Author Topic: Trade Idea for Pau  (Read 4446 times)

Re: Trade Idea for Pau
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Funny , seems like alot people on this BLOG would love to have Pau , as would every other NBA team ... except LA ....you read read their blogs , and they bad mouth him and belittle him like he is worthless rookie.   ???

LA fans are so used to having all the best players IN THEIR PRIME  , what they want to throw out is like GOLDEN for the rest of league.

Fortunately for LA, the mgmt is makin gthe decsions and are wiser , they know Pau is still a really good big., and worth a bit of $$$

I would still rather have Josh Smith than Pau , more becasue of age than talent.

I would REALLY hate to see the Capt be traded for anybody , especially to LA .... it hurt to see Ray play on the HEAT,   Pierce on the LAKERS would probally make me stop watching NBA till he retired.

Still think putting a package together for SMITH is the way to go.  Reason is , I think he'd likey help the Celtics made up deal that would work the under the cap.

I'm betting Danny is watching SMith really hard and our assets.   

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Pierce on the Lakers would really kill me.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
As I said on another thread, there is a virus going around this forum called Pau Gasolitis which causes people to inadvertently
come up with trade ideas for Pau Gasol.

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
It would need to be based around Paul Pierce.

The Celtics role players aren't valuable enough to LA to make it worthwhile for them.

Do you think a Pierce/Pau swap (with Bass probably thrown in to match salaries and Ebanks thrown in for 3 depth) would be worth it for Boston?

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Green/Ebanks
KG/Sully
Pau/Wilcox/Collins

Pau gives you about as much scoring as Pierce, plus a big boost to our rebounding and interior D (when KG is off the floor), but we lose one of our best shooters/playmakers.  Wish the Lakers had a decent back-up 3 like Matt Barnes to throw in.

#1 -- SF Depth -- They could sign Pietrus as a free agent. He is still available and there would be minutes available for him now. The trade + Pietrus signing would need to be workable under that $74 million cap we're under. If so, that could give them some depth at three.

#2 -- I don't know. I am going back and forth on it.

On one hand, I really like the idea offensively of KG and Pau. Unlike on the Lakers, Boston (KG) gives Pau enough time and space to go to work on smaller defenders in the post. That would be a nice sight.

On the other hand, I am worried about them defensively though. Pau defending the perimeter and PnRs isn't good (but workable) + I don't trust Jeff Green as the main defensive option against LeBron. And if no Pietrus, Green would not only be the main option against LeBron, he'd be the only defensive option. I really like having Pierce against LeBron.

Then again, if Pau can force Miami to go big, then I think that is a winning lineup against Miami. But the defense will have to hold up well enough for that to happen (or for Spoelstra to make a panic decision which could happen).

I don't know. It's one of those ones where I'd probably change my mind back and forth about it every 20 minutes.

You hit the point here.  This forces Lebron to guard one of KG or Pau.  Does Lebron do it or make Spoelstra play a bigger lineup?  I think a bigger lineup makes Miami much less dangerous offensively.

What if we could get back MWP rather than Ebanks in the deal to start at SF and guard Lebron?  Lakers would have little use for him with Pierce on board.

Pau + MWP for Pierce + Bass + Barbosa

I understand MWP isn't "what he used to be" defensively but Rondo/Bradley/MWP/Pau/KG is a very strong defensive team that would give Miami absolute fits matchup wise.  Still a very strong bench in Terry, Lee, Green, Sullinger, Wilcox.

I think D'Antoni would like to have Barbosa as someone mentioned and this trade isn't allowable until Jan. 15 when Bradley should be back.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work financially. Pau and MWP have 15% trade kickers which have them making a little over $30 mil in tandem.  Not workable with our hard cap.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't like the trade for Pau.  I still like him as a player, but not for all the players listed in the original post.  I would rather have Bass, Green, and Lee than Pau.  I think Green is going to only improve this whole year.  I see Pau on the downhill side of his career.  I think if you pull a big trade like this it needs to be for someone who is younger and will mesh better with the rest of the roster.

I seem to remember that Pau wasn't very happy about being trade fodder last year.  Who knows if he even wants to be in boston?

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
Funny , seems like alot people on this BLOG would love to have Pau , as would every other NBA team ... except LA ....you read read their blogs , and they bad mouth him and belittle him like he is worthless rookie.   ???

LA fans are so used to having all the best players IN THEIR PRIME  , what they want to throw out is like GOLDEN for the rest of league.

Fortunately for LA, the mgmt is makin gthe decsions and are wiser , they know Pau is still a really good big., and worth a bit of $$$

I would still rather have Josh Smith than Pau , more becasue of age than talent.

I would REALLY hate to see the Capt be traded for anybody , especially to LA .... it hurt to see Ray play on the HEAT,   Pierce on the LAKERS would probally make me stop watching NBA till he retired.

Still think putting a package together for SMITH is the way to go.  Reason is , I think he'd likey help the Celtics made up deal that would work the under the cap.

I'm betting Danny is watching SMith really hard and our assets.

It's not the LA dislikes Pau, it's just they're forced to play him out of position for most of his minutes, first with Bynum and now with Howard. That and they have an incredibly weak stable of players/assets outside of their top 4 guys so they're looking to trade.  It would be like us having Tony Parker and Rondo and a big gaping hole at the 3-spot - one of them would be on the trading block constantly.

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 01:21:08 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No...

I'm not giving up three young talented players for one old more talented player.

Pau has no upside and is on the spiralling end of his career - he's a very good player but he will decline every year from here on out, and he does very little to help our defense or our effort level (he shows up when he feels like it, especially in the playoffs).

Plus his contact isn't pretty.

I pass - I'd rather Smith over Gasol any day, even if we needed to give up more to get him.

I can live with giving up Bass and either Lee OR Barbosa but not both.  Look at our current scenario at the guard spot in today's game - Rondo misses a game, and if Barbosa and Lee get traded away we would have had Terry and Pierce starting at the guard spots with Green starting at SF. 

Who becomes our backup PG?  Who becomes out backup SG? Who
becomes out backup SF?

We'd be calling Joseph up from the D league and asking him to play three positions...bad idea.

Plus what guards could we possible get from LA who are of any value?  Aside from Nash and Kobe they have nobody even worth spitting on.

P.s.

Regarding the idea of Trading Pierce, I doubt many other teams would be interested - I'm pretty sure he would retire in a heart beat rather then play somewhere he doesn't want to be, so it's a major risk for any opposing team.

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 02:50:49 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'd trade a lot for Pau Gasol in a second. Normally I'd trade for Gasol before I'd trade for Josh Smith. But not with this Celtics team. Doc is trying smallball and youth this season I guess. Gasol is neither of those things.

We could trade Bass, Green and Lee for Gasol. The salaries match and LA can waive a couple of rookies to fit their roster. In my opinion that isn't even a bad trade for LA. Green/Bass/Lee gives them the bench they so visibly lack and it frees up a lot more shots for their starting trio without Pau taking his 13.3FGA @ 42%. I really can't imagine the Celtics doing it though. It would totally cripple our 2nd unit and we'd have to pick up a SF somewhere. Pietrus maybe but it would have to be for the minimum as we have little else. After AB came back our roster would be:

Rondo/Barbosa
AB/Terry
Pierce/Joseph
Gasol/Sully
KG/Wilcox/Darko/Collins

with 3 roster spots to fill and about 2M to do it with. I can't see the logistics of that trade which is why a few people have suggested the trade would have to be centered around Pierce's contract. I also do not see that happening, from either side.

Gortat/Jefferson/Varejao/Millsap/Smith are all far more likely candidates for trades with the C's. If Utah can't find a place to move Millsap/Jefferson and doesn't plan to resign them they might take picks and filler for them around the deadline. Gortat would probably take AB and I'd hate to see that. Much as I loathe Anderson Varejao I think he's probably the best prospect we have outside of the Jazz.

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 03:03:58 AM »

fitzhickey

I'd rather be shot in the foot than see pierce on the lakers

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 03:44:59 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Utah can't find a place to move Millsap/Jefferson and doesn't plan to resign them they might take picks and filler for them around the deadline.

The problem is that the filler that a team in Utah's spot is usually looking for is an expiring contract.  With only $26m in salary committed for next season, they are probably entertaining the idea of trying to lure a good free agent, whether or not you think it is realistic to expect an all-star to willingly sign with Utah.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 08:15:45 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Like Milsaps game.  We could use that in Boston.

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
He's only worth something like Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie, the rights to Marc Gasol, and two late first rounders right?

I think he's got another little brother kicking around somewhere, let's do that.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 11:22:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
An inside scorer would help us against MIA a lot.   

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
I'd trade a lot for Pau Gasol in a second. Normally I'd trade for Gasol before I'd trade for Josh Smith. But not with this Celtics team. Doc is trying smallball and youth this season I guess. Gasol is neither of those things.

We could trade Bass, Green and Lee for Gasol. The salaries match and LA can waive a couple of rookies to fit their roster. In my opinion that isn't even a bad trade for LA. Green/Bass/Lee gives them the bench they so visibly lack and it frees up a lot more shots for their starting trio without Pau taking his 13.3FGA @ 42%. I really can't imagine the Celtics doing it though. It would totally cripple our 2nd unit and we'd have to pick up a SF somewhere. Pietrus maybe but it would have to be for the minimum as we have little else. After AB came back our roster would be:

Rondo/Barbosa
AB/Terry
Pierce/Joseph
Gasol/Sully
KG/Wilcox/Darko/Collins

with 3 roster spots to fill and about 2M to do it with. I can't see the logistics of that trade which is why a few people have suggested the trade would have to be centered around Pierce's contract. I also do not see that happening, from either side.

Gortat/Jefferson/Varejao/Millsap/Smith are all far more likely candidates for trades with the C's. If Utah can't find a place to move Millsap/Jefferson and doesn't plan to resign them they might take picks and filler for them around the deadline. Gortat would probably take AB and I'd hate to see that. Much as I loathe Anderson Varejao I think he's probably the best prospect we have outside of the Jazz.

I don't think Doc is married to the idea of small-ball.  He's just adapting the best available talent.

As for depth concerns, I think we'll end up with an 8 or 9 man rotation in the playoffs,  and 7 spots would be taken care of with Rondo/AB/Pierce/KG/Pau/JET/Sully (or Wilcox).

As I believe I mentioned in the OP, I would look to follow up the trade with an acquisition of a quick 4 like Kenyon Martin, which would free up Sully or Wilcox for use in a smaller trade to add a back-up wing with size (if no quality free agents are available).

Anyways, I would happily trade away quality 7th-10th men for an all-star level starter.  As others have pointed out, the main obstacle to my trade proposal is the Lakers prospects of getting more for Pau (or just keeping him), not the Celtics loss of depth.

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 12:13:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He's only worth something like Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie, the rights to Marc Gasol, and two late first rounders right?

I think he's got another little brother kicking around somewhere, let's do that.

Nice.

I'm glad Marc worked out--that trade looks like much less of a fleecing now than it did at the time.

Of course, it was still ridiculous.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.