Author Topic: Jamal Murray  (Read 7549 times)

Re: Jamal Murray
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 09:49:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I wanted hield
I wanted Hield or Murray because that team needed shooting.

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I wanted hield

I'm happy with Brown and would not trade him for either of them.

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 10:01:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The major things separating Brown and Murray are shots, pace, defense and size.  I still think that Brown is the better overall player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 10:02:01 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
"Loaded college team" That statement right there shows you really don't know what you're talking about. Brown was on a very mediocre team with a bad coach that never played to Brown's strength. They played at one of the slowest pace in college basketball, which makes zero sense for a great athlete like Brown.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 10:21:23 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Murray was trash for 7 out of 8 quarters and then completely unstoppable in the 8th. Jaylen had a brilliant run for us in the last playoffs and while he didn't score much in Game 1 he absolutely shut down the Pacers' best scoring option.

I take Jaylen, but more importantly, do y'all have any idea how absolutely nuts having Jamal Murray on this team would make our fans? Forget about the Kyrie implications, a guy who's godawful 30% of the time, uneven but pretty good 60% of the time, a superstar 10% of the time, and a cocky twerp all the time would have people pulling their hair out. It's like Hayward this year but with a worse demeanor and no injury causing it.

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 10:49:48 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
"Loaded college team" That statement right there shows you really don't know what you're talking about. Brown was on a very mediocre team with a bad coach that never played to Brown's strength. They played at one of the slowest pace in college basketball, which makes zero sense for a great athlete like Brown.

The team had 4 future NBA players starting on it:
Jaylen Brown
Jabari Bird
Jordan Matthews
Ivan Rabb

The entire defense for drafting Brown 3rd overall after a lackluster freshman season was that Cal coach Counzo Martin had no idea how to utilize his players - which by the way was true.  Some of you posters have a very selective memory.

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 10:53:52 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I wanted Hield and was ignorant of Brown and initially displeased, but warmed up to him after his press conference where he said he was 'ready to rip someone's head off' and his first preseason game where he shot like 16 FTs or something.  I'm happy we have him, particularly over Murray, and with Hield being 26, Jaylen over Hield is defensible too as long as Jaylen continues to improve. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:22 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

The team had 4 future NBA players starting on it:
Jaylen Brown
Jabari Bird
Jordan Matthews
Ivan Rabb

The entire defense for drafting Brown 3rd overall after a lackluster freshman season was that Cal coach Counzo Martin had no idea how to utilize his players - which by the way was true.  Some of you posters have a very selective memory.

Matthews isn't playing in the NBA, and Bird isn't getting on any roster, whether or not his domestic abuse case was a huge reason behind that, (which is probably why,) most teams aren't going to take a flier on him, I think we can agree that there was only 2 NBA players. I'm not even sure Bird would've made any team. He seemed to do well occasionally, but very inconsistent, and other than a few great moments in the regular season, and awesome Summer League, would he even be in the NBA?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
As I recall, the draft was such that picks 3-8 were completely up in the air.  So it stands to reason that some players picked later could be better.  But Brown certainly hasn't been a complete bust (not by a long shot).  So it is what it is.  If Hield is better in the long run fine. 

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 11:30:34 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Went 8/9 shooting and 3/3 from 3 point land in the 4th quarter last night.

From Bleacherreport:

"His 21-point fourth-quarter eruption Tuesday produced a shocking 114-105 win over the San Antonio Spurs in Game 2, salvaged a series split and may have saved Denver's postseason."

In 2016 with the 3rd pick overall the Celtics passed on both Murray and Buddy Hield (who averaged 21 ppg this season and has averaged 42% from 3 for his career) for bench player Jaylen Brown.

Both Hield and Murray were elite shooters and the focal point of their college teams.

In college Jaylen Brown struggled to stand out on a team loaded with talent.  People blamed the coach for not being able to make the pieces fit. 

It's interesting to me that all three players seem to be continuing their trajectories from college.  Did Ainge overthink another draft and whiff on the elite prospects?

The OP has some good points. I'm not as high on Brown as some of you. The lack of age thing will only take you so far, he's very inconsistent and still lacks any type of "swag" concerning his game. Don't forget he has played 3 full seasons including playoffs. The stuff about taking us deep into the playoffs last year is suspect because of the weak Eastern conference at that time. 

It's quickly getting to the point that he needs to crap or get off the throne. And I'm sure DA feels the same.

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 11:45:28 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I wanted hield

I'm happy with Brown and would not trade him for either of them.

All of the above sums it up for me. I too wanted Hield or Murray, but am now happy with Brown as the pick..

Murray destroys us when he plays us, seemingly career games almost every time. This colors a lot of folks perceptions of Murray. He hasn’t played us recently, but that perception still lingers with people, making them think the player is more valuable than they really are.

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 11:49:24 AM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
Jamal Murray is an inconsistent chucker who plays no defense.

Where was this thread when he went 8-24 the game before?  ::)

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 12:01:53 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'll take Jaylen Brown for 1000 please Alex. He is a better defender, athlete and has helped take this team to the ECF.

Jamal has one outstanding quarter that has temporarily staved off elimination for DEN.

DEN has little grit.

San Antonio is going to further expose them the next couple of games.

And NO Jokic is NOT better than Anthony Davis, so there.

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
The way the league is going, a team full of elite three point shooters might be the way to go.

Murray: 36.2% from 3 in his career.
Brown: 36.5% from 3 in his career.

People need to relax, Brown was the right pick. Murrays biggest strength right now is being on a team that absolutely needs him to be a big time offensive weapon. he can go 0-8 threw 3 quarters and still be in the closing lineup. Brown doesn't have that luxury.

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 12:35:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Where are all of the Kris Dunn fans?  Half of the blog seemed enraged when he wasn't picked.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes