Author Topic: Dustin Johnson just disqualified from playoff in PGA Championship  (Read 2642 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
On the 72nd hole of the championship Johnson hit the ball wide right into the crowd, The ball landed in a bald patch of trampled down dirt and Johnson hit the ball and eventually saved par to enter into a three way tie and a three hole playoff.

As he was coming off the 18th green thinking he was in the playoff a judge came over and told him the trampled down dirt area was actually a sand bunker and that he grounded his club for a two stroke penalty. hence, he finished 2 strokes behind the leaders and out of contention for the playoff.

The bunker didn't look like any bunker I had ever seen. It looked like a bare batch of dirt. Just a travesty.

Re: Dustin Johnson just disqualified from playoff in PGA Championship
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 07:31:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
One of the scoring officials was just on CBS, and he said that players were warned repeatedly (in writing, verbally, and on signs in the locker room) that areas like that were treated as bunkers.  That being the case, I guess the onus was on Johnson to clarify.

It sucks, though, because it's a terrible way to lose a tournament.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes