Author Topic: "The Dark Knight" movie review and discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 31829 times)

Re: "The Dark Knight" movie review and discussion (SPOILERS)
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 08:20:07 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

One way of that happening, I think,would be  having Nygma possibly being a family member of the the African-American gangster Gambol and be black would be a cool contemporary twist with Jamie Foxx as the Riddler.

I also think DiCaprio and Baron Cohen could play the part as well as both have the range of character that portraying the Riddler would require.

My first reaction to Jamie Foxx was "oh no that would be terrible" but the more I think of it, he might be able to.  DiCaprio I don't think could be sinister enough, same with Baron Cohen.

I thought of some more villains might work: 

Clayface (Nolan would probably make him a make-up artist as opposed to a man
with a malleable face)

This one is a stretch but "Sewer King" who I think was only in the animated series.  He lived in the sewers and trained kids to pick pockets and perform petty theft for him.  That could be reworked much darker.

Someone else already said Scarface - that could work, but I'm hesitant.  I think it would be hard to do without the ventriloquist thing being silly.

And I say again- Harley Quinn would be perfect (a joker reincarnation) and Hush could work.

Man... I Think I'm going to have to go see this one again. 

WHY SO SERIOUS?

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 08:24:57 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The Dark Knight was awesome. And like any comic book movie, it ain't gonna be perfect. This maybe my favorite comic hero movie of all time, knocking off Superman. I plan to see it again this weekend.

And for those who criticize it for not living up to the hype. That is your own fault for seeking out to many images, trailers, plot leaks, etc. Just enjoy these films as they come. Don't ruin it for yourself.

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2008, 01:07:28 AM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
a third movie without joker/ledger would be a tragedy....
i'll have to rave about this movie fully later.... but the kid BURIED jack's performance... i didn't think it could be done.....
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2008, 09:56:55 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I don't plan to see it.

any particular reason why? just wondering.

I loved it, great movie in general. due to the lackluster showings of hollywood recently, might be one of my favroite movie of the last 4 or 5 years.

awesome preformance by ledger as the joker, i do agree they pulled a venom on dent though. what is up with that lately? its like directors go "huh, a villan the fans really like, doesn't deserve a whole movie, ill ax that dude quick"

like, i understand the whole moral compass thing and joker bringing down the white knight, but you could have had him disapear, and done another movie that incorparated that last scene. that was my only problem with the movie, in my mind it should ahve ended with a picture of joker in a stright jacket at arkham, and gordon telling batman that they couldn't find dent. then mabey like a guy walking away into the lower parts of gotham flipping a coin.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2008, 10:08:51 AM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18
I don't plan to see it.

I loved it, great movie in general. due to the lackluster showings of hollywood recently, might be one of my favroite movie of the last 4 or 5 years.

awesome preformance by ledger as the joker, i do agree they pulled a venom on dent though. what is up with that lately? its like directors go "huh, a villan the fans really like, doesn't deserve a whole movie, ill ax that dude quick"

like, i understand the whole moral compass thing and joker bringing down the white knight, but you could have had him disapear, and done another movie that incorparated that last scene. that was my only problem with the movie, in my mind it should ahve ended with a picture of joker in a stright jacket at arkham, and gordon telling batman that they couldn't find dent. then mabey like a guy walking away into the lower parts of gotham flipping a coin.

I couldn't disagree more... no offense, but that's a cheesy hollywood way of saying, "Hey!  There's going to be sequel!" 

I love the way it ended... this movie stands on it's own, with complete closure.  With that said -- it's still totally open for a sequel, but that fact wasn't shoved in our faces.  It can stand alone, or be part of something much bigger... that's why Christopher Nolan is a genius.

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2008, 10:16:32 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I don't plan to see it.

I couldn't disagree more... no offense, but that's a cheesy hollywood way of saying, "Hey!  There's going to be sequel!" 

I love the way it ended... this movie stands on it's own, with complete closure.  With that said -- it's still totally open for a sequel, but that fact wasn't shoved in our faces.  It can stand alone, or be part of something much bigger... that's why Christopher Nolan is a genius.

normally i'd agree, but since i doubt there not going to make a third one, what with already owing christan bale the money for it contractualy, there's no downside to admiting there's a sequal.

unless there going to completly restart nolan's whole role, which would make no sense, there will be a third one, and while they could do the even more cheesy "yea, uh...that guy the good guys thought was dead apperntly fooled the paramedics, he's good!" move to get dent back into it, its more likely that ledger's death will impact the third one for lack of villan.

I agree, with nolan saying he wanted a female villan in the third one in numerous interviews before the heath ledger tragedy, that he had his eye on harley quinn, and her quest to free the joker. now, that seems to be unavalable.

I supppose you could still use harley and pair her with ivy, that was actually a good team in the comics when joker was in prision, but it will be tough not to make that feel thelma and louiseish, espically when thats exactly what the comics did with it. not saying nolan can't change thier dynamic, but a big part of that paring was "crazy girls night out crime spree" dynamic.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2008, 10:30:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think a better way of introducing the next villianswould be to leave the ending of TDK just the way it was.

Obviously Ledger was supposed to make at the very least a cameo appearance in the sequel. If Nolan introduces Harley Quinn as the Joker's wife who early in the film visits the Joker at Arkham Asylum and vows revenge against the Bat-Man(BTW I love that they went back to the original naming of him as The Bat-Man. Small thing but I loved it).

As they introduce Edward Nygma elsewhere as a master larceny criminal, Harley uses the Riddler as bait to lure out the Bat-Man for revenge.

That's just one way of looking at it but the Harley Race/Riddler combo, I believe is the most believable for a sequel.

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2008, 10:32:29 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I think a better way of introducing the next villianswould be to leave the ending of TDK just the way it was.

Obviously Ledger was supposed to make at the very least a cameo appearance in the sequel. If Nolan introduces Harley Quinn as the Joker's wife who early in the film visits the Joker at Arkham Asylum and vows revenge against the Bat-Man(BTW I love that they went back to the original naming of him as The Bat-Man. Small thing but I loved it).

As they introduce Edward Nygma elsewhere as a master larceny criminal, Harley uses the Riddler as bait to lure out the Bat-Man for revenge.

That's just one way of looking at it but the Harley Race/Riddler combo, I believe is the most believable for a sequel.

could work, really just substiuting ivy for riddler.

personaly, just because i liked the darker version of her, i'd stick with the harley/ivy combo if they go that route.

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2008, 10:38:53 AM »

Offline BdaBostonBum

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 5

normally i'd agree, but since i doubt there not going to make a third one, what with already owing christan bale the money for it contractualy, there's no downside to admiting there's a sequal.

unless there going to completly restart nolan's whole role, which would make no sense, there will be a third one, and while they could do the even more cheesy "yea, uh...that guy the good guys thought was dead apperntly fooled the paramedics, he's good!" move to get dent back into it, its more likely that ledger's death will impact the third one for lack of villan.

I agree, with nolan saying he wanted a female villan in the third one in numerous interviews before the heath ledger tragedy, that he had his eye on harley quinn, and her quest to free the joker. now, that seems to be unavalable.

I supppose you could still use harley and pair her with ivy, that was actually a good team in the comics when joker was in prision, but it will be tough not to make that feel thelma and louiseish, espically when thats exactly what the comics did with it. not saying nolan can't change thier dynamic, but a big part of that paring was "crazy girls night out crime spree" dynamic.

I haven't kept up with the comics since I was much younger, but I think Harley was an animated series character. Maybe the comics adopted her. Either way, I definitely can see a Harley kind of character, like a copycat Joker. For girl villains it has to be either her, Al Ghul or Catwoman. I think Poison Ivy doesn't really flow with the movies, and it would have to introduce both her and Harley in order to make them team up. Too much for one movie to cover.

For male villains I think the Mad Hatter would be awesome, or a not cheesy Riddler.

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2008, 10:41:28 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I haven't kept up with the comics since I was much younger, but I think Harley was an animated series character. Maybe the comics adopted her. Either way, I definitely can see a Harley kind of character, like a copycat Joker. For girl villains it has to be either her, Al Ghul or Catwoman. I think Poison Ivy doesn't really flow with the movies, and it would have to introduce both her and Harley in order to make them team up. Too much for one movie to cover.

For male villains I think the Mad Hatter would be awesome, or a not cheesy Riddler.

she did start on the animated series as a throw away character, but due to her popularity, she's been added to the batman cannon, and been in alot of big storylines since her debut.

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2008, 12:05:12 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
How would they portray Ivy?

I just can't see how she could fit into the new, more realistic version of batman.

Some kind of chemist maybe?

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2008, 12:11:57 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
How would they portray Ivy?

I just can't see how she could fit into the new, more realistic version of batman.

Some kind of chemist maybe?

that would be my bet, she was a chemist before she became ivy. i think you could do her justice as a dark character that uses posions grown from her knowledge of plant types (she's good at this in the comic, she comes up with some new air/blood borne toxin all the time) and play up the seduction angle she uses instead of the whole "plants are people too!" angle she uses in the comics a bit to much.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:18:51 PM by crownsy »

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't plan to see it.

I can't see them doing Harley Quinn regardless of Ledger's death.  It's cool that she went from being introduced in an animated series to the actual comics, but I just don't think she really matters much.  She's like Robin... not happening.

I really can't see them do Catwoman either.  It's been done to death. 

They said they wanted to do characters that haven't been in movies before and wanted a female involved.  I think Talia Al Ghul is the obvious direction.   They keep saying they conceive the series as a trilogy (and hopefully they end it with a trilogy and not let this series go to crap like most franchises).   Introducing Talia and eventually the "shocking" return of Ra's Al Ghul at the end would be a nice way to tie together the trilogy.   I'd also introduce another character and plot line as well, though... and that could probably be a realistic portrayal of a "riddler" character who sends cryptic ransom notes and bizarre phone calls. 

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2008, 12:59:59 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
remember that there were 3 robins, one of which was KIA. that could be real enough to add in the movies.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2008, 01:11:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
remember that there were 3 robins, one of which was KIA. that could be real enough to add in the movies.
Nah... if they were ever going to use a robin it would HAVE to be Dick Grayson... and they already said that Robin does not fit in the world. 

Also, I seriously doubt they are going to use some obscure characters in this interpretation of TDK.   

The whole Talia/Ra's Al Ghul thing is extremely important in the comics, but hasn't really been explored much in the movies, tv shows or cartoons.  This is partially why people dismiss it, but that dynamic between the three is pretty important to Batman.   Ra's wants Bruce to be the heir to his criminal empire... Talia and Bruce fall in love (in one comic they even get married temporarily and have a son together... although Talia fakes a miscarriage)...    And the Nolan series took the relationship with Ra's Al Ghul even further by basically making him the mentor/enemy to Batman and the one who inspired him to become the symbol and legend.  It just makes too much sense to tie the trilogy together with a return of Ra's.    I'd be perfectly happy with a Joker cameo, additional cameos from other characters (example:  Penguin can be in it, but I'd just have him as a mob boss (no deformities)... basically taking the Falcone/Maroni role in the film) and perhaps another villain such as the Riddler... 

But the 3 act story would make sense to wrap up with Al Ghul returning in some capacity.  And they would NOT need a "lazarus pit" to explain his return.  Last we saw him, he was closing his eyes jedi style as the train was about to explode... but he's a master ninja.  I'm positive he found a way to get out of there.  :)