Author Topic: Steven Adams?  (Read 11553 times)

Re: Steven Adams?
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2019, 11:08:26 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The more I think, the more I wonder if this years 1st is enough for the Celtics to take on that contract.

The rumor is the Celtics are trying to decrease the number of possible rookies this year.   This move does the opposite.

You can always flip the first round pick. Trading the 21st pick gets easier if you’re not also trying to throw in a massive contract.

Can you?  Rumor is that the team is already trying to do that with one pick.  A second pick only makes it more difficult.

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
The more I think, the more I wonder if this years 1st is enough for the Celtics to take on that contract.

The rumor is the Celtics are trying to decrease the number of possible rookies this year.   This move does the opposite.

That’s why my proposal is for a future pick.  I understand that’s not what OKC wants to do, and I wouldn’t do it for this year’s pick, because I agree we already have one too many.

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2019, 11:09:39 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

You can always flip the first round pick. Trading the 21st pick gets easier if you’re not also trying to throw in a massive contract.

For what?   And they already have two picks in the range they are trying to flip.   

Not saying they will not do this, but it is a questions.

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

That’s why my proposal is for a future pick.  I understand that’s not what OKC wants to do, and I wouldn’t do it for this year’s pick, because I agree we already have one too many.

I would even see if they want 1 of our firsts this year as well to help out with their depth, and we get 2 picks in the future, or at least an option to pick swap on another first.

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I am still hoping this is the deal we end up with.

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2019, 03:17:10 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Oof, I think the fans would love Adams as a player here, but at that salary... it's really hard to imagine tying up your cap space for a clear role player.

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2019, 03:20:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Oof, I think the fans would love Adams as a player here, but at that salary... it's really hard to imagine tying up your cap space for a clear role player.

I think we could live with it only be two years, right?

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Yes, he plays one year, if we want to use him in a trade the next year he is a good size expiring deal to use in another trade.

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2019, 03:30:07 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

Yes, he plays one year, if we want to use him in a trade the next year he is a good size expiring deal to use in another trade.

Any way you slice it, we're tying up our cap space until at least 2021 to have Steven Adams at center. To move an expiring deal, you still have to take something back... it's not a given that another team will want to take that on.

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
He is the horford replacement with better rebounding and interior defense at the expense of offensive creativity and 3 point range, in a bigger, much younger package.  He is also much more durable over his career(95% games played versus 80%.  Given his age his salary is about right.  We would need a little more outside shooting from the PG/PF depending on which other need we address.  Biggest negative is 55% career FT percentage.

« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2019, 03:35:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Any way you slice it, we're tying up our cap space until at least 2021 to have Steven Adams at center. To move an expiring deal, you still have to take something back... it's not a given that another team will want to take that on.

He's not chopped liver either; probably worth that size a deal for that period of time, factoring his age, productivity, and fulfilling our rebounding and defensive shortfalls.  Gets most of his points off offensive rebounds, which gives more shots to our 3 scorers, JB, JT and GH.

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I would love Adams here as a player but that salary...that's like Al Horford money.  It'd make resigning Rozier almost mandatory and mean no real FA money next offseason. Might be a "better than nothing" move especially if OKC is desperate to lose the salary.

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2019, 03:48:51 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

He's not chopped liver either; probably worth that size a deal for that period of time, factoring his age, productivity, and fulfilling our rebounding and defensive shortfalls.  Gets most of his points off offensive rebounds, which gives more shots to our 3 scorers, JB, JT and GH.

Yeah I hear that- I'd probably enjoy him on the team and maybe it works out. I just think that's a path to mediocrity. Replacing Horford with Steven Adams doesn't make us better, but does tie us down. A 14-9 center who doesn't pass or shoot is still overpaid at $27M, and coupled with 2 years of Hayward we'll be running into decisions on Brown and Tatum before we can improve our roster again.

« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Right, but cap space is largely tied up already.  If all we do this summer is make our draft picks and sign guys to one-year deals, and decline Yabusele’s option for next year, we’ll be around $17 million in cap space for next summer, assuming we don’t extend Brown and merely have his cap hold.  That’s not nothing, but it also doesn’t make us major players in the market.  Sure, we could let Jaylen walk and get up to max space, but that’s not going to help us take a leap forward.

Accordingly, getting someone like Adams who can be used to match for a star player on the trade market next summer or the following trade deadline has value.  Not enough on its own to warrant a trade for him, but if you get the right draft compensation, absolutely.

« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2019, 04:45:26 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

I agree.

I mean id be ok with it and wouldn't hate Danny for doing it, but its not my favourite idea by a long shot.

Aside from the horribly overpriced salary (Capella is practically the same player and making half the money) i also don't like the fact that Adams entire offensive game (95% of FGA) is within 10 feet.

He really doesn't stretch the floor at all,  and doesn't seem to be much of a playmaker uo front either.   

He's pretty much a Defense + Rebounding role player, and $24M is a lot to pay for that kind of player in an NBA age that's all about positionless basketball and stretching the floor.

I dont have an issue with good traditional centers who have no real game outside the paint - even in today's modern league i feel paint protection and rebounding are important enough to justify those guys.  But not for near max contract money.  And not on a roster like the one Boston currently has - this team needs more proven scorers before they can justify a offensively limited role player like Adams.

Tatum and Brown are nice,  but to this day neither has yet shown they can carry a team consistently,  and Hayward is a massive question mark.