Author Topic: Should Kobe's #24 be retired league wide?  (Read 10399 times)

Re: Should Kobe's #24 be retired league wide?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 11:17:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Also, he may be "just an entertainer" but as with other celebrities, these people touched lives. Esp soneone like kobe who wasnt only very popular, he waa also well travelled. He inspired and gave hope to a lot of people, kids especially. I am no kobe fan, quite the oppoaite actually. But you cant deny his impact on this world.
Don't get me wrong, never said that Kobe didn't have an impact on people. Many NBA fans/players consider him to be their idol. I believe them when they say it. I just hate the fact that so many people around the world idolise athletes, musicians, actors etc. instead of people that actually mean something for them: their parents, their friends, their girlfriend/boyfriend, their teachers/professors, you name it. To put it another way, I hate the fact that we idolise people that we have never met (and may very well be total jerks) instead of the people that we love and we socialize with in our everyday life.

First of all, No I dont think he should be the logo. With that said, legally he wasnt convicted. He is to be assumed innocent until proven otherwise, not the other way around.
We can't possibly know for sure whether he did it or not. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter though. The player on the NBA logo shouldn't be associated with a rape scandal. It's as simple as that. Caesar’s wife must be above suspicion.

One more point though. If I were Kobe and some woman were falsely accusing me of rape, no way would I have settled the lawsuit out of court. We are not talking about some misdemeanor here. Rape is among the most despicable crimes. If you ask me, it's even worse than murder. I would have done whatever it took to prove my innocence.

Hate to say it, but we are not all equal before the law. Some people are more equal than others. Kobe was an NBA superstar. The accuser was a nobody. Had the case went to court, Kobe would have had the upper hand (unless of course the accuser had hard evidence to support her claims). Kobe chose to buy his way out of the scandal. I didn't respect his decision at the time and I never will in the future.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:51:53 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 12:43:02 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
No, it shouldn't. His death was tragic and way too early, but it's not like he broke the color barrier or something roughly equivalent to that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 03:08:40 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Maybe make teams retire the number for a year but that’s it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think making all teams have a black 24 on the top corner of their jerseys for a season would be very appropriate

Yup.. This should be enough.

And have the logo change to Kobe for the entire All star weekend.

At any rate.. Boston won't be affected by the entire league number 24 retirement thing as the Cs already had it retired.

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2020, 07:11:46 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
The name Kobe should be retired , no parent should name their kid Kobe.

Over reactions all over the place.

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 07:31:09 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Maybe make teams retire the number for a year but that’s it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think making all teams have a black 24 on the top corner of their jerseys for a season would be very appropriate

Yup.. This should be enough.

And have the logo change to Kobe for the entire All star weekend.

At any rate.. Boston won't be affected by the entire league number 24 retirement thing as the Cs already had it retired.

Unretire Sam Jones and re-retire it for Kobe.  Rename the team the Kobetown Kobetics. 

How about a Black Mamba band over the shoulder next to David Stern's black band?

Actually that one's not a bad idea.
Yup

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 08:01:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No I don't think so.

Individual teams can retire whatever number they want of course. I think its somewhat silly that Miami retired 23 for Jordan. Similarly the C's have a lot of retired numbers that are chuckled at around the league.

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2020, 08:27:57 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
...Rape is among the most despicable crimes. If you ask me, it's even worse than murder...

I am not trying to take your post out of context as you had some interesting things to say, but I do need to strongly disagree with your above statement. Ending someone's life on purpose is a million % worse than having sex with somebody against their will. Maybe you are religious or something and believe there is more after this life, but I am not, and once your life is over, you can't get it back. Murder (or death, obviously) is the end.

Anyway, my answer to the thread question is 'no'. Not necessarily because of rape, but because he was a retired basketball player who died. It's terrible and tragic and he did help to make the game more global while also being a mentor/idol to others, but a league wide retiring of his # is an idea that will cool off as the shock begins to wear off. Truly, though, I do feel for all of the victims and their families.

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2020, 08:31:12 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
No.  What makes him more deserving than some of the other greats of the game who have already passed or will eventually pass?  The manner he died?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2020, 08:45:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Kobe wasn't convicted because he settled the case with her and she agreed not to testify.  The big part of the settlement was Kobe's public apology which said in part “Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual ... I now understand how she sincerely feels that she did not consent.”  That is about as much an admission as you will ever get in this type of case.  He eventually paid her off to settle the civil trial as well.  And let's be clear, the facts of the "rape" as alleged by the accuser are pretty difficult to read and do no put Kobe in a good light at all.  He was allegedly very rough with her.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2020, 08:47:32 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I really don't think so. Also, I'm fine with temporarily changing the NBA logo for THIS season to Kobe, but to change it permanently?? Sorry but nope. So what happens if tragedies like this (god forbid) happen to other legends in the future? We going to keep retiring numbers and changing logos? Come on now.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2020, 08:58:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
dramatic overreaction.  it was a tragic accident.  not just for Kobe and his daughter but for all those on that flight as well. 

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2020, 09:48:07 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
No I don't think so.

Individual teams can retire whatever number they want of course. I think its somewhat silly that Miami retired 23 for Jordan. Similarly the C's have a lot of retired numbers that are chuckled at around the league.

The funny thing about Miami retiring Jordan’s 23, is it was done to kiss up to Lebron James.  Who hilariously stayed there for 3 seasons and left, and changed his number back to 23 in Cleveland.
Greg

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2020, 10:44:43 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I have zero interest in seeing either of Kobe's numbers hanging from the Garden. That is an honor for Celtics/Bruins legends exclusively.

If the league feels compelled to honor Kobe, they can do it in some other way. And while I certainly don't want to take away from what Kobe accomplished, let's have a little perspective here, his accomplishments are almost purely athletic. Kobe didn't further any great humanitarian causes, like say, Bill Russell or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2020, 11:06:34 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Here's my opinion, hope everyone understands it:  NO NO NO NO!!!!!

There are other people ahead of Kobe that deserve their numbers being retired in the NBA.  Let's start with Russell and his 11 rings.  How about MJ and his 6 or Kareem and his 6, Duncan and his 5.  What about Larry and Magic, who helped re-establish the NBA. 

I can go on and on, but if NASCAR didn't do Dale Earnhardt, then NO on Kobe as well.  Kobe was a superstar yes, but heck, B/R has him at 14 overall.  I might not go that low, but I'm not much higher.

That's it, I'm out......
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Rename the team the Kobetown Kobetics. 

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised nobody has talked about permanently re-naming their team the "Black Mambas."

I wasn't serious when I wrote that, but now that I write it out, if teams want to do more than a black stripe on the jersey, doing something like wearing Black Mamba jerseys for a game this season (maybe against the Lakers) then auctioning off those limited edition jerseys and donating the proceeds to Kobe's favorite charity would probably a good way to honor him if teams really felt they needed to do something.  Much less permanent, and to me much more sensible, than retiring a jersey of a player who never played for your team.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class