Author Topic: Should Kobe's #24 be retired league wide?  (Read 10530 times)

Should Kobe's #24 be retired league wide?
« on: January 27, 2020, 11:50:18 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1221610980347666433

Wonder how many other teams will follow suit

This seems like too much. It's not like he broke the color barrier for the sport or anything even close to that kind of impact. It's not like he was the greatest player of all time. He didn't die while on the job. He was an icon. And as unique and iconic as Kobe was, the league has had many icons before him and will after him. If Cuban wants to do that for the Mavs, then I have no business in telling him otherwise. I don't think other teams should necessarily follow suit.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:26:49 PM by nickagneta »
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Re: TMZ Report: Kobe Killed in Helicopter Crash
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 12:00:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

This seems like too much. It's not like he broke the color barrier for the sport or anything even close to that kind of impact. It's not like he was the greatest player of all time. He didn't die while on the job. He was an icon. And as unique and iconic as Kobe was, the league has had many icons before him and will after him. If Cuban wants to do that for the Mavs, then I have no business in telling him otherwise. I don't think other teams should necessarily follow suit.
I think the measure should be, "Would you have done this if the person had not died tragically at a young age?"
Yup

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 12:34:48 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I am too melancholy today to post much of anything.  I truly appreciate the posts everyone has put up.  They help all of us to process this shocking news.

That's right you don't.

Please don't minimize Kobe's contributions to this sport and to his iconic nature.  He was a hero to many young kids, black or otherwise.  He is one of the greatest of all time. He was admired by teammates, adversaries and media.  He was a positive public figure outside of basketball as well.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 12:39:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  I can appreciate in that video the joy and happiness that Kobe gets out of the sport of basketball and I can imagine how much joy and fulfillment he gets being able to share that joy and bond over that with his daughter.  As a father of my first daughter just 5 months ago, I myself dream of having those kinds of moments with her.  So I can relate to Kobe in that way and it saddens me that many more of those truly joyful moments which life is all about have been lost for Kobe and Gianna.

Yeah, whatever faults Kobe may have had, it seems universally agreed upon that he was a fantastic father.  I feel terribly that three teenagers died yesterday, and that so many moments were stolen from all involved.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 12:49:45 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I agree

The Heat retired Michael Jordan’s 23. That has always been laugh worthy even with MJ being the goat, and mavs retiring Kobe’s 24 will not Age well either  in my opinion.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I generally don't empathize much for deaths of celebrities.  I probably have never had any meaningful human connection with them and I have no idea what kind of person they are.

There is one part of this tragedy I can empathize with -- that is watching that video which surfaced just a month ago of Kobe and Gianna courtside at the basketball game.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1208552113271382023

I can appreciate in that video the joy and happiness that Kobe gets out of the sport of basketball and I can imagine how much joy and fulfillment he gets being able to share that joy and bond over that with his daughter.  As a father of my first daughter just 5 months ago, I myself dream of having those kinds of moments with her.  So I can relate to Kobe in that way and it saddens me that many more of those truly joyful moments which life is all about have been lost for Kobe and Gianna.

It's just a tragic tale all round.  :(
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 02:30:03 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Kobe Bryant started using helicopters as a player as a way to maintain his body and spend more time with his family:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=rex+chapman+kobe&form=EDGSPH&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&plvar=0&refig=d052a63c27594d849c1e2323b42fbe85&PC=HCTS&sp=-1&pq=rex+chapman+kobe&sc=8-16&qs=n&sk=&cvid=d052a63c27594d849c1e2323b42fbe85

The link includes an interview from Rex Chapman's tiktok account.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 03:22:35 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I am too melancholy today to post much of anything.  I truly appreciate the posts everyone has put up.  They help all of us to process this shocking news.

That's right you don't.

Please don't minimize Kobe's contributions to this sport and to his iconic nature.  He was a hero to many young kids, black or otherwise.  He is one of the greatest of all time. He was admired by teammates, adversaries and media.  He was a positive public figure outside of basketball as well.

There’s nothing wrong with what he said, no need to jump all over him just because you don’t agree

I think a league wide retirement of his number is too much as well, it doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate or want to minimize his accomplishments and contributions.  Roberto Clemente died tragically the same way Kobe did and was just as accomplished as a player and the MLB didn’t retire his number. 
Greg

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 05:19:02 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Never forget that he raped someone

He did possibly rape someone.  You just don't sweep that under the rug because he died.

But discuss it NOW? HERE?

Classless.

I'm Not really sure how I feel about it.   I'd like to hear what other people think before weighing in.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 05:38:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Never forget that he raped someone

He did possibly rape someone.  You just don't sweep that under the rug because he died.

But discuss it NOW? HERE?

Classless.

I'm Not really sure how I feel about it.   I'd like to hear what other people think before weighing in.

Roy has already - aptly - addressed this.

If you want to continue with ME - don't hesitate to PM me instead of making a vain attempt at grandstanding.

I'll be waiting if you choose.

Just be aware - be careful of the rabbit hole you dig - you may not like what you find.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 05:50:37 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Tomorrow night's Clippers v Lakers game has been postponed, and will be made up at a later date.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
PP says the NBA should retire Kobe's number around every arena and change the logo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsO0dWUp97Y

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 07:40:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
PP says the NBA should retire Kobe's number around every arena and change the logo.

It won’t be the first or last time Paul is wrong.

Kobe isn’t even the best player of his era. It sucks that he died at 41, but what happens when Lebron / Larry / Magic / Bill die?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 07:44:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

It won’t be the first or last time Paul is wrong.

Kobe isn’t even the best player of his era. It sucks that he died at 41, but what happens when Lebron / Larry / Magic / Bill die?

Those deaths WILL be tragic, Roy.

But the MANNER in which we've lost Kobe.....the shock of it all..not only Kobe BUT his daughter and the seven others...

That is what - IMO - some here are failing to grasp.

For Kobe, especially - he was JUST beginning the next chapter of his life.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 07:53:45 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229

Pierce will always be my favorite player of all time, but sometimes I think that he shouldn’t be someone whose opinions are broadcasted nationally.

Much respect to Kobe and the Bryant family, but retiring his number across the league just because he died young would be such overkill and a knee jerk reaction.