Author Topic: Free agent update: Murray to Bobcats, McCants to Houston  (Read 6460 times)

Re: Free agent update: Murray to Bobcats, McCants to Houston
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 07:56:21 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
In other free agents news, Udoka has signed for one year with the Blazers... I guess we can kiss the last possible "real" backup wing goodbye. :'(

It's a partially guaranteed contract for the minimum veteran. I guess we could have signed him at this price but it seems that his love for Portland was too strong.

Daniels is a REAL backup wing, just becuase he's taking the ball up the court doesn't mean he's not a 2/3. I think we'll rarely see him on the floor defending PG's.

I know Daniels is a real wing. My problem isn't about him defending the other team's PG but I'm worried that Doc could use him in a "bad way", meaning he wouldn't rest Ray and Paul that much because of the PG's responsabilites given to Marquis.

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 08:29:50 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It's not like they are going to be playing him at SG unless after drafting Gerald Henderson they are now convinced after seeing him play this summer that he is nowhere near ready to be a back up SG in the NBA yet.

My guess is that he will get a fair bit of time at the SG.  Or it could mean Bell is on the block.

called it. per adrian wojnowski: http://twitter.com/yahoosportsnba

I would leap for joy at TA+Scal for Bell, which would be great for Boston, not so much the other side. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Even if we got Raja, I don't think Daniels is a PG. Bring Jackson or Atkins

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 09:44:25 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
It's not like they are going to be playing him at SG unless after drafting Gerald Henderson they are now convinced after seeing him play this summer that he is nowhere near ready to be a back up SG in the NBA yet.

My guess is that he will get a fair bit of time at the SG.  Or it could mean Bell is on the block.

called it. per adrian wojnowski: http://twitter.com/yahoosportsnba

I would leap for joy at TA+Scal for Bell, which would be great for Boston, not so much the other side. 

Well, I would do this trade in heartbeat but you're right, I don't see the interest of Charlotte in this scenario... unfortunately, it probably won't happen.

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »

Offline HomeRunBaker

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
In other free agents news, Udoka has signed for one year with the Blazers... I guess we can kiss the last possible "real" backup wing goodbye. :'(

It's a partially guaranteed contract for the minimum veteran. I guess we could have signed him at this price but it seems that his love for Portland was too strong.

Daniels is a REAL backup wing, just becuase he's taking the ball up the court doesn't mean he's not a 2/3. I think we'll rarely see him on the floor defending PG's.

I know Daniels is a real wing. My problem isn't about him defending the other team's PG but I'm worried that Doc could use him in a "bad way", meaning he wouldn't rest Ray and Paul that much because of the PG's responsabilites given to Marquis.

The second unit backcourt is Marquis and House.  While Marquis will handle the PG responsibilities on the offensive end it will be House who defends the opponents backup PG.  The other wing postion will either be Pierce/Ray Allen or Tony Allen depending on scheduling (back-to-backs, long road trips, etc), foul trouble or game flow.

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 01:48:16 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Hrm Raja would make sense on the Lakers...an upgrade over Vujacic to be sure.  I really hope they don't get him.

I'd say the Spurs would like him, too, but I imagine they've got enough wing depth at this point.  The same can probably be said of Cleveland and Orlando, although I'd take Raja over Anthony Parker or Matt Barnes any day or night of the week.

There are other 'contenders' that might like Raja Bell's services (Denver comes to mind), but they probably wouldn't be willing to spend.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 01:20:27 PM »

Offline HomeRunBaker

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Even if we got Raja, I don't think Daniels is a PG. Bring Jackson or Atkins

Playing primarily on the second unit Daniels is fine in that he would be bringing the ball upcourt against backup 2's since the backup 1 will be chasing Eddie House around screens.  We could also go big with Daniels at the point in a backcourt with Ray Allen that could create severe matchup problems and cause our opponent to shuffle their rotation. If i recall correctly Daniels has two career starts as a pure PG and put up triple-doubles in both of them when he replaced Steve Nash in the lineup back when he was with the Mavs.