Author Topic: Serena Williams 1 win away from being defending champion in all 4 majors (again)  (Read 6597 times)

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Doesn't happen very often and she will be a heavy favorite against 20th seed Muguruza in the Final on Saturday, though Muguruza did beat her in last years French Open. 

This would be the second time she has been the defending champion in all four majors if she pulls it out.  She has not yet had a calendar year Grand Slam, but would be the heavy favorite at the US Open.

Also of note, if she wins she will have 21 Major Titles, which is just 1 behind Graff in the open era and 3 behind Court all time.

Interesting to see her place in history when all is said done though Graff's 8 titles in 9 majors is something I don't think we see ever again.  Just absolutely amazing run for Graff from the 88 Australian to the 90 Australian.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Do they test for PED's in Tennis?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32

Because she's not skinny? Give me a break, look at the WNBA all of those women would be tested, they're muscular as hell.

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Because she's not skinny? Give me a break, look at the WNBA all of those women would be tested, they're muscular as hell.

More so because she is 33 and Tennis much like Soccer is often a young person's game.  Steffi Graf widely known as one of the best female tennis players of all time, arguably the best, retired at the age of 30 and won her last major at the age of 30.  Williams as the OP said could be the defending champ of the last 4 majors at age 33...
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

More so because she is 33 and Tennis much like Soccer is often a young person's game.  Steffi Graf widely known as one of the best female tennis players of all time, arguably the best, retired at the age of 30 and won her last major at the age of 30.  Williams as the OP said could be the defending champ of the last 4 majors at age 33...
I think it is more there just isn't any credible consistent opponents for her.  the women's game really is just weak right now on the whole.  I mean Serena has beaten Sharapova something like 20 straight times.  The same Sharapova that is ranked 4th in the world. 

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

I think it is more there just isn't any credible consistent opponents for her.  the women's game really is just weak right now on the whole.  I mean Serena has beaten Sharapova something like 20 straight times.  The same Sharapova that is ranked 4th in the world.

That's fair, so right now she is basically the UConn womens basketball team of tennis.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

That's fair, so right now she is basically the UConn womens basketball team of tennis.
Serena also took some time off in the middle of her career for other pursuits as well as injuries she recovered from.  She doesn't have the mileage of most 33 year old tennis players (though is probably like 30 or 31 in tennis age).  She has missed something like 11 majors including 3 in a row at one point and two other times of back to back misses.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Serena was serving for the match at 5/3 in the 2nd set and gets broken.  she then immediately breaks back for the straight sets victory and is now the defending champion in all 4 majors for the 2nd time in her career and will be the heavy favorite at the US Open to win the calendar year grand slam.  The first since Graff in 88. 

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
She is the greatest women's player of all time. Move over, Martina and Steffi.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Serena amazingly lost the 2nd set to an unseeded Italian in the semi finals at the Open.  Up 2-0 and serving in the 3rd set though.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Serena choking.  Now down 4-3 and Vinci is serving.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
What a set.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Yep.  Serena loses, no calendar year Grand Slam and no tie of Graff.

Two Italians will meet in the Final.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio