Author Topic: NFL 2022 Season  (Read 118608 times)

Re: NFL 2022 Season
« Reply #1605 on: January 31, 2023, 01:48:18 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Brock Purdy suffered complete UCL tear, requiring surgery.

Yikes. And he was able to play through it in the 2nd half. What an interesting fella. Guess this may have also confirmed Tom Brady to the 49ers huh.

Considering their starting QB to begin the season was Lance, I’d say No. Niners gave up a tremendous amount of draft capital to get him and it seems unlikely that they’d give up on Trey that quickly. Purdy was a nice story and he’s a solid backup, but Shanahan wouldn’t have convinced the owners to mortgage the farm if he didn’t believe that Lance was the future.

He might be the future but that team's window is now and they keep coming up a bit short.   They have a bunch of core guys locked up for the next few seasons which is good but their cap situation isn't terribly great and it doesn't look like they'll get any help this coming draft either.  Not sure they can just wait around to let Lance develop with the window they have.

This will be year 3 for Lance, though. He hasn’t played much due to injury, but he should know the system pretty well at this point. Feel like SF needs to see what they have with him before his contract is up, which will be the season after next. Then you have Purdy who played well going into his second season as an insurance policy. Bringing in Brady for a year or two window, who doesn’t know the system, who had a down year last season, while delaying the development of your two promising young QB’s doesn’t seem like a great gamble. Not saying it won’t happen, but I feel like it’s unlikely. Brady to the Raiders would make more sense.

Aaron Rodgers wasn't the full time starter until his 4th season.  If I am the 49ers, and I have a shot at Brady, I bring him in.  Trey Lance can try to beat him out.  Lance is only 22 (he will be 23 by the start of the season).  Rodgers turned 25 in December of the season he became the starter.

« Reply #1606 on: January 31, 2023, 03:15:24 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I apologize if this has already been brought up regarding the Patrick Mahomes sprained ankle. Everytime I sprained my ankle, my foot rolled in, which I assume is the classic case. However, it looked like Mahomes had his ankle possibly roll out? How badly can the ligaments be sprained without the ankle breaking in that case? Has anyone here ever experience a similar ankle sprain?

« Reply #1607 on: January 31, 2023, 04:05:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I apologize if this has already been brought up regarding the Patrick Mahomes sprained ankle. Everytime I sprained my ankle, my foot rolled in, which I assume is the classic case. However, it looked like Mahomes had his ankle possibly roll out? How badly can the ligaments be sprained without the ankle breaking in that case? Has anyone here ever experience a similar ankle sprain?

This goes into some detail about low-ankle sprains and inversion vs. eversion.  Mahomes has a high ankle sprain, which is a different type of injury:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2023/01/22/chiefs-patrick-mahomes-has-a-high-ankle-sprain-heres-what-this-means/amp/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1608 on: January 31, 2023, 04:22:19 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sounds like Sean Payton to Broncos.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1609 on: January 31, 2023, 04:29:28 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
And DeMeco Ryans to the Texans.

« Reply #1610 on: January 31, 2023, 04:30:51 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Sounds like Sean Payton to Broncos.

Have fun with that mess, Sean.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1611 on: January 31, 2023, 04:30:56 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
 :o

Sean Payton will become the Broncos’ next head coach, per @AdamSchefter

Denver will trade a 2023 first-round pick and a 2024 second-rounder to the Saints for Payton and a 2024 third-rounder

« Reply #1612 on: January 31, 2023, 04:41:21 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Denver will trade a 2023 first-round pick and a 2024 second-rounder to the Saints for Payton and a 2024 third-rounder

I don’t understand this from either Payton or the Broncos’ perspectives.

« Reply #1613 on: January 31, 2023, 04:44:31 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2960
  • On To Banner 18!
A 1st AND a 2nd for him? I mean okay then lol. DEN better hope Russell Wilson can bounceback because otherwise I don't see much changing even with Payton in the fold.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1614 on: January 31, 2023, 04:46:01 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don’t understand this from either Payton or the Broncos’ perspectives.

It's not gonna help playing in the same division with KC & LAC, that's for sure.

They really need to pray that he is the Wilson whisperer.

« Reply #1615 on: January 31, 2023, 04:53:13 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

This goes into some detail about low-ankle sprains and inversion vs. eversion.  Mahomes has a high ankle sprain, which is a different type of injury:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2023/01/22/chiefs-patrick-mahomes-has-a-high-ankle-sprain-heres-what-this-means/amp/

Didn't Gordon Hayward had a high ankle sprain that basically sat him out for the rest of the season? Or...basically ankle that turned completely outward

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1616 on: January 31, 2023, 05:35:58 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441

Yikes. And he was able to play through it in the 2nd half. What an interesting fella. Guess this may have also confirmed Tom Brady to the 49ers huh.

Considering their starting QB to begin the season was Lance, I’d say No. Niners gave up a tremendous amount of draft capital to get him and it seems unlikely that they’d give up on Trey that quickly. Purdy was a nice story and he’s a solid backup, but Shanahan wouldn’t have convinced the owners to mortgage the farm if he didn’t believe that Lance was the future.

He might be the future but that team's window is now and they keep coming up a bit short.   They have a bunch of core guys locked up for the next few seasons which is good but their cap situation isn't terribly great and it doesn't look like they'll get any help this coming draft either.  Not sure they can just wait around to let Lance develop with the window they have.

This will be year 3 for Lance, though. He hasn’t played much due to injury, but he should know the system pretty well at this point. Feel like SF needs to see what they have with him before his contract is up, which will be the season after next. Then you have Purdy who played well going into his second season as an insurance policy. Bringing in Brady for a year or two window, who doesn’t know the system, who had a down year last season, while delaying the development of your two promising young QB’s doesn’t seem like a great gamble. Not saying it won’t happen, but I feel like it’s unlikely. Brady to the Raiders would make more sense.

Aaron Rodgers wasn't the full time starter until his 4th season.  If I am the 49ers, and I have a shot at Brady, I bring him in.  Trey Lance can try to beat him out.  Lance is only 22 (he will be 23 by the start of the season).  Rodgers turned 25 in December of the season he became the starter.

Very different scenarios. Rodgers was a backup to Favre who was already on the team. Brett knew the plays and had chemistry with the GB players. Brady would be starting from scratch with all of that in SF. Green Bay also didn’t mortgage their future by drafting Aaron, the Niners did with Lance. San Francisco in the trade up to No. 3 in the 2021 draft sent their 2021, 2022 and 2023 first-round choices, along with a third-round pick in the 2022 draft to the Dolphins. You can’t give all that up and not give him an opportunity in year 3. Brady also wasn’t great this year in Tampa so it makes even less sense to roll the dice on him, while delaying the development of Lance.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 05:46:09 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1617 on: January 31, 2023, 06:46:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Very different scenarios. Rodgers was a backup to Favre who was already on the team. Brett knew the plays and had chemistry with the GB players. Brady would be starting from scratch with all of that in SF. Green Bay also didn’t mortgage their future by drafting Aaron, the Niners did with Lance. San Francisco in the trade up to No. 3 in the 2021 draft sent their 2021, 2022 and 2023 first-round choices, along with a third-round pick in the 2022 draft to the Dolphins. You can’t give all that up and not give him an opportunity in year 3. Brady also wasn’t great this year in Tampa so it makes even less sense to roll the dice on him, while delaying the development of Lance.

Counterpoint:  the 49ers are a current contender.  They’ll choose whatever QB gives them the best shot to win, regardless of past investments.

I’m not saying that’s necessarily Brady.  I think TB is likely headed to Vegas.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1618 on: January 31, 2023, 09:18:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552

Counterpoint:  the 49ers are a current contender.  They’ll choose whatever QB gives them the best shot to win, regardless of past investments.

I’m not saying that’s necessarily Brady.  I think TB is likely headed to Vegas.
Plus, who knows if Lance will even be ready and what he will look like.  I mean he had two major surgeries on that foot. 

I have no idea if Lance is any good, but a team like the Niners can't afford to wait and if they got it wrong with Lance, they should just move on now.  Bring in Brady have Purdy as the back-up and trade Lance. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1619 on: February 01, 2023, 08:26:05 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
WT