Author Topic: What about Devin Booker with the 16th pick?  (Read 11714 times)

Re: What about Devin Booker with the 16th pick?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 10:51:14 PM »

Offline I told you so

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
A name to add to your list of possiblities for the 16th pick: Bobby Portis.  Great build for an NBA power forward at 6-11, 240 and he's got a lot of game, both offensively and defensively.  He should be available right around the time the Celtics pick, and I think he has the talent and the drive to be an excellent NBA player. 

Idea: draft Portis and use our current overweight injury prone starting PF (Sully) as trade bait or to upgrade that 29th first round pick.

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 11:00:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't get this... We have a project in James Young, why waste a pick on pretty much a similar type player. Have they completely given up on Young?

if we took Booker at #16 then I'd be disappointed that we added just another role player to this team. 

really want someone who can play SF or C with that pick.  seem to have plenty of options at guard already.

Booker excelled coming off the bench for Kentucky. Youngest player declaring for the draft.

What if he stayed another year at Kentucky? How much better can he be.

It's a risk

I do agree our immediate need is SF, PF.

Our biggest immediate needs are (in order)
1.)  Scoring
2.)  Rebounding
3.)  Rim Protection

Booker fills our number 1 need, draft him.

Yes if Booker is sitting there at 16, the C's have to consider drafting him. Booker could be that guy that helps improve our 3pt shooting. Our inconsistency from 3pt has killed us through the regular season and the playoffs.

There will be some quality bigs that could be drafted with our 28 and 33 pick. And to get a rim protector, it will most likely have to be addressed in FA.
he may be a shooter, but one that will end up likely coming off the bench for his career.

so tell me how has Klay Thompson been able to start and be one of the best SG in the league?

I'm not automatically stating Booker will be the same player (bc if he was he would be going in the top 5) but they share lots of similarities (good and bad).

Because Klay can get to the rim because he's a solid enough athlete and his build can provide him a strong core to bully smaller players. Klay is physical, even in his rookie year coming in. Also, he can play defense. Im not sure we can say the same with Booker.

Booker may have a tough time finishing around the basket in half court but he is better in transition than Thompson. Even in halfcourt if booker has some trouble finishing around the basket he still can dribble in whichever direction and pull up for a jump shot. Not easy to defend

Booker is a solid defender.  If you want an example watch the DE clip above again.  That is solid defense

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 11:02:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
A name to add to your list of possiblities for the 16th pick: Bobby Portis.  Great build for an NBA power forward at 6-11, 240 and he's got a lot of game, both offensively and defensively.  He should be available right around the time the Celtics pick, and I think he has the talent and the drive to be an excellent NBA player. 

Idea: draft Portis and use our current overweight injury prone starting PF (Sully) as trade bait or to upgrade that 29th first round pick.

no Portis. We have gone over this on the Portis thread. The guy has little lift, average wingspan and narrow shoulders.   he is a very good College player but won't have an easy time against NBA players.  Could be a decent guy off the bench though

I would like to find a gem at 16

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 11:04:09 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
We have James Young.

I tend to wait until kids are old enough to buy a beer before I give up on them.

Too similar.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 11:08:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
We have James Young.

I tend to wait until kids are old enough to buy a beer before I give up on them.

Too similar.

I agree they would kind of play the same role for the Celts. however young is a project with an excellent physical profile , while Booker already has a pretty refined game with good height/weight for a SG but avg wingspan and explosiveness

Young could not make an open 3 at times for the Celts. That is not a good sign when he is suppose to be known for his smooth jump stroke. 

I guess we will have to trust Danny if he does pick Booker at 16 .  Let Booker and Young kill each other and drive up each others game

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 11:26:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
We have James Young.

Too similar.

I agree they would kind of play the same role for the Celts. however young is a project with an excellent physical profile , while Booker already has a pretty refined game with good height/weight for a SG but avg wingspan and explosiveness

Young could not make an open 3 at times for the Celts. That is not a good sign when he is suppose to be known for his smooth jump stroke. 

I guess we will have to trust Danny if he does pick Booker at 16 .  Let Booker and Young kill each other and drive up each others game
Selecting Booker isnt necessarily giving up on Young.

These two guys are so young, they are realy undefined. No one really knows what James Young will become in 2 years. Similarly Booker is 18 years old, so while you can project him all you want, you are drafting him with a lot riding on his ability to greatly improve.

I think you certainly shouldnt be worried about redundancies when you are making picks like these. Young is no sure thing and neither is Booker. However, both could be great pieces.

Booker however, has a much lower ceiling than Young.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 11:38:09 PM »

Offline dwoumn

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
I don't see the redundancy in their games. Just because they are known for their 3pt shot doesn't mean that's their only attribute. James Young is more of a player with a 3pt shot and the potential to be a slasher. Booker is a traditional 3pt shooting guard. He's that guy that you send of screen and he's either going to take the 1st look or take the pull-up. Young is the guy that comes of screen that can either take the 1st look or put it on the ground and attack.

Coach Stevens has talked in depth about improving our 3pt shooting percentages, and these 2 guys could potential be the answer to the C's 3pt woes.

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 11:49:44 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't get this... We have a project in James Young, why waste a pick on pretty much a similar type player. Have they completely given up on Young?

if we took Booker at #16 then I'd be disappointed that we added just another role player to this team. 

really want someone who can play SF or C with that pick.  seem to have plenty of options at guard already.

Booker excelled coming off the bench for Kentucky. Youngest player declaring for the draft.

It's a risk

1.)  Scoring
2.)  Rebounding
3.)  Rim Protection

Yes if Booker is sitting there at 16, the C's have to consider drafting him. Booker could be that guy that helps improve our 3pt shooting. Our inconsistency from 3pt has killed us through the regular season and the playoffs.

There will be some quality bigs that could be drafted with our 28 and 33 pick. And to get a rim protector, it will most likely have to be addressed in FA.
he may be a shooter, but one that will end up likely coming off the bench for his career.

so tell me how has Klay Thompson been able to start and be one of the best SG in the league?

I'm not automatically stating Booker will be the same player (bc if he was he would be going in the top 5) but they share lots of similarities (good and bad).

Because Klay can get to the rim because he's a solid enough athlete and his build can provide him a strong core to bully smaller players. Klay is physical, even in his rookie year coming in. Also, he can play defense. Im not sure we can say the same with Booker.

Booker may have a tough time finishing around the basket in half court but he is better in transition than Thompson. Even in halfcourt if booker has some trouble finishing around the basket he still can dribble in whichever direction and pull up for a jump shot. Not easy to defend

Booker is a solid defender.  If you want an example watch the DE clip above again.  That is solid defense

Thompson was defending Chris Paul and Tony Parker on his second year.

Unless Booker can do that, I can't see the similarities.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 12:06:24 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I like Booker a lot.  Thompson is an optimistic comparison but I don't think it's inconceivable.  Thompson was considered pretty much just a shooter coming out of college and he really improved his defense and off the dribble game in the pros.   I'm not counting on it, but there's no reason Booker can't do that as well.  Even if he doesn't, you know that he'll at the very least be a lights out shooter off the bench and that's a reasonable return for the 16th pick.  I haven't given up on Young, but he hasn't shown enough to prevent us from taking another wing if that's the best player available.  Plus, I think they could play together, they both have good size for wings and both can play off the ball.  If Smart can develop into a viable point guard, Smart/Young/Booker could be a good starting 1/2/3 combination.

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 12:10:52 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

It's a risk

1.)  Scoring
2.)  Rebounding
3.)  Rim Protection

Thompson was defending Chris Paul and Tony Parker on his second year.

Unless Booker can do that, I can't see the similarities.
Well klay was 23 his second year in the league and booker will turn 20 shortly after the beginning of his second nba season.

I mean they have similar skin tones and jump shots which is where the conparison comes from

There's plenty of logic to debunk this comparison (which isn't that bad imo) but that logic is about the worst I can think of. It's the same logic that says take a guy who's projected in the second round at 16.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 01:57:16 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
James Young is physically too small to be a factor right now, and his frame doesn't suggest he's going to become the next Canelo Alvarez of his weight class. I'm not sold on hiim, nor Booker.

What if we focus on pretty high-talent-high character guys, such as D. Green? With our selections where they are at, I would be very happy to look for someone with upside enough to make an immediate impact as we start ratecheting up this rebuild.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 03:25:48 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

no Portis. We have gone over this on the Portis thread. The guy has little lift, average wingspan and narrow shoulders.   he is a very good College player but won't have an easy time against NBA players.  Could be a decent guy off the bench though

That is your opinion not everyones. The narrow shoulders critique is silly his frame has weight already at 240-ish so it shouldn't be a concern. Also he has pretty good lift on some nice highlights. His wingspan and standing reach is more than Zeller's. At PF Portis has good measurables.

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 07:37:38 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I like Booker but if the Cs roster is relatively in tacked and he is the BPA at 16th I would hope the Cs move the pick. I cant see things playing out well having Booker and Young on the same roster. I am all for drafting BPA but I fear that when redundancy occurs both players development suffers. Booker and Young are obviously different players but will fill the same role. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 07:39:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

That is your opinion not everyones. The narrow shoulders critique is silly his frame has weight already at 240-ish so it shouldn't be a concern. Also he has pretty good lift on some nice highlights. His wingspan and standing reach is more than Zeller's. At PF Portis has good measurables.

so how come he got rocked by the Kentucky trees if he is as good as you say he is? 240 pounds or not, he got pushed around pretty easily
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 07:51:13 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2015, 07:39:58 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
James Young is physically too small to be a factor right now, and his frame doesn't suggest he's going to become the next Canelo Alvarez of his weight class. I'm not sold on hiim, nor Booker.

What if we focus on pretty high-talent-high character guys, such as D. Green? With our selections where they are at, I would be very happy to look for someone with upside enough to make an immediate impact as we start ratecheting up this rebuild.

Young is too small? You lost me on this one
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet