Author Topic: Jamal Murray  (Read 7494 times)

Jamal Murray
« on: April 17, 2019, 07:57:58 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Went 8/9 shooting and 3/3 from 3 point land in the 4th quarter last night.

From Bleacherreport:

"His 21-point fourth-quarter eruption Tuesday produced a shocking 114-105 win over the San Antonio Spurs in Game 2, salvaged a series split and may have saved Denver's postseason."

In 2016 with the 3rd pick overall the Celtics passed on both Murray and Buddy Hield (who averaged 21 ppg this season and has averaged 42% from 3 for his career) for bench player Jaylen Brown.

Both Hield and Murray were elite shooters and the focal point of their college teams.

In college Jaylen Brown struggled to stand out on a team loaded with talent.  People blamed the coach for not being able to make the pieces fit. 

It's interesting to me that all three players seem to be continuing their trajectories from college.  Did Ainge overthink another draft and whiff on the elite prospects?

Re: Jamal Murray
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Murray would average the same or even less numbers than Brown if he played here. He would be an upgrade over Rozier though.

Let's not forget Brown carried this team deep in the playoffs last year when called upon as the primary point of offense.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 08:16:56 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
You do remember that Jaylen won us multiple playoff series last year right? We went to the ECF when Jaylen was the equivalent of a college sophomore leading the team.

I wouldn’t exactly use Murray’s performance last night as a barometer either. He’s been garbage outside of that quarter.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

From Bleacherreport:

"His 21-point fourth-quarter eruption Tuesday produced a shocking 114-105 win over the San Antonio Spurs in Game 2, salvaged a series split and may have saved Denver's postseason."

In 2016 with the 3rd pick overall the Celtics passed on both Murray and Buddy Hield (who averaged 21 ppg this season and has averaged 42% from 3 for his career) for bench player Jaylen Brown.

Both Hield and Murray were elite shooters and the focal point of their college teams.

In college Jaylen Brown struggled to stand out on a team loaded with talent.  People blamed the coach for not being able to make the pieces fit. 

It's interesting to me that all three players seem to be continuing their trajectories from college.  Did Ainge overthink another draft and whiff on the elite prospects?

No, I don't believe Ainge overthought the draft.  None of those three players project to be franchise building blocks, which means that overall fit matters quite a bit.  Jamal Murray and Buddy Hield would make sense for the majority of teams in the league.  On the flip side, Jaylen has the potential to be an elite defensive stopper and transition scorer.  Those skills can make a huge difference when you are a championship caliber team.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Ainge was a in a no-win situation at the time of the draft. He had the 3rd pick in a two-player draft and various draft sites had each of the next 6 players as serious contenders for the 3rd pick.

Murray and Hield might very well go on to have better careers than Brown (that is certainly yet to be determined); but we should be pretty happy that Ainge didn't choose Bender, Chriss, or Dunn. Dunn hasn't been a total bust like the other 2 (especially would have at #3), though.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I'm fine with the Brown pick. Hield is basically a star and Murray will be one if he ever develops any consistency. But I think Brown has shown enough for it to be at least defensible.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 09:13:47 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The way the league is going, a team full of elite three point shooters might be the way to go.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 09:15:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Brown was a questionable choice at the time of the draft but I've become convinced over the past 3 years he was the right pick.  Hield is just getting it together this year and Murray's been good for a couple of years but the bottom line is neither is close to Brown defensively and Brown's shown the ability to put the offense on his back during last year's playoffs.  if not for an absolute disastrous offensive game by everyone on the C's in game 7 in the ECF last year, he'd be the principal player leading that team to the Finals.  I don't see Hield or Murray being that type of player.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 09:22:56 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Brown was a questionable choice at the time of the draft but I've become convinced over the past 3 years he was the right pick.  Hield is just getting it together this year and Murray's been good for a couple of years but the bottom line is neither is close to Brown defensively and Brown's shown the ability to put the offense on his back during last year's playoffs.  if not for an absolute disastrous offensive game by everyone on the C's in game 7 in the ECF last year, he'd be the principal player leading that team to the Finals.  I don't see Hield or Murray being that type of player.
as i recall, which should make everyone rush to the web to double check what i am about to say, hield, brown, and murray were clustered around the 3rd pick in most people's minds. the big question on brown was his shooting, particularly from 3 point range.

brown has answered that question. all three are now very good players. brown may not bring quite the scoring of the others on a nightly basis, but he does bring a lot bette defense.

i suppose the answer as to which is the best may depend upon what you value in a player.

oh, and on hield, i just checked and he is around 4 years older than brown and murray.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I still the think the whiff from that draft was not trading with the Sixers (assuming the rumored trade was actually on the table). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Murray was 0/8 before he went on his explosive 8/9 shooting.

Malone is a great coach and said, "I knew in my heart he needed to get those minutes. I knew I needed to believe in him."

Beautiful sentiment from one of the greatest coaches in my book, think he's been underrated. Murray is someone I liked, because of his confidence/bravado.

That being said Brown is just as good, if not better ceiling. A dominant two way player that can give any one fits on man to man defense. People get super hyped about Murray's 4th quarter, but Brown and Tatum were the key reason that we got to the ECF last year.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 09:33:07 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Please don't compare Hield and Brown just because they were drafted the same year. There's a four year age difference.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 09:37:08 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

From Bleacherreport:

I can produce posts showing that I wanted Jamaal Murray with the 3rd pick and specifically argued against drafting Jaylen but this post goes way overboard.

The 2 bolded lines reek of a biased perspective .

1. Jaylen would start for over half the teams in the league. How in any way does that make him "bench player Jaylen Brown"?

2. Loaded college team? Who'd he play with Jabari Bird? Jaylen's Cal team was always mediocre, DA drafted him in spite of his college performance because he thought that he could show more on a balanced roster.

Whether or not that has happened is irrelevant, the premise you present is flawed.

-----

As I said I wanted Murray and thought he might be just the guy to take the reigns from Isaiah. But Isaiah isn't here any more. We have Kyrie. Now if Kyrie walks, yes it stings missing out on Murray but if Kyrie stays we still have one of the top under utilized assets in the league in Jaylen Brown.

All it will take is one GM convincing himself that Jaylen can do more than he's shown and flip over some premium assets for the chance to try. I always say keep an eye on Atlanta since I could see Jaylen rising into a star next to Young and Collins and he has significant ties to the area.

If we can flip Jaylen in a beneficial deal he was absolutely worth the selection.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 09:41:40 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I wanted hield

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 09:47:46 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Please don't compare Hield and Brown just because they were drafted the same year. There's a four year age difference.

James young