Author Topic: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look: Conference Finals winners announced!!  (Read 90527 times)

Re: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look
« Reply #375 on: April 02, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Oklahoma City after the draft.

PG: Jrue Holiday ('17-'18)/ Isaiah Thomas ('16-'17)
SG: Paul George ('18-'19) / Aaron McKie ('00-'01)
SF: Paul Pierce ('07-'08) / Tayshaun Prince ('04-'05)
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge ('15-'16) / Shareef Abdur-Raheem ('02-'03)
C : Jemaine O'neal ('03-'04) / Ben Wallace ('03-'04)

Deep bench: Bradley Beal ('19-'20), Ben Simmons ('19-'20), Larry Hughes ('04-'05), Brian Scalabrine ('08-'09)

10 man rotation. Jermaine O'Neal will be starting over Ben Wallace. The added offense he provides is vital for our balanced scoring attack. We think we have a good to great defensive squad. If need be, we have Isaiah Thomas and Shareef Abdur-Rahim as our extra scoring punch from the bench. Both our reserve wings are good to elite defenders, with one of them being a former 6th Man of the Year winner. And to top it off, we have one of the best interior defender and rebounder backing up JO in Big Ben Wallace.

If need be, we can go deep with our needs. If we need more defense from our guard, 1st Team All-NBA Defense Larry Hughes could provide. Scoring? There's Bradley Beal. Extra playmaker, we have Ben Simmons, who happens to be leading the league in steals this season. To just fully shut it down and call it a night, well, you know who we'd call for that.

We like where we are. Here's hoping the voters like us too.

I think you're making a mistake burying Bradley Beal as "deep bench"
Yeah, doing means you made a massive mistake taking him in the 6th round.

And now that you value him as a deep bench player and made that known, if you try to trade him you will get no value back.

You might be "stuck" with him.

On that team, Beal would be my 3rd guard/6th man getting 30 minutes while IT would be a 10-15 minute offensive sparkplug. McKie should be your deep bench guard stopper you might use in games you are losing because the opposition's guard is going off.

I would also start Wallace and split time between him and Jermaine O'Neal down the middle.

I also see Beal as being a sixth man/sparkplug off the bench.

Well, boy am I glad I threw in the lineup out there for people to comment on. Thanks, folks.

We'll call a timeout and change the rotation.

PG: Jrue Holiday ('17-'18) / Larry Hughes ('04-'05)
SG: Paul George ('18-'19) / Bradley Beal ('19-'20)

Deep bench: Isaiah Thomas ('16-'17), Aaron McKie ('00-'01), Ben Simmons ('19-'20),  Brian Scalabrine ('08-'09)
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #376 on: April 02, 2020, 06:04:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Deep bench: Bradley Beal ('19-'20), Ben Simmons ('19-'20), Larry Hughes ('04-'05), Brian Scalabrine ('08-'09)

10 man rotation. Jermaine O'Neal will be starting over Ben Wallace. The added offense he provides is vital for our balanced scoring attack. We think we have a good to great defensive squad. If need be, we have Isaiah Thomas and Shareef Abdur-Rahim as our extra scoring punch from the bench. Both our reserve wings are good to elite defenders, with one of them being a former 6th Man of the Year winner. And to top it off, we have one of the best interior defender and rebounder backing up JO in Big Ben Wallace.

If need be, we can go deep with our needs. If we need more defense from our guard, 1st Team All-NBA Defense Larry Hughes could provide. Scoring? There's Bradley Beal. Extra playmaker, we have Ben Simmons, who happens to be leading the league in steals this season. To just fully shut it down and call it a night, well, you know who we'd call for that.

And now that you value him as a deep bench player and made that known, if you try to trade him you will get no value back.

On that team, Beal would be my 3rd guard/6th man getting 30 minutes while IT would be a 10-15 minute offensive sparkplug. McKie should be your deep bench guard stopper you might use in games you are losing because the opposition's guard is going off.

I would also start Wallace and split time between him and Jermaine O'Neal down the middle.

Well, boy am I glad I threw in the lineup out there for people to comment on. Thanks, folks.

Deep bench: Isaiah Thomas ('16-'17), Aaron McKie ('00-'01), Ben Simmons ('19-'20),  Brian Scalabrine ('08-'09)
Hughes played almost exclusively at SG. Not sure why you switched IT out of the backup PG position.

« Reply #377 on: April 02, 2020, 06:13:04 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
My Denver Nuggets!!!
-Starter:
PG: Gary Payton (1999-2000)
SG: Richard Hamilton (2005-2006)
SF: Carmelo Anthony (2012-2013)
PF: Draymond Green (2015-2016)
C: Tim Duncan (2001-2002)

-Second String:
PG: Kyrie Irving (2017-2018)
SG: Raja Bell (2006-2007)
SF: Glenn Robinson (2000-2001)
PF: Anthony Mason (2000-2001)
C: DeMarcus Cousins (2016-2017)

-Deep Bench:
PG: Steve Francis (2000-2001)
SG: Danny Green (2014-2015)
SF: Robert Covington (2018-2019)
C: Zydrunas Ilgauska (2005-2006)
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #378 on: April 02, 2020, 06:15:00 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
My Denver Nuggets!!!
-Starter:

-Second String:

-Deep Bench:

There's a lot to figure out with personalities, but talent wise this is a super fun and exciting team.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #379 on: April 02, 2020, 06:15:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

As others have mentioned, Beal should be a major player on this team.  His shooting and tertiary offensive creation are too good to leave on your bench.

Personally, I'd use the front court a bit different, as well.  I'd start Wallace and O'Neal, and have LMA as your 3rd big, playing him at both center next to O'Neal and forward next to Wallace.  I liked O'Neal as a PF much more than as a center.  He was an excellent defensive player at his peak, and next to Wallace would give you a very stout front line.

I think my rotation would look more like the following:

PG - J Holiday / I Thomas
SG - P George/  B Beal
SF - P Pierce / S Abdur-Rahim
PF - J O'Neal / L Aldridge
  C - B Wallace

« Reply #380 on: April 02, 2020, 06:16:44 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Interested to hear feedback on the Utah Jazz

Here are my thoughts on approximate minute distributions.  It's of course not rigid.  Trae could get some more situational use.  Tristan Thompson (not listed) will be used situationally.  Peja or Mashburn could play some 4 at times alongside Shaq when teams go small (eating into Tucker's minutes).

PG:  Kidd (30) / Rondo (14) / Trae Young (4)
SG:  Reggie Miller (26) / Jaylen (12) / Smart (10)
SF:  Peja (26) / Mashburn (12) / Jaylen (10)
PF:  Horford (24) / Boozer (12) / PJ Tucker (12)
C:  Shaq (36) / Horford (6) / Okur (6)

I decided Carlos Boozer will exclusively be used when Shaq is on the bench.  He'll be paired with Horford or Okur as a floor-spreading center and I think he'll be a very nice pick & roll partner with Trae Young or Kidd during those stretches.
No need to use a 13-man rotation in the playoffs. If I were you, I'd be using my best players as much as possible.

Check out the numbers from the 2000 NBA Finals. Shaq was playing 45.6 minutes per game! Reggie was playing 42 minutes per game (at the age of 35).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2000-nba-finals-pacers-vs-lakers.html

Anyway, in the first rounds I'd go with something like this:

PG:  Kidd (36) / Rondo (12)
SG:  Reggie Miller (36) / Jaylen (12)
SF:  Peja (36) / Mashburn (12)
PF:  Horford (24) / Boozer (12) / PJ Tucker (12) <-- only because you don't wanna play Shaq and Boozer together
C:  Shaq (36) / Horford (12)

(in close games Shaq would be playing north of 40 minutes)

That would be a 10-man rotation.

Yeah those projections I gave would be regular season and meant to portray more of a season average.  They'd certainly tighten up to a 9-10 man rotation in postseason and also change a bit depending on opponent.  Thanks for the feedback, TP.

But also a reason I think why a team's stars play such big minutes in NBA postseasons is because there is such a drastic difference in talent between a team's #1 player and their #10 player.  A tired Shaq in his 42nd minute is still a wayyyy better player than a fully rested Travis Knight.  With no Travis Knights in this game, it's reasonable to not rely SO heavily on your star players for absurd #s of minutes.  Star players probably don't need to play more than 38 minutes.  An example of this is the Gold Medal Olympic game in 2012.  The highest stakes and a very close game.  The three highest minutes played were Durant 38, CP3 33, Lebron 30.
FIBA games last 40 minutes, not 48 minutes like NBA games. Besides, the 2012 US Olympic team was way better than any of the teams in this draft. They had LeBron + KD + Kobe + Chris Paul + prime Carmelo + a bunch of other stars. That team would win our league by a landslide.

If you ask me, a tired Shaq in his 42nd minute is still better than any other Center in this league (given that the opposing starting Centers would be tired as well).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:21:45 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #381 on: April 02, 2020, 06:17:25 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150

Hughes played almost exclusively at SG. Not sure why you switched IT out of the backup PG position.

If you're worried about IT's defense, I like the idea of going with a tighter playoff rotation of Jrue, PG, Pierce, LMA, Wallace / JO as starters and then Wallace / JO off the bench with Simmons, Beal, Prince.

That gives you a big man rotation of LMA, Wallace, and JO that is self-sufficient over 48 minutes. Prince and Simmons have a ton of defensive versatility. Beal provides your offensive punch off the bench. You don't really need Hughes if you have Simmons on the floor as a playmaker.

If Simmons plays alongside Beal, Prince, JO, and LMA, that's more than enough floor spacing to compensate for his issues in my opinion.

EDIT: On second thought, I don't know if you even need Prince. I think your team is incredibly capable and set up to run an 8 man rotation of Jrue, Paul, Paul, JO, LMA, Wallace, Beal, Simmons. Beal gets his 24-30 minutes giving the Pauls a break. Simmons subs in for Jrue. You get:

Ballhandlers: Jrue, Simmons
Playmakers / Scorers / Wings: Paul, Paul, Beal
Bigs: LMA, JO, Wallace

All of your Ballhandlers and Wings can guard multiple positions, and a couple of them can guard 1-4.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:22:59 PM by theswitch »
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #382 on: April 02, 2020, 06:33:23 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Mainly? Defense. I could still switch it to IT.

« Reply #383 on: April 02, 2020, 06:33:37 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I don't think you can ignore the season IT had on offense and exclude that from your rotation.  As a microwave scorer, when things get a little sideways, that's an excellent ace-in-the-hole to have at your disposal.

I don't really rate Ben Simmons.  He hasn't really proven to me he's a hugely positive impact on winning basketball games.  I'd rather have Beal function as the defacto backup at both PG and SG primarily, with IT getting whatever is left of the guard minutes.  Let him come in and go supernova for short stretches and really throw an opponent off.

« Reply #384 on: April 02, 2020, 06:39:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
My Denver Nuggets!!!
-Starter:

-Second String:

-Deep Bench:

Obviously, your first unit is awesome but your second unit is a must watch League Pass with those personalities.  I do like the ying & yang of your backcourt but Mase & Boogie together is exciting.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #385 on: April 02, 2020, 06:40:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't think you can ignore the season IT had on offense and exclude that from your rotation.  As a microwave scorer, when things get a little sideways, that's an excellent ace-in-the-hole to have at your disposal.

I don't really rate Ben Simmons.  He hasn't really proven to me he's a hugely positive impact on winning basketball games.  I'd rather have Beal function as the defacto backup at both PG and SG primarily, with IT getting whatever is left of the guard minutes.  Let him come in and go supernova for short stretches and really throw an opponent off.

But wouldn't him and Bradley Beal be redundant, don't you think.

I'm not ignoring IT4, I'm just thinking that in this team, both him and Beal will play the similar 6th man type scorer. Wouldn't having two of them in the rotation be too much? I'm thinking if I can have one of them, and then supplant the other with some defense and low-usage play, it would make for a better fit.

I really don't know where I'm going. LOL. I'm glad I'm getting a lot of feedback.

« Reply #386 on: April 02, 2020, 06:56:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I'm not ignoring IT4, I'm just thinking that in this team, both him and Beal will play the similar 6th man type scorer. Wouldn't having two of them in the rotation be too much? I'm thinking if I can have one of them, and then supplant the other with some defense and low-usage play, it would make for a better fit.

I really don't know where I'm going. LOL. I'm glad I'm getting a lot of feedback.

I think it depends on how you use George.  If George takes some of the backup minutes at SF, there are more guard minutes.  But if George plays all his minutes at guard, there's no room for anyone other than Beal to get guard minutes anyways.  You have some good backup SF options, though, particularly early career Shareef.  I'm not sure there's much need to play George at forward except maybe as a small-ball four alongside Pierce and Beal in certain matchups.

« Reply #387 on: April 02, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I think it depends on how you use George.  If George takes some of the backup minutes at SF, there are more guard minutes.  But if George plays all his minutes at guard, there's no room for anyone other than Beal to get guard minutes anyways.  You have some good backup SF options, though, particularly early career Shareef.  I'm not sure there's much need to play George at forward except maybe as a small-ball four alongside Pierce and Beal in certain matchups.

Well, the idea would be to give the most, if not all the SF minutes, to three guys.

Paul Pierce
Paul George
Tayshaun Prince

Yeah, I would like to have some combination of Paul George and Bradley Beal out there for some periods of time.

« Reply #388 on: April 02, 2020, 07:09:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You have to get out of the thinking that starters play with starters and bench with bench. There is simply no reason not to have IT play all his minutes next to George and Beal alongside Jrue. That mitigates any defensive deficiencies you have in your backcourt.

I mean, I know everyone loves two way players but IT in Boston is proof you can have a great offensive/poor defensive player and still have a tremendous defense. Not everybody in your rotation has to be a good to great defender to maximize the effectiveness of your team.

For instance, Who's Boston team is probably the best offensive team in this game. His team doesn't have to have a bunch of defensive players in the rotation because all the defense needs to be is good enough to win games. A mediocre team defense will be enough to maximize his team's performance and make his team a contender.

« Reply #389 on: April 02, 2020, 11:35:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've finally decided on the seasons for my LA Clippers. I've included the basic box score numbers (rounded up or down depending on what was closest) for them, and I'll go into detailing why I chose who I chose later in the process.

Starters:
PG: Steph Curry (2015-16): 30PPG, 7APG, 5RPG, 2SPG, shooting splits of 50/45/91.

SG: Michael Redd (2005-06): 25PPG, 4RPG, 3APG, 1SPG, shooting splits of 45/40/88.

SF: Grant Hill (1999-2000): 26PPG, 7RPG, 5APG, 1SPG, shooting splits of 49/35/80.

PF: Elton Brand (2005-06):  25PPG, 10RPG, 3APG, 2.6BPG, 1SPG, shooting splits of 53/33/78.

C: Joakim Noah (2013-14): 13PPG, 11RPG, 5.5APG, 1.5BG, 1SPG, shooting splits of 48/0/74.

Second String:
PG: Deron Williams (2009-10): 19PPG, 11APG, 4RPG, 1SPG, shooting splits of 47/37/80.

SG: Doug Christie (2002-03): 9PPG, 5APG, 4RPG, 2.5SPG, shooting splits of 48/40/81.

SF: Hedo Turkoglu (2007-08): 20PPG, 6RPG, 5APG, 1SPG, shooting splits of 46/40/83.

PF: Lamar Odom (2005-06): 15PPG, 9RPG, 6APG, 1SPG, 1BPG, shooting splits of 48/37/69.

C: Andrew Bynum (2011-12): 19PPG, 12RPG, 1APG, 2BPG, shooting splits of 56/20/69.

Third String:
PG: Penny Hardaway (1999-2000): 17PPG, 6RPG, 5APG, 2SPG, shooting splits of 47/32/79.

SG: Leandro Barbosa (2006-07): 18PPG, 4APG, 3RPG, 1SPG, shooting splits of 48/43/85.

PF: Josh Smith (2009-10): 16PPG, 9RPG, 4APG, 2BPG, 1.5SPG, shooting splits of 51/0/62.

C: David Lee (2009-10): 20PPG, 12RPG, 3.5APG, 1SPG, shooting splits of 55/0/81.

What do people think? :)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)