Author Topic: Do any of you play with prescription glasses in rec league or pick up?  (Read 20053 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I just got my last eye exam and I just hit the -4 mark for my vision in my left eye and I am starting to realize I could use glasses when I play ball.  I can't wear contacts and I think my only recourse is some kind of rec specs / goggles situation.

I feel like a clown wearing the goggles though 

There are also these, but won't they fall off if I drive a lot?  And are there even prescription lenses for this style?

Does anybody have any experience with this?  Will it make people respect my jumpshot more just for wearing them?  Do the goggles fog up if you wear them?  Etc. 

Re: Do any of you play with prescription glasses in rec league or pick up?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'm assuming you mean glasses prescribed by the examiner correct? I have terrible vision. When I played ball for my freshman basketball team, I only used contacts as my glasses would keep falling off, especially whenever I drove, etc. When I get hit hard, my glasses would always fall off. It would be good though, because half the time I would get 'fouled.'  ;D

The only problem is if you tend to sweat a lot, it does fog it up. I recommend if you get prescription glasses, make SURE to try it, AND MAKE SURE. I MEAN MAKE sure to see if it feels comfortable after ten minutes. I mean it. If you have to wait there for 3-4 hours trying different glasses, then do it!

The reasoning behind it is that occasionally in some glasses, the area where the frame is placed to fit snugly on your nose doesn't feel comfortable, and if its too high up, or the elevation is too low the lenses may fog up especially if you work or sweat a lot. This was extremely uncomfortable, and eventually I had to buy new ones or get my other ones replaced. Also whenever I would serve, and I would go back and forth sweating the area around my lenses kept fogging and it was so irritating.

I don't recommend playing with prescription glasses. Either get contacts, Lasik, or find another sport that doesn't require physical activity. If you look at my glasses that I used to have, its so dirty, but it really isn't. All the thin scratches are due to charges, and other fouls I've taken in my freshman year.

By the way my vision is -8. If its past -10, you are technically legally blind.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:05:57 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker

I don't recommend playing with prescription glasses. Either get contacts, Lasik, or find another sport that doesn't require physical activity. If you look at my glasses that I used to have, its so dirty, but it really isn't. All the thin scratches are due to charges, and other fouls I've taken in my freshman year.

Unfortunately, getting contacts and not playing basketball anymore are out of the question.  Especially not playing basketball, I will play until I am 90 and in a wheel chair.  I have two nice pairs of prescription glasses and I don't want to ruin them by playing basketball in them and I'm kind of scared of the lens breaking into my eye after an elbow or something.  There are special glasses you can get but they are all very different from each other and most of the online glasses stores only sell 1 or 2 different frames for that.  I'm just looking for advice before I buy something

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 06:06:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I wore Rec-Specs playing basketball in the early to mid 90s before getting contacts and they were fine.  Don't ever recall having issues.

I'm sure 20 years of so of technological advances have made sports glasses that much better & durable.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 06:09:15 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Unfortunately, getting contacts and not playing basketball anymore are out of the question.  Especially not playing basketball, I will play until I am 90 and in a wheel chair.  I have two nice pairs of prescription glasses and I don't want to ruin them by playing basketball in them and I'm kind of scared of the lens breaking into my eye after an elbow or something.  There are special glasses you can get but they are all very different from each other and most of the online glasses stores only sell 1 or 2 different frames for that.  I'm just looking for advice before I buy something

I remember this store I always went to had specialized frames that were made of hard plastic and some rubber. It was slightly shock absorbent, and the lenses were also made of similar material. Try and see if any stores close to you have plastic framed glasses. Those are the ones I recommend. Buying actual glasses are a big no-no, as they get scratched easily and may break. 
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
You must not be from a generation that has embraced all things "retro"  ;D.

If I were a hipster baller I would wear goggles with no lenses.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I only used contacts during games but would sometimes shoot around in my regular glasses. Always saw the hoop better with glasses for some reason.

Why can't you wear contacts? Would you consider Lasik/PRK surgery?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Oh, man. Rec Specs. That takes me back.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 06:56:04 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
I only used contacts during games but would sometimes shoot around in my regular glasses. Always saw the hoop better with glasses for some reason.

My eyes are too dry and I have horrible allergies.  I can theoretically get a prescription for a drug that makes my eyes tear up more, but I have just never bothered.  Lasik sounds great but isn't it like $10k or something?  I don't really mind wearing glasses.  Also, TPs all around, thanks for the input so far

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
Get PRK. Slow and painful recovery for a week but worth the money and results.

Easy and painless procedure. It changed my life, including when I play basketball.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

My eyes are too dry and I have horrible allergies.  I can theoretically get a prescription for a drug that makes my eyes tear up more, but I have just never bothered.  Lasik sounds great but isn't it like $10k or something?  I don't really mind wearing glasses.  Also, TPs all around, thanks for the input so far

They have all types of contacts and drops, some of which might accommodate you, check with your eye doctor.

Here in NYC, you can get corrective surgery done for somewhere in the $2-3K range (for both eyes). I plan on doing it one of these years, as my eyesight is pretty bad. Besides convenience (and the avoiding bifocals when I get older), the annual costs of contacts/cases/solution and lenses/frames over the years will probably cost me more over my lifetime.

Glasses aren't the end of the world, and I could see myself balling in those rec specs with a headband lol.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I tried the Horrice Grant style once, but they were so thick that my vision was limited.

After a while I got a new pair and used the old ones as my Basketball glasses, never had issues, got hit, they flew off and survived, but they were also rugged.

One thing you can look for is Biking glasses like they were in the Tour DeFrance. They have clear ones that lenses go into, and I've seen them for around 2 to 3 hundred dollars. Im thinking of getting some at some point, you shouldn't fog up and should be pretty durable. 

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Out of all the things to go for the cheaper choice with, I'm not sure corrective eye surgery is the best candidate.

If I were a hipster baller I would wear goggles with no lenses.

That is some next level ish right there.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.