Author Topic: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard!!!  (Read 69771 times)

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard!!!
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2020, 08:06:11 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
May not work  out of course, but I like that both picks are on the older side.   Pritchard is actually 2 months older than Tatum.   They both arrive more ready than the crop last year and I think the expectation can be that they will contribute something this season.

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2020, 08:47:14 AM »

Offline SlapSlapSlap

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think his ceiling is actually Trae Young (won't get the same volume but can be a more efficient version).  For a guy that keeps getting labeled as "small," he has the exact same physical dimensions as Young (Pritchard is heavier).  All these other names that keep getting thrown out as better PG picks at 26, I just don't buy. 

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2020, 08:48:36 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think his ceiling is actually Trae Young (won't get the same volume but can be a more efficient version).  For a guy that keeps getting labeled as "small," he has the exact same physical dimensions as Young (Pritchard is heavier).  All these other names that keep getting thrown out as better PG picks at 26, I just don't buy.
Young is so much better than Pritchard at so many things. This is nuts!
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »

Offline SlapSlapSlap

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
I don't agree with you.  Young had some of the exact same concerns as Pritchard coming into the NBA.  He was more of a volume shooter coming out of college.  They have the exact same physical dimensions.  Pritchard has incredible handles and the same deep range.  Please understand I said ceiling not floor.  The NBA is always a crapshoot, even though I am incredibly high on him.

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2020, 10:04:09 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I certainly hope Payton will be the second best thing out of West Linn Oregon.

No way he is every 1st best thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI37UHONYY0
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2020, 10:14:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Im glad Ainge drafted sharpshooters

another James Young would kill me

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Young might be one of the best passers of all time right now, I would be incredibly surprised if fast PP ever comes close to reaching that level :o
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2020, 11:22:54 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Young might be one of the best passers of all time right now, I would be incredibly surprised if fast PP ever comes close to reaching that level :o

One of the best passers of all time?

Steve Young: yes

Trae Young: no

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2020, 11:47:47 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Interesting point. Payton Pritchard said that the Cs did not have much contact with him before the draft and that he was surprised they picked him. Maybe he's a C, or maybe they picked him for another team and they will be trading his rights in the coming days.

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2020, 12:13:37 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Welcome Payton... But I am really intrigued about this pick and not in a good way.

First because it's clearly admitting Carsen and Tremont were mistake last year... Even if Tramont showed some good skills. 3 late first-early second in a row to take undersized guards... I don't get it.
I'm interested in others' takes on Carsen vs. Payton.  I was thrilled with the Carsen Edwards pick last year, but hugely underwhelmed with his performance with the Cs.  I think his size is a killer.  I know Payton is listed as 6-2, but I don't buy that, so I fear his size will be equally devastating to his NBA performance.  Hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2020, 12:16:20 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Welcome Payton... But I am really intrigued about this pick and not in a good way.

First because it's clearly admitting Carsen and Tremont were mistake last year... Even if Tramont showed some good skills. 3 late first-early second in a row to take undersized guards... I don't get it.
I'm interested in others' takes on Carsen vs. Payton.  I was thrilled with the Carsen Edwards pick last year, but hugely underwhelmed with his performance with the Cs.  I think his size is a killer.  I know Payton is listed as 6-2, but I don't buy that, so I fear his size will be equally devastating to his NBA performance.  Hope I'm wrong.

Ball handling.  That will allow Payton to thrive...

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2020, 12:17:45 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Interesting point. Payton Pritchard said that the Cs did not have much contact with him before the draft and that he was surprised they picked him. Maybe he's a C, or maybe they picked him for another team and they will be trading his rights in the coming days.
Great point. Kevin O'Connor said there was a team who promised him they'd take him late in the first round. So it's possible.

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2020, 12:20:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Is Tremont signed for next season? Otherwise cant see him brought back. Too small and unsure jump shot

Edwards could not meet the team needs as a C and S or shoot around screens guy.  He couldnt make open 3s. That was a bad sign. And if he cant make open 3s in this league he will be playing in china soon enough

I feel like edwards is a streaky volume shooter. And Celtics wont allow that .... so Edwards cant miss his shots next season.  He has poor pg skills and mediocre ball handling. Defense was also mediocre. The tools are there but he was one step late everytime

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2020, 12:26:26 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538

Is Tremont signed for next season? Otherwise cant see him brought back. Too small and unsure jump shot

Edwards could not meet the team needs as a C and S or shoot around screens guy.  He couldnt make open 3s. That was a bad sign. And if he cant make open 3s in this league he will be playing in china soon enough

I feel like edwards is a streaky volume shooter. And Celtics wont allow that .... so Edwards cant miss his shots next season.  He has poor pg skills and mediocre ball handling. Defense was also mediocre. The tools are there but he was one step late everytime
Being a streaky volume shooter implies that at least occasionally you can make shots.  Edwards only occasions for making shots came in pre season and maybe in Portland.

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2020, 12:30:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Being a streaky volume shooter implies that at least occasionally you can make shots.  Edwards only occasions for making shots came in pre season and maybe in Portland.

Edwards had one good game vs the Cavs. He scored like 18 pts off the bench.

Celts were likely hoping for production like this off the bench.  Not 18 every night. But even like 8 points

He just couldn't hit open threes.  Also he was lost on the D end. 

Brad gave him opportunities. Eventually he couldn't rely on him and was buried far deep into the bench