Author Topic: Los Angeles Clippers - Boston Celtics, analysis second half (70-38)  (Read 4196 times)

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
After the turnaround against the Lakers, we could blame the loss on a hot shooting night. But we saw the same collapse on Saturday night, when we lost a 28-point lead by a 39-point turnaround. The Celtics lost the second half 38-70, after winning the first half, with Irving, 74-53. How could this happen?

I honestly didn't know, so I re-watched the second half play for play and I noted every (big) mistake that I saw, with the hope to find a conclusion. Unfortunately after all this work I haven't found one particular reason that explains this loss, but I did get a lot of information and perhaps more insight into which players we can blame (what we all really like to do  :P ). I wish I could have linked the plays by a video edit.

2nd half stats, PRA (= points/rebounds/assists)

Terry Rozier .......played 18:41, 3-4 (2fga), 0-3 (3fga), 6-2-0 (PRA), 1 TO, 2 PF, -27 (grade: C)         
Brad Wanamaker .played 5:19, 1-1 (2fga), 0-0 (3fga), 2-0-0 (PRA), 1 steal, 1 PF, -5 (grade: B)               
Marcus Smart .....played 14:14, 1-3 (2fga), 0-2 (3fga), 2-2-3 (PRA), 1 block, 1 BA, 2 TO, 1 PF, -23 (grade: D)
Jaylen Brown .....played 11:28, 1-4 (2fga), 0-3 (3fga), 5-1-1 (PRA), 3-4 (fta), 2 PF, -9 (grade: C)       
Jayson Tatum ....played 13:50, 2-4 (2fga), 1-1 (3fga), 10-1-0 (PRA), 3-4 (fta), 3 TO, 4 PF, -21 (grade: C)      
Gordon Hayward played 13:34, 2-3 (2fga), 1-2 (3fga), 7-3-2 (PRA), 1 steal, 1 TO, 3 PF, -18 (grade: A)   
Marcus Morris.....played 16:33, 2-5 (2fga), 0-1 (3fga), 4-2-0 (PRA), 1 BA, 1 PF, -22 (grade: F)         
Al Horford ..........played 16:07, 0-1 (2fga), 0-2 (3fga), 0-2-3 (PRA), 1 TO, -21 (grade: D)    
Daniel Theis .......played 10:14, 1-1 (2fga), 0-0 (3fga), 2-0-0 (PRA), 1 PF, -14 (grade: B)                  

Total team: 13-26 (2fga), 2-14 (3fga), 6-8 (fta), 1 off reb, 9 assists, 8 turnovers, 2 steals, 1 block, 2 BA, 15 PF's

So a good in/outside distribution, but low number of 3fgm. Only 1 offensive rebound, but only gave up 2 as well. Number of assists is low and especially the Ass/To ratio isn't good. And way too many personal fouls, but the refs were blowing a very soft whistle (worked both ways).

Notable mistakes during the 3rd and 4th quarter, in parentheses the player who made the mistake

Key moments 3rd quarter (lost 28-12)

Q3: 8:19, Morris closes out on Beverly gets beat way too easily, no help by Horford, open floater for Beverley (Morris)
Q3: 6:52, Morris doesn't pick up Zubac and leave Beverley for Rozier, but points to Tatum (who guards Temple) to pick up Zubac instead, who comes too late to avoid a dunk (Morris)
Q3: 6:32, Tatum gets the ball from Horford, draws an extra defender, which leaves Morris wide open, but Tatum has his mind on shooting the midrange-jumper, well defended by Beverley and a push with his off-arm is called an offensive foul (Tatum)
Q3: 6:20, Morris is ball watching as Beverley outworks Rozier for the rebound, Gallinari as a result gets wide open for an easy basket (Morris)   
Q3: 5:50, Clippers have just scored on a turnover by Smart, here Smart tries to make up for it, but he rushes the play and turns it over another time (Smart)   
Q3: 5:10, Rozier is in the paint (why? for rebounds?), has a long close out on Temple, who gets the momentum to drive by Rozier, the Clippers pass it well to SGA who buries the corner three (Rozier)   
Q3: 4:52, early in the shot clock, Morris doesn't have a mismatch, but does decide to go iso on Gallinari, takes a tough jumper, which is a bad miss (Morris)
Q3: 4:45, Smart doesn't pick up Beverley immediately, then Theis signals to Smart to pick up Zubac, then Smart sees an opportunity to let Theis pick up Zubac, but big miscommunication leads to free throws, Smart at fault I'd say (Smart)   
Q3: 2:32, Brown passes to Hayward, who gives it immediately back to Brown to take advantage of Harrell, but Brown forces a contested stepback three, which misses, maybe Harrell too athletic to beat one-on-one (Brown)   
Q3: 0:06, Rozier gets the rebound, Theis runs the court and has a mismatch in the post, but Rozier doesn't see it and throws a prayer from deep that misses, even Hayward close by him was a better option (Rozier)   

Key moments 4th quarter (lost 42-26)

Q4: 11:41, Hayward loses Shamet who uses a Harrell screen to get open and he makes the 3-pointer, this is a recurring play by the Clippers (Hayward)
Q4: 9:55, Wanamaker defends Williams with a Harrell screen coming, too late with the close out and fouls Williams, 3 free throws (Wanamaker)
Q4: 8:52, Morris gets the ball with 5 seconds left on the shot clock, isn't able to lose Green, but takes a terrible shot regardless as Horford was open (Morris)
Q4: 8:45, Morris doesn't keep up with JaMychal Green in transition and just gives away a lay-up, nothing Brown or Horford could have done to prevent this (Morris)
Q4: 8:06, Smart defends Williams, makes a pirouette (expecting a pick), but there's no pick and he's too late to front Williams, foul and a 3-point-play (Smart)
Q4: 6:47, For some reason everyone forgets about Shamet, seems like Smart should have guarded him, open corner 3-pointer made (Smart)
Q4: 6:33, Tatum gets the ball and sees Theis wide open at the rim, but twice he throws a terrible pass and the second time it's a turnover (Tatum)
Q4: 5:07, Rozier drives and kicks to Tatum, who has momentum to go by Gallinari, has space to shoot but makes a wrong decision to try to get to the hoop, charge taken by Beverley (Tatum)
Q4: 4:20, Williams shoots from midrange, but misses, then Brown stands ball watching, which gives Beverley the chance to grab an offensive rebound (Brown)
Q4: 3:30, Brown just missed a shot and reacts by pressuring the ball handler, but should have stayed with Shamet, foul on the recovery and a 4-point-play (Brown)
Q4: 2:52, there's a switch, Tatum follows Gallinari but gets stuck on a screen, open 3-point-shot goes down (Tatum)
Q4: 2:09, Smart brings up the ball, sees Gallinari giving him some space and he jacks up a three-pointer early in the shot clock, bad decision and a miss (Smart)
Q4: 2:00, Tatum and Horford defend Williams and Harrell poorly on the pick-and-roll, Horford doesn't coach for a switch, Smart steps in for the charge (doesn't get the call), leads to open 3-pointer by Beverley (Horford)
Q4: 1:42, Hayward gets stripped by Harrell who beats everyone in transition for a dunk (Hayward)

Number of crucial mistakes per player

Morris 6, Smart 5, Tatum 4, Brown 3, Rozier 2, Hayward 2, Wanamaker 1, Horford 1, Theis 0

Team observations (defense)
  • Bad transition defense, where people don't pick up their man or the wrong man
  • The Celtics have a lot of trouble trying to defend the pick-and-roll, no clear strategy or communication
  • Teams switches a lot on defense, but in general they do a good job when the defense is set
  • Team in general does a good job at boxing out and not giving up second chance points
  • Coach Stevens does hold (some) players accountable, substituted Brown and Smart immediately after a big mistake

Individual observations (defense)
  • Rozier and Tatum are a bit lackadaisical guarding their man, having to agressively close out can dismantle the defense
  • Rozier is wild, but shows effort until the very end
  • Tatum and Hayward had trouble chasing Shamet or Gallinari on the court
  • Brown does a better job at guarding players offball and is quick in transition defense
  • Morris gets beat off the dribble way too easy (multiple times in a row)
  • Morris looks disengaged on defense, sometimes he's so late to react that it's hard to notice that it was his man who scored
  • Horford lacks in protecting the rim, doesn't really cover guys who get beat off the dribble and doesn't communicate enough
  • Theis does a great job protecting the rim and in switches
  • Smart had a lot of miscommunications, weird decisions
  • Wanamaker had a steal and wasn't a liability on defense

Team observations (offense)
  • The Celtics in general actually moved the ball well on offense
  • Some good post-ups (like Smart and Brown) and a variety on offense
  • A couple of bad 3-point-shots, but not excessive (just 4, that I'd describe as forced)
  • Only 1 offensive rebound, bigs stay on the perimeter
  • After committing turnovers the team loses patience and starts rushing plays

Individual observations (offense)
  • Only Smart, Hayward and Horford are able to really create for others
  • Hayward could have had a lot of assists and looks for Brown
  • Rozier lacks fundamental court vision, it's not even selfishness, he's afraid to pass inside
  • Morris, Tatum and Brown try to go iso against perceived mismatches (Gallinari, Beverley, Harrell), but fail to execute
  • Brown and Tatum are agressive on offense, and score points one way or another
  • Morris goes in tunnel vision, takes too many contested long two's, tries to outscore opponent (Gallinari)
  • Smart rushes plays after a couple of mistakes or when the team loses momentum to try to make up for it

Main conclusions
  • Not enough communication on defense, especially in transition.
  • No clear strategy on defending the pick-and-roll, Theis does this best.
  • Players close out too agressively, no help when beaten by Horford.
  • Good varied offense, with post-ups and trying to find mismatches.
  • Team (in particular Smart) loses patience when mistakes are made. Forced plays lead to turnovers.
  • Morris was terrible on both ends, no effort and selfish.
  • Some good shots weren't falling for Brown.
  • Rozier and Tatum are good in creating their own shots, but not for others.
  • Wanamaker and Theis played well, deserved more minutes.
  • Hayward played a very good game, by far the best on the Celtics.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:24:08 PM by RodyTur10 »

Re: Los Angeles Clippers - Boston Celtics, analysis second half (70-38)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 07:58:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This is an excellent post.  Thank you for this.

My main takeaways are that Morris is a problem and that apart from him, the younger guys are probably trying a bit too hard to make things happen on offense.

A significant issue as you point out is that Tatum and Rozier are good at creating their own offense but not for others.  Meanwhile the guys who are best at creating offense for others -- Smart, Horford, Hayward -- are not particularly effective at scoring.

That's why Kyrie is so vital -- he's good at creating for himself and for others, and nobody else on the team really fits that bill.

The team misses Baynes, and I agree that Wanamaker and Theis deserve more minutes.

The veterans are the solution, not the problem, with the exception of Morris.  I suspect that Morris is feeling some pressure now that his shooting has cooled down.  He wants to make his $$.

Now that Morris has cooled off and is playing worse, I wonder if the team shouldn't try giving more minutes to Hayward and Brown and reduce Morris's minutes.  Sell it to him as letting him play the 6th man bench role.  He and Rozier can compete for who gets to be the main bench offense.

Hopefully Baynes is back relatively soon.

The best lineup for the team, I think, still is one that features Kyrie, Smart, Tatum, and Horford.  The question is who is the best 5th guy.  I think the answer depends on matchups but is one of Hayward, Baynes, or Brown.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:05:46 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
What happened to the Celts against the Clips was nothing new.

All season long the Celts lived by the 3 and died by the 3.

Celts have no inside presence, a big man who can score inside on a regular basis.

When the 3 ball wasn't falling for the Cs in the 2nd half, they still kept shooting and missing.

Until the Celts get AD, what happened to the Celts against both LA teams will happen again and again.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:42:43 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
You mention Rozier being in the paint to rebound  so he's out of position on defense. This is something that's  bothered me a out his game. He's a gets a lot of rebounds for a guard but i wonder if that's actually a bad thing to. Doesn't that  generally means he's either playing off his man in the perimeter or his man penetrated into the paint and missed a shot at the rim?

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 08:45:10 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Man.  That game REALLY bothered you to put that effort in.  TP.  Excellent analysis.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 08:49:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Shamet.

Looks like Larry Bird’s brother from another mother.

Got the shooting gene too.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:53:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Even though they both got D's in the OP, I think those marks way too high given their play in the second half, Horford and Smart deserved F's.

Morris, Smart and Horford would have helped the Celtics more if they just didn't show up the other night.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:01:37 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Kyrie got hurt, so the team was discombobulated.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 11:01:13 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Shamet.

Looks like Larry Bird’s brother from another mother.

Got the shooting gene too.

This...

He single handedly could not be contained its guys like him that always gives the Cs problem...he is in the mold of Korver, Reddick and klay T...an absolute pure shooter.

guys like him will have a looong career well into their late 30s.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 12:57:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Full analysis is that we played like Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. and the coaching had quite a bit to do with it, aside from the players playing badly.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 01:03:54 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
That post is worth multiple Tommy Points - as much for the fact that you wanted to watch that entire mess again to break it down. Seriously thank you for that.

A couple of my own thoughts - it's amazing the Morris was doing all the complaining after the game when he was one of the biggest culprits.  Maybe it was just frustration boiling over.  He's a pretty emotional/volatile personality so I'm not entirely shocked.

While Smart has improved his 3 pt shooting and has been very good for the most part this season, he HAS slacked off on defense occasionally - during some of the team's worst games.  First time in his career he's done that. 

Great observations regarding Rozier.
Al does have his moments when he takes the night off. Saturday was obviously one of those nights. Stevens was on to something in deciding to rest him some nights and also reduce his minutes- but it would be nice if Kyrie stopped getting hurt because without the 2 of them it's a problem.

Hayward has picked up his consistency - still nowhere close to back but he should be touching the ball more often because he and Kyrie are probably the 2 best passers on the team.  If I were coaching I'd be in Rozier's grill constantly reminding him to get Hayward the ball - if only to get it moving.  And if he doesn't do it, Wanamaker starts getting a bunch of his minutes.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:10:50 AM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 01:26:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That post is worth multiple Tommy Points - as much for the fact that you wanted to watch that entire mess again to break it down. Seriously thank you for that.

A couple of my own thoughts - it's amazing the Morris was doing all the complaining after the game when he was one of the biggest culprits.  Maybe it was just frustration boiling over.  He's a pretty emotional/volatile personality so I'm not entirely shocked.

While Smart has improved his 3 pt shooting and has been very good for the most part this season, he HAS slacked off on defense occasionally - during some of the team's worst games.  First time in his career he's done that. 

Great observations regarding Rozier.
Al does have his moments when he takes the night off. Saturday was obviously one of those nights. Stevens was on to something in deciding to rest him some nights and also reduce his minutes- but it would be nice if Kyrie stopped getting hurt because without the 2 of them it's a problem.

Hayward has picked up his consistency - still nowhere close to back but he should be touching the ball more often because he and Kyrie are probably the 2 best passers on the team.  If I were coaching I'd be in Rozier's grill constantly reminding him to get Hayward the ball - if only to get it moving.  And if he doesn't do it, Wanamaker starts getting a bunch of his minutes.
Agree entirely, especially with the last paragraph. I genuinely think I like how we play when Wanamaker takes Terry's minutes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 02:05:53 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Tp for the effort that went into this.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 03:18:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
TP from here as well.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 03:26:25 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
TP, this is a true fans work.
It dug him, he had to make sure for himself.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."