and great drafting. I know people like to discredit Ainge for swindling an (in their eyes) incompetent Billy King, but he still had to hit on those picks (and use another pick to get Kyrie).

Will be interesting to see who fans root for if we get Celtics vs Warriors Finals.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 05:24:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm not sure there's a trade I want to make besides for AD (or a S&T with Terry).

Most Trades would require us to send out salary, and we don't have a player + contract we could send out to get value for a top pick. Really, if we do trade our #2 pick and a player, who are we targeting to get back (if not AD)? Would we ever get value for #2 + Hayward or #2 + Smart? I doubt it.

Maybe if there's a good shooter we could try to come away from this draft with our 2-guard of the future.
Isn't Jaylen Brown at age 22 our SG of the future?

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
With the Clippers pick.  Their own pick fell to 4th despite being a bottom 2 team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Isn't Jaylen Brown at age 22 our SG of the future?
You’d suspect so. A long-term project to take Hayward’s spot (cough, Zion) would be the way I’d try and go. Or Barrett if we lose Rozier, as he’s a very strong ball-handler and playmaker.

No bigs I’m really interested in besides Nazreon Reid - Bol looks like he can’t be bothered.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 08:10:47 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Good thing the lottery isn't rigged, then.

Never was and never will be. Even our owner Wyc made sure of that by witnessing the KD sweepstakes and lost. Just the bounce of the balls. How will Silver rig the thing anyway with every team having representatives in that tiny room..

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 06:57:42 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Zion is not exactly a typical wing player but yeah, it might be until Charles Bassey when we see the first big come off the board. There's currently no PG's that look like a top 10 pick either. There's some good potential though and I wouldn't necessarily punt on this draft pick. Reddish, Barrett, Little, Zion, Langford and Sekou could all turn out to be all-stars. It's like complaining about having to pick from Adriana Lima, Megan Fox or Miranda Kerr when you really want a hot blonde.

It’s not like Marcus Morris is long for this team, and Smart or Rozier are easily tradeable as well.  If we drafted a wing that player could easily take up some of those minutes to start his career.

Longer term Hayward will be 30 in a couple years, and it’s not a guarantee he will be here long term.  Even if he is continue to start 3 wings, with one of them bring off the bench as a 6th man.   You could even have lineups with all 4 in at the same time.