Author Topic: NFL 2022 Season  (Read 120461 times)

Re: NFL 2022 Season
« Reply #1590 on: January 30, 2023, 02:26:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Thinking more on that Chiefs/Bengals game, I have a hard time saying the refs decided the game (especially since the debated calls were actually correct, they just missed some the other way).

The Chiefs ultimately had:

more yards
less turnovers
less sacks
better 3rd down efficiency
more 1st downs
less penalties and penalty yards (even before the last ones)
better red zone efficiency
more time of possession
more plays
more yards per play (they even had one less possession)

Basically the only stat the Bengals were better on was rushing yards (they had more yards on less attempts).  Perhaps they should have run the ball more.  And at the end of the day Burrow had the ball in his hand 2 separate times with a tie game in the 4th quarter and just couldn't get it done (that is also true of Mahomes, but he had the 3rd crack at it and succeeded on that one). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1591 on: January 30, 2023, 06:16:59 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
On the Cincinnati punt, with about 40 seconds left in the game, did anyone notice the obvious flop by one of the Bengals players to try and draw a flag for a push in the back. It was soccer/NBA player level of bad acting.

« Reply #1592 on: January 30, 2023, 06:22:29 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
The NFL’s version of game six of the 2002 WCF? I’ve never seen a football game that was so one-sided with reffing. Hopefully the Eagles crush this farce.

You obviously didn't see the Bucs Chiefs Superbowl. Even at halftime, the halftime crew were questioning the referees since the game was being called so one sided in the Bucs favor. To this day, that remains the only Superbowl I shut off and didn't finish. That game was offensively bad because of the refs.

« Reply #1593 on: January 30, 2023, 06:36:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be
The NFL’s version of game six of the 2002 WCF? I’ve never seen a football game that was so one-sided with reffing. Hopefully the Eagles crush this farce.

You obviously didn't see the Bucs Chiefs Superbowl. Even at halftime, the halftime crew were questioning the referees since the game was being called so one sided in the Bucs favor. To this day, that remains the only Superbowl I shut off and didn't finish. That game was offensively bad because of the refs.

Super Bowl XL would like to enter the conversation.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1594 on: January 30, 2023, 06:54:29 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Brock Purdy suffered complete UCL tear, requiring surgery.

Yikes. And he was able to play through it in the 2nd half. What an interesting fella. Guess this may have also confirmed Tom Brady to the 49ers huh.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1595 on: January 30, 2023, 07:14:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Thinking more on that Chiefs/Bengals game, I have a hard time saying the refs decided the game (especially since the debated calls were actually correct, they just missed some the other way).

more yards
less turnovers
less sacks
more 1st downs
more time of possession
more plays

Basically the only stat the Bengals were better on was rushing yards (they had more yards on less attempts).  Perhaps they should have run the ball more.  And at the end of the day Burrow had the ball in his hand 2 separate times with a tie game in the 4th quarter and just couldn't get it done (that is also true of Mahomes, but he had the 3rd crack at it and succeeded on that one).

Kind of helps kc get more plays and yards tho if they are having drives continue when obviously holdings are not being called though. I don’t think anyone is claiming the bengals dominated the chiefs. It was just a good matchup and game that people would want to see the natural outcome happen, not one sided reffing. The game should have gone to overtime and almost certainly would have if they called the hold on the chiefs the final drive.

« Reply #1596 on: January 30, 2023, 07:51:17 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

more yards
less turnovers
less sacks
more 1st downs
more time of possession
more plays

Kind of helps kc get more plays and yards tho if they are having drives continue when obviously holdings are not being called though. I don’t think anyone is claiming the bengals dominated the chiefs. It was just a good matchup and game that people would want to see the natural outcome happen, not one sided reffing. The game should have gone to overtime and almost certainly would have if they called the hold on the chiefs the final drive.

This isn't a shot at you, CC, I just happened to think of this while I was reading your comment ... but I wonder why we even have things like playoffs and title games, given the fact that virtually every game of every season in every sport has questionable or outright-wrong calls. Seems like every winner of every round, including the winner of the title game/series, benefits from some bad calls/noncalls, and thus every team and every fanbase has legitimate gripes at different times. Maybe we should just have a thousand cameras at every game, come up with some software that can determine the correct calls in milliseconds, and thus do away with all the complaining.

I know, of course, why the games are played (entertainment, money), but sometimes I do wonder if all the hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing is really worth it, lol (and I'm including myself in that assessment).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1597 on: January 30, 2023, 11:25:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yikes. And he was able to play through it in the 2nd half. What an interesting fella. Guess this may have also confirmed Tom Brady to the 49ers huh.
They used to have an emergency 3rd QB that had specific rules on when that player could play.  That player was the 46th man on an active 45 man roster.  About 10 years ago or so, they eliminated the emergency QB and instead just gave teams 46 active spots, but of course basically no one uses that 46th spot for a 3rd QB anymore.  Perhaps they should create a 47th spot for an emergency 3rd QB.  That has to be better than playing Purdy with a torn UCL, Johnson with a concussion, or a non-QB like McCaffery in that role.  For a league that says it cares about player safety, the Niners were in a pretty bad spot on Sunday.  It almost certainly wouldn't have changed the outcome of that game, but Purdy wouldn't have had to play under those conditions and that seems like the right thing to do.

« Reply #1598 on: January 31, 2023, 12:30:53 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Considering their starting QB to begin the season was Lance, I’d say No. Niners gave up a tremendous amount of draft capital to get him and it seems unlikely that they’d give up on Trey that quickly. Purdy was a nice story and he’s a solid backup, but Shanahan wouldn’t have convinced the owners to mortgage the farm if he didn’t believe that Lance was the future.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 12:39:40 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1599 on: January 31, 2023, 09:23:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be

Considering their starting QB to begin the season was Lance, I’d say No. Niners gave up a tremendous amount of draft capital to get him and it seems unlikely that they’d give up on Trey that quickly. Purdy was a nice story and he’s a solid backup, but Shanahan wouldn’t have convinced the owners to mortgage the farm if he didn’t believe that Lance was the future.

He might be the future but that team's window is now and they keep coming up a bit short.   They have a bunch of core guys locked up for the next few seasons which is good but their cap situation isn't terribly great and it doesn't look like they'll get any help this coming draft either.  Not sure they can just wait around to let Lance develop with the window they have. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1600 on: January 31, 2023, 11:14:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Baltimore Ravens quarterback Tyler Huntley is heading to the Pro Bowl despite starting just four games in 2022.

Huntley was named as a Pro Bowl replacement for Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen on Tuesday. ...

Huntley’s inclusion into the Pro Bowl sure is odd given his limited playing time and lack of eye-popping stats. But it’s also not a surprise given the way that alternate voting for the Pro Bowl went in December. Huntley was voted the No. 4 alternate for the game despite just making two starts at the time of the voting.

Worst Pro Bowl selection ever?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1601 on: January 31, 2023, 11:16:25 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Baltimore Ravens quarterback Tyler Huntley is heading to the Pro Bowl despite starting just four games in 2022.

Huntley was named as a Pro Bowl replacement for Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen on Tuesday. ...

Huntley’s inclusion into the Pro Bowl sure is odd given his limited playing time and lack of eye-popping stats. But it’s also not a surprise given the way that alternate voting for the Pro Bowl went in December. Huntley was voted the No. 4 alternate for the game despite just making two starts at the time of the voting.

Terrible.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1602 on: January 31, 2023, 12:01:00 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474

He might be the future but that team's window is now and they keep coming up a bit short.   They have a bunch of core guys locked up for the next few seasons which is good but their cap situation isn't terribly great and it doesn't look like they'll get any help this coming draft either.  Not sure they can just wait around to let Lance develop with the window they have.

This will be year 3 for Lance, though. He hasn’t played much due to injury, but he should know the system pretty well at this point. Feel like SF needs to see what they have with him before his contract is up, which will be the season after next. Then you have Purdy who played well going into his second season as an insurance policy. Bringing in Brady for a year or two window, who doesn’t know the system, who had a down year last season, while delaying the development of your two promising young QB’s doesn’t seem like a great gamble. Not saying it won’t happen, but I feel like it’s unlikely. Brady to the Raiders would make more sense.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 12:24:46 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1603 on: January 31, 2023, 01:10:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I mentioned this when he was announced as the 4th alternate despite only starting 2 games at that time.  That made him a real possibility to play since the 2 AFC title game participants almost never participate in the Pro Bowl (the winner clearly never does, but I can't remember the last time the loser of a title game participated).  Only took 2 more people to bow out of the game, which with Lamar being hurt, Herbert having surgery, and Allen being banged up made Huntley an actual pro bowler along with Lawrence and Carr (who was the 5th alternate). 

probably time to just not have the actual game when that sort of thing happens.

« Reply #1604 on: January 31, 2023, 01:25:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I mentioned this when he was announced as the 4th alternate despite only starting 2 games at that time.  That made him a real possibility to play since the 2 AFC title game participants almost never participate in the Pro Bowl (the winner clearly never does, but I can't remember the last time the loser of a title game participated).  Only took 2 more people to bow out of the game, which with Lamar being hurt, Herbert having surgery, and Allen being banged up made Huntley an actual pro bowler along with Lawrence and Carr (who was the 5th alternate). 

probably time to just not have the actual game when that sort of thing happens.

I still don't understand how he got any votes in the first place.  As 4th alternate, that would still put him above 8 or 9 full-time starting QBs in the AFC, right?  Who had Huntley rated that highly after 2 games?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes