Author Topic: 2018 Red Sox Thread  (Read 48442 times)

Re: 2018 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2018, 09:37:32 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Sox win, Sox win in 10th!! Incredible sweep!!!

Alex got so quiet during that comeback- Perfect!!!

Love this Red Sox team.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Love this Red Sox team.

They seem to be winning a lot
Yup

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
My phone screen is getting replaced at home and technician showed up wearing a Yankees hat! I did not say anything and am biting my tongue. I dont want him to destroy my phone!

They do seem to have a special something to them this year. Almost feels like 2013 but with better talent. Very humble players, and the coach has won me over so far.

Hoping the playoffs will follow the season results. It will tough as Houston and Yankees and Indians will be tough wins for sure. The only thing they need right now is a left handed reliever- that is a worry.

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2018, 02:33:02 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Don’t start celebrating in August, plenty of time for Yankees to get healthy and the Astros are always lurking.

Despite their record, I really don’t think they are the best team in the AL. Everything is going right for them and they have mostly been beating up on the bad teams (Yanks have not been playing well recently).

Too many guys having career years to reasonably think it’s sustainable throughout the postseason, but we shall see.

Can’t JD opt-out after the season? I wonder if he’s going to want to renegotiate?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Despite their record, I really don’t think they are the best team in the AL.

How would you define best team?

They've got the best record in MLB by 8 games over the second best team, the most runs scored in the majors, and the second fewest runs allowed.  Their run differential is +69 on the Yankees.

I think they're unquestionably the best team in baseball.  The best team doesn't always win, but the Sox are a great team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2018, 03:34:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Despite their record, I really don’t think they are the best team in the AL.

How would you define best team?

They've got the best record in MLB by 8 games over the second best team, the most runs scored in the majors, and the second fewest runs allowed.  Their run differential is +69 on the Yankees.

I think they're unquestionably the best team in baseball.  The best team doesn't always win, but the Sox are a great team.
agreed. for the bulk of the season so far, the red sox are clearly the best team in baseball. i do remind myself that seattle won 116 games not too long ago, and were bumped out of the playoffs without winning the world series. it's good to keep that in mind.

but clearly by any reasonable measurement, especially w/l, no other teams come very close to the sox in terms of success. here is part of a well researched post in SoSH where they discussed this very point. The evidence is really compelling:

...the on-field performance by the players...

Hitting (MLB rank):
- 1st in runs scored (600; next best is NYY and Hou at 564)
- 1st in average (.269; next best is ChC at .267)
- 3rd in on-base (.336; 1st is ChC at .345)
- 1st in slugging (.457; next best is NYY at .454)
- 1st in OPS (.794; next best is NYY at .784)
- 1st in total bases (1802; next best is NYY at 1705)
- 5th in HR (151; 1st is NYY at 175)
- 2nd in OPS+ (110; 1st is Hou at 113)

Baserunning (MLB rank):
- 2nd in stolen bases (87; 1st is Mil at 88)
- t1st in SB% (82.86%; tied with LAA)
- 6th in bases taken (126; 1st is LAD at 140)

Fielding (MLB rank):
- 9th in defensive efficiency (.699; 1st is Oak at .710)
- 5th in fielding % (.987; 1st is Ari at .990)
- 3rd in total runs above average (+42; 1st is ChC at +49)

Pitching (MLB rank):
- 2nd in runs allowed per game (3.62; 1st is Hou at 3.23)
- 2nd in ERA (3.43; 1st is Hou at 3.03)
- 2nd in FIP (3.57; 1st is Hou at 3.16)
- t1st in ERA+ (129; tied with Hou)
- 3rd in WHIP (1.198; 1st is Hou at 1.071)
- 3rd in k/9 (9.6; 1st is Hou at 10.6)
- 4th in starters ERA (3.49; 1st is Hou at 3.02)
- 4th in starters WHIP (1.18; 1st is Hou at 1.09)
- 2nd in starters k/9 (9.59; 1st is Hou at 10.46)
- 5th in relievers ERA (3.33; 1st is Hou at 3.07)
- 5th in relievers WHIP (1.24; 1st is Hou at 1.04)
- 6th in relievers k/9 (9.60; 1st is NYY at 11.54)
- 4th in save % (76.60%; 1st is Oak at 78.57%)

So what we have here is:
- The very best offense in all of baseball, in almost every way imaginable.
- A top-level base running team.
- Excellent defensive team (not elite, but excellent).
- And elite overall pitching staff, balanced between top 5 starting staff and top 5 bullpen.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?threads/this-is-the-best-red-sox-team-ever.24451/page-3
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Don’t start celebrating in August, plenty of time for Yankees to get healthy and the Astros are always lurking.

Despite their record, I really don’t think they are the best team in the AL. Everything is going right for them and they have mostly been beating up on the bad teams (Yanks have not been playing well recently).

Too many guys having career years to reasonably think it’s sustainable throughout the postseason, but we shall see.

Can’t JD opt-out after the season? I wonder if he’s going to want to renegotiate?
The Red Sox have baseball's best record against teams above .500
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2018, 09:05:26 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I heard this stat on the radio broadcast last night  - which I added one more win to following the result:

The Sox are 25-1 in Sandy Leon's last 26 starts.
Yup

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Best record in the entire league as of May 31! (39-17)  ;D

And boy JD Martinez has been a godsend. (.322 BA, 18 HR, 47 RBI). He's been the bat we sorely missed last season and for the last two postseasons IMHO.

As expected, it's a tight two-way race between the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East, but dang the remaining three teams are already 10 games back or more... And hell, Baltimore is like 21 games back and it's still May...  :o
enjoy it while you can.  god knows I'm enjoying the current success of my Brewers with the best record in the National League.  I don't expect it to stay that way for long but early success is better than none.
just bumping this to say I'm soooooo glad to eat crow on this as my Brewers finish the season with the best record in the National League, coming back to catch the Cubs on the last day and beat them in the playoff. 
AWESOME.    only the second division title since 1982. 

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2018, 09:17:57 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Yeah, but they're winless against the Yankees if you throw out all the games that they won
I'm bitter.

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2018, 09:34:13 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Thought of Sox vs Yanks gets me super excited and super nervous

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2018, 11:55:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Thought of Sox vs Yanks gets me super excited and super nervous

And in a 5 game series for the first time
Yup

« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2018, 02:29:03 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Red Sox against the other 4 AL postseason teams: 18-21
Astros against the other 4 AL postseason teams: 22-18
Yankees against the other 4 AL postseason teams: 21-17
Athletics against the other 4 AL postseason teams: 18-19
Indians against the other 4 AL postseason teams: 11-16

Those are the records that matter, and only the Indians were worse against the elite.

Red Sox also found unusual success in day games (.756 winning percentage), of which they may not see any this postseason.

I’d say Astros are favored at the moment.

Yankees and Red Sox are an intriguing matchup, as many of their games were blowouts and few had both teams at full strength. Sox should beat Oakland if that’s who they get. Yanks and Sox in a five game series is still too strange of a concept.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2018, 08:57:41 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I think the league should seriously consider reseeding teams based on their record for the ALDS.

Not just this yr but you don't fight for the best record in the league only to find yourself in a situation where you meet possibly the next best team after you in just the divisional series.

Cleveland is in a pathetic division yet because they won the central division gets the third seed automatically.

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2018, 11:19:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think the league should seriously consider reseeding teams based on their record for the ALDS.

Not just this yr but you don't fight for the best record in the league only to find yourself in a situation where you meet possibly the next best team after you in just the divisional series.

Cleveland is in a pathetic division yet because they won the central division gets the third seed automatically.
not just the ALDS but NLDS as well.