Author Topic: Cloverfield - 1:18:08 Thread  (Read 25666 times)

Re: Cloverfield - 1:18:08 Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2008, 07:50:02 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2008, 08:23:25 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Saw it opening night, not great, but entertaining.  The handheld camera definitely got to me.  All in all it was a very cool idea that would have been better in some other medium.  However, the viral marketing did its job, as a film with no recognizable stars is about to set a record for the MLK Jr. weekend (not saying too much, but still). 

At the very least, the special effects were great, and the monster looked realistic.  I liked it, but I don't want to see it again.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2008, 08:26:22 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I heard on one of the message boards that a girl in one of the theaters threw up all over some girl's head below her. So choose your seat wisely when seeing it.

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2008, 09:45:55 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I was kinda like "Uhm.. ok?" and "HmmHmm..." throughout the movie. Won't spoil anything for anyone, but yeah... It wasn't bad, but certainly not that great. A couple real great scenes, though. Some terrible acting in parts, though.

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2008, 09:59:35 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I didn't like it.  If you want to see a movie in a different perspective then I'd go see it, but I'm not recommending it.  People were booing and throwing stuff at the screen at my theatre too.  haha

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Saw this on Saturday afternoon.  It is what is; a monster film.  Nothing more and nothing less.

I thought the effects were pretty amazing.  The scenes with the buildings get destroyed and the military attacks were pretty intense and realistic.  I wasn't overly impressed with the monster once it was revealed but I'm not sure what I expected.  The whole handheld camera thing didn't bother me that much.

The cast, I felt were pretty annoying.  Each of the characters were flawed and irritating in their own respect and I can't say I was too bummed out when certain individuals bought the farm. 

Overall, I'd say an average film.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2008, 05:32:07 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I saw it this weekend also. The local MALCO Theater had copies posted all over the place at the Ticket Line "Cloverfield may cause Motion Sickness" I thought 'Got to see that'

I liked it pretty well. I thought it was kind of like Godzilla comes to NYC and gets filmed by the Blair Witch people. (More intense than either though) The Camera thing, you get used to it or I did. But I'm all about some weird movies though.

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2008, 06:52:52 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I thought the movie was amazing. I am not much of an action movie fan, but this was really well done. It had humor that actually felt realistic in moments where you wouldn't expect it. The tension in the move was great.
We definitely weren't watching the same movie.  Although I did think the line about the flaming homless guy was funny.

I'm not sure what people who booed in the post below expected from the movie. This is clearly a movie that will polarize people, like Moulin Rouge. Some will love it, some will hate it, and the line won't be drawn along critics and the masses (like with, for example, garbage like AVP or the Saw series).

Don't act like people didn't boo in your movie theater too. ;D

NO ONE booed in my theater. Not a single person. Sorry to disappoint.

I'm wondering what parts they booed at. The only part that I found annoying was on the tilted building.

I would agree with the poster who recommended No Country For Old Men. that was great. Juno is also incredible. I am planing on seeing There Will Be Blood Next, as I admire Daniel Day Lewis's movies (In The Name Of The Father, My Left Foot, Last Of The Mohicans).

What is great about Cloverfield is that it is different. It is not a cookie cutter movie conceptually, though the actors are far from captivating (apart from the hot women).

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2008, 11:02:23 PM »

Offline Dickretro

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 2500
I liked it.  It felt realistic to me and the monster was crazy.  This thing will not win the academy award for best pic but if you want to be entertained by a scary monster action for 90 mins, go see the flick.

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2008, 11:40:29 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
people said the movie was so-so until the end....people always tell the end...to me it seems they leave it open for a part 2....

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 12:31:06 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
people said the movie was so-so until the end....people always tell the end...to me it seems they leave it open for a part 2....
I can't imagine a part 2. I didn't think it was open ended at all. The ending didn't provide closure concerning certain aspects of the story, but it did for the aspects central to the story.

I also can't see the marketability of a second hand held camera monster movie.

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 12:56:09 AM »

Offline tallpaul

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
SPOILER ALERT!!

Turns out the "monster" is Roger Clemens - raging after getting an ass-full of bad juice!!! His trainer got the stuff from a disgruntled chemist in Jersey.

Hey - is that really any more silly or preposterous than what passes for a story in the "film"?

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2008, 01:04:58 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
This is kind of cool. Only play it if you've seen the movie.

http://boomp3.com/m/bd034dfca370

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2008, 09:03:33 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The think the potential is there for a possible prequel (notice the Coney Island scene) or another film with the perspective of other people during the same events. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »

Offline Dickretro

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 2500
Nice find MGG!  I guess that answers the question as to weather there will be a sequel.
 I bet based on the success of the first one the budget will be higher for the next which I hope translates into more monster and less camera shake style.