Author Topic: Movies that looked awful...but turned out to be surprisingly good.  (Read 17936 times)

Re: Movies that looked awful...but turned out to be surprisingly good.
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Oh and in light of all the hip-hop fans I submit these 2 jewels from the very early days:

Breakin'
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

C'mon if you're at least 29 there's absolutely no excuse to not know what movie I'm talkin' about here and you KNOW you loved it too when it first came out. Don't even play like you didn't wanna break like Turbo and Ozone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqV6E9Zol24

If nothing else, watch this movie now as an adult. The Unintentional Comedy Rating is through the roof!!!!
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2008, 06:27:28 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Freddy vs. Jason.  This movie had crapfest written all over it.  But they kept it silly, kept it stupid, and made a movie that was a lot of fun.

Dawn of the Dead remake.  I guess I can't say that I thought it looked awful, because the ads were alright.  But knowing the track record of horror movies over the last decade, I was VERY skeptical, to say the least.  They knocked this one out of the park.  The first ten minutes or so are superb.

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2008, 08:44:40 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
A couple more I've just remembered.

Sideways - Comedy/Drama with Paul Giamatti; really like this film, looked bad but was a brilliant film.
Lucky You - Poker film with Eric Bana & Robert Duvall; this didn't get the attention it deserved, not great but doesn't warrant the bad reviews it got.
The Painted Veil - Edward Norton, Naomi Watts; despite having fantastic male & female leads, it looked so boring. Quite the opposite.
Click - Adam Sandler; I normally can't stand Sandler (he's got nothing on Ben Stiller) but this was a good film, funny at the right times and sent out a good message.

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2008, 09:06:07 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Well I remember seeing the ads for The Matrix, and seeing Keanu Reeves star in it and refusing to see it.  Ended up renting it and enjoyed it.

As a wee lad, I thought Braveheart was going to be a cheesy romantic epic.  Turns it it was the war movie that redefined war movies.

Grandma's Boy was going to be awful... but then I saw it and it wasn't anything like I expected, and I laughed until I could barely breathe.

Gotta agree on Braveheart.  I forgot that I originally thought it was going to be a crappy movie about medieval times.  Now it's my favorite movie of all time.

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2008, 09:22:04 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Freddy vs. Jason.  This movie had crapfest written all over it.  But they kept it silly, kept it stupid, and made a movie that was a lot of fun.

Dawn of the Dead remake.  I guess I can't say that I thought it looked awful, because the ads were alright.  But knowing the track record of horror movies over the last decade, I was VERY skeptical, to say the least.  They knocked this one out of the park.  The first ten minutes or so are superb.

TP for Dawn. I wasn't a big horror fan and still aren't but this was a very intelligent movie. Now as it stands I'm a big fan of the zombie genre though not all of them are as good as this one wasy. 28 Days Later is another favorite.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Here are some that I didn't think much of when I decided to watch them and ended up being pleasantly surprised or at least ended up enjoying them:

Knocked Up
Superbad
Ace Ventura
Amélie
Airborne
Payback
You've Got Mail
Kindergarden Cop
Blue Streak
Howard the Duck

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2008, 11:00:54 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

TP for Dawn. I wasn't a big horror fan and still aren't but this was a very intelligent movie. Now as it stands I'm a big fan of the zombie genre though not all of them are as good as this one wasy. 28 Days Later is another favorite.

The Dawn of the Dead remake was well done.  Maybe my favorite opening credits ever done to Johnny Cash's "When the Man Comes Around"...Right up there with Rocky 3 "Eye of the Tiger" for getting me pumped up for a movie.

28 Days Later was another good one, though I liked 28 Weeks Later even more (rare case of enjoying the sequel more - and I did like the first one)

Here's Johnny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDN-tqDgssE
Yup

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2008, 11:23:45 AM »

Offline CountChockula

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
Two words...Pootie Tang!!! Sa-da-tay  ;D

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Two comedies: Undercover Brother which was probably funny only b/c i had such incredibly low expectations

and Walk Hard, which has escalated to one of my favorite comedies ever.

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2008, 12:26:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Two comedies: Undercover Brother which was probably funny only b/c i had such incredibly low expectations

I definitely had no high hopes on Undercover Brother either, and you're right it was pretty funny.

Come to think of it, probably the biggest surprise for me ever was Austin Powers.  Everything I'd seen in the previews seemed incredibly annoying.  I didn't see it until it was on video, but once I started watching it I got what they were shooting for.  Dr. Evil put me over the edge in being sold that Austin Powers was a mild stroke of genius.  Of course they milked it dry, but coming from flatly refusing to see it, to having me in stitches ranks it up there in this category for me.
Yup

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I wasn't sure about Walk the Line.  Dan in real life (or something like that) with Steve Carril was something I couldn't stop watching. I was nervous about No Country for Old Men and Unforgiven.  I wasn't sure about Marty. Singing in the Rain. I didn't expect much from Frankenstein (the 1933 one). I wasn't sure what to expect from Rebel without a Cause. When I was a kid Princess Bride looked dorky till I watched it. The cover of Willy Wonka looked chaotic and intimidating when I was a kid

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2008, 01:24:05 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
Goodburger.

Stuntman.

Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2008, 01:37:39 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Harold and Maude. When I first heard it was about an 80 year old woman and a 20 year old boy, I had my reservations, but it turned out to be one of my favorites.

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2008, 05:43:33 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

28 Days Later was another good one, though I liked 28 Weeks Later even more (rare case of enjoying the sequel more - and I did like the first one)

Talk about a movie with a great opening.  The first ten or so minutes of 28WL are freaking intense.