Author Topic: Orioles' Adam Jones Berated by Racist Taunts at Fenway Park  (Read 28247 times)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
From the Red Sox/Orioles game on 5/1/17

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/05/01/orioles-adam-jones-berated-racist-taunts-fenway-park-peanuts/101187172/

“A disrespectful fan threw a bag of peanuts at me,’’ Jones said, “I was called the N-word a handful of times tonight. Thanks. Pretty awesome.’’

Jones, one of just 62 African-Americans on opening-day rosters this year, said he has been subjected to racist hecklings in the past at Fenway Park, but said this was one of the worst experiences of his 12-year career.

I know this is the Red Sox and not the Celtics, but it falls in line with what many Cs fans have been worried about in trying to lure free agents - that Boston is a racist city.

This obviously doesn't go for the majority of Boston fans. Massachusetts is known to be a very liberal state, but this is exactly the kind-of stigma a city doesn't want to be associated with.

Do you think this will affect the Celtics' ability to sign free agents?

Re: Orioles' Adam Jones Berated by Racist Taunts at Fenway Park
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/05/01/orioles-adam-jones-berated-racist-taunts-fenway-park-peanuts/101187172/

“A disrespectful fan threw a bag of peanuts at me,’’ Jones said, “I was called the N-word a handful of times tonight. Thanks. Pretty awesome.’’

Jones, one of just 62 African-Americans on opening-day rosters this year, said he has been subjected to racist hecklings in the past at Fenway Park, but said this was one of the worst experiences of his 12-year career.

I know this is the Red Sox and not the Celtics, but it falls in line with what many Cs fans have been worried about in trying to lure free agents - that Boston is a racist city.

This obviously doesn't go for the majority of Boston fans. Massachusetts is known to be a very liberal state, but this is exactly the kind-of stigma a city doesn't want to be associated with.

Just because of a few ignorant fools....doesnt mean the city is racist as a whole

If any potential FA that doesnt know the city feels that way ...bc of xyz incidents...then too bad for them

Lastly there is nothing you can do about these ignorant people...there are always a few bad apples everywhere ....past current future

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
These people should be arrested for hate crime

Someone should ask them. .Point blank.. Why are you acting like this? Why?  ...  Make them understand this behaviour is not tolerable

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Disgusting behavior.
Certainly doesn't help the city of Boston reputation.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 02:56:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Red Sox GM claims no one was ejected for racist language last night, but they did eject the fan for throwing the bag of peanuts.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Red Sox GM claims no one was ejected for racist language last night, but they did eject the fan for throwing the bag of peanuts.

this isnt what I read.  Jones said he felt 59 or 60 people got ejected, the red sox said they felt the number was around half that amount.

So 30 or so people got ejected from the ballpark last night......that seems like a lot for a monday night game in the middle of the regular season with nothing on the line.

No that doesnt mean that all 30 people got ejected for using the N word, doesnt mean any of them did, but it seems like something crazy was going on there last night
Greg

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It's so convenient that everyone right now is talking about alleged racial slurs instead of how Betts got drilled with a 95 mph fastball.

I'm so glad Pedroia reached out to the Orioles the other day to "clear the air", that seems to have worked out just great. Perhaps he should call again to apologize that Mookie stood in the way of that pitch.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:38:56 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 03:37:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I think it could but then I think people like KG and Pierce and Bill Russell might get on that phone and be like "Boston is an awesome place to win a ring."

I also think their agent will look at money offered....and where it was offered from.

I mean if you're a free agent....would you rather go to ...idk...Atlanta? Salt Lake City? Toronto....oh Toronto has some darn high taxes.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
I simply do not believe someone used racist language toward Jones. With all the other fans around and everyone with smart phones. I don't believe it until I actually see and hear it.  I do believe that some numb nuts did throw peanuts at him but that alone doesn't mean its a racist act, it just means the bonehead didn't have anything else to throw.  The media is too quick to jump on this a a racist incident.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 04:17:50 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I simply do not believe someone used racist language toward Jones. With all the other fans around and everyone with smart phones. I don't believe it until I actually see and hear it.  I do believe that some numb nuts did throw peanuts at him but that alone doesn't mean its a racist act, it just means the bonehead didn't have anything else to throw.  The media is too quick to jump on this a a racist incident.

It ain't like it hasn't happened before.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2017/05/ugly-history-boston-being-most-racist-sports-city-america
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Is there video of the peanuts incident, despite all the cell phones?

Why do you think that happened, but are skeptical that a handful of 35,000 fans are racist? Is it because of Adam Jones' (recipient of the Roberto Clemente award) poor character?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Luckily we were able to sign Horford this off-season and many of the other players on our team seem to love playing in Boston. We have also built a winning culture with great young players and top 3 coach.

I don't necessarily think this will make potential free agents run away screaming, it just doesn't help the city's reputation.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 04:53:35 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
People on SoSH have been calling for the crowd to give a standing ovation to Jones. Mookie Betts tweeted the same suggestion. I love the idea. I think if the fans do it thunderously enough it could turn an awful moment in Boston sports history into a proud moment.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
People on SoSH have been calling for the crowd to give a standing ovation to Jones. Mookie Betts tweeted the same suggestion. I love the idea. I think if the fans do it thunderously enough it could turn an awful moment in Boston sports history into a proud moment.
People should be talking about which Oriole will be getting drilled tonight. Bleh.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 05:02:47 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
People should be talking about which Oriole will be getting drilled tonight. Bleh.

You should care more about what prospective free agents and trade targets are talking about tonight as they watch the Celtics. Fortunately the timing of the games makes it possible for the crowd cheering Jones to be the thing being talked about in the news cycle and grapevine an hour before tipoff, the thing those Possible Future Celtics will remember more about Boston fans. Baseball codes of honor should not be on your mind. This will affect all sports in the city, too, not just the Celtics. What happens in the next several hours could affect all our teams' chances at recruiting players, could sink or could save our city's reputation around the nation.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.