Author Topic: Muhamad Ali dies at age 74  (Read 4243 times)

Re: Muhamad Ali dies at age 74
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 12:01:52 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
As a kid, I remember him as a larger than life fighter when boxing still had relevance. He was big, strong, fast, smart. Watching his fights with my grandfather, an amateur boxer himself, he pointed out things about Ali's performance that I never would have caught with my own eyes. He also fought every challenger.

As an adult, I came to understand more about his impact socially. The impact of his decisions, the costs of his convictions and came to respect and admire this man who was simply doing what he thought was right. He lost 3 years in the prime of his career, had his life repeatedly threatened, lost millions of dollars and went from hero to villain to most of America. But he stood by his convictions.

When Parkinson's ravaged his body and silenced his voice, he became more resolute in his quest to be a force for change. Getting involved with hostage negotiations, the first prominent muslin to speak out against the 9/11 attacks and trying to make the world a better place one day at a time.

Ali was a boxer, arguably one of the best. But Ali was also a larger than life man, arguably one of the best as well.

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 12:57:19 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I had the great fortune of interviewing Ali before he lost his ability to speak. He was a man of great intelligence - even though it didn't fit the carefully crafted persona he built - and great depth. Great athlete, better man.

I will always remember one thing he said to me, "Muslim, Christian, Hindu, whatever - You can't love God if you don't love all His children."

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 01:23:21 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 :laugh: "Hating people becuase of their color is just plain wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong" Ali.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:48:32 PM by KG Living Legend »